Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,532,354 times

Advertisements

Sounds like this guy wasn't supposed to be driving a bus and the bus company knew it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
You know, I might be going on a limb here, but from reading what you wrote, you think that these people are idiots, right?

Not only complete utter idiots, but a danger to sane drivers everwhere! they usually hurt or kill other people while themselves escape with no injuries.

Ignorant to boot, for it takes what less then a second to lose control.

Well does azz-hole sound much better, that was my first thought.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,170,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
FL have no cellphone law yet

I think they just passed one, it has no teeth, of course. The cops can't pull someone over for using their cellphone while driving, they can only cite them if they're pulled over for something else.

People on their cells have very little awareness of their surroundings. I've seen people actually walk into the middle of a busy road while talking on their cellphones. Completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

Unless you're talking someone through a birth or a medical procedure, I don't understand the urgent need to have that thing glued to the side of your head all the time.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think they just passed one, it has no teeth, of course. The cops can't pull someone over for using their cellphone while driving, they can only cite them if they're pulled over for something else.

People on their cells have very little awareness of their surroundings. I've seen people actually walk into the middle of a busy road while talking on their cellphones. Completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

Unless you're talking someone through a birth or a medical procedure, I don't understand the urgent need to have that thing glued to the side of your head all the time.

Boy are you ever right. People i know have their phones with them 24/7. Even taking the phone to the bathroom with them, really, really.

Come on now. The thing is most of the people using their phones while driving, are so oblivious to other drivers and what is going on around them, paying strict attention to their phone only.

Two weeks ago someone texting while driving came very close to hitting us, and never realized it, if we did not have fast reflexes, really fast, we would have been hit, and this person would never have realized what they did.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM

199 posts, read 243,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Very sad news! A bus driver was distracted by his cellphone that he lost control and crashed into lamppost that fell and hit an 8 months old baby girl today in New Jersey right across New York City. This horrible tragedy could have been avoided if the driver paid attention and not used his cellphone while driving!

Please Do NOT use cellphone while driving! (Whether it is law or not in your state)

Bus Driver on Phone Lost Control, Hit Pole That Fell on Stroller, Killing Baby: Sheriff | NBC New York

Bus Driver Charged In Crash That Kills 8-Month-Old Baby In West New York - New Jersey. 7/30/13 - WEST NEW YORK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP)

How horrible. But I thought they weren't allowed to carry their cell phones?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,963,614 times
The accident occurred in West , NY which is in NJ. The bus is owned by Sphinx Transportation and provides private shuttle services between some northern NJ towns and NYC. Private shuttle buses are common in NJ and some operate 24/7.

Cell phone talking/texting, while driving is a problem, everywhere. I believe NJ bans all hand held phone use while driving.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,890,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The accident occurred in West , NY which is in NJ. The bus is owned by Sphinx Transportation and provides private shuttle services between some northern NJ towns and NYC. Private shuttle buses are common in NJ and some operate 24/7.

Cell phone talking/texting, while driving is a problem, everywhere. I believe NJ bans all hand held phone use while driving.
True

Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 PM

68,409 posts, read 54,706,291 times
There's a simple solution, Cell phones have a GPS device, require them to be configured so they're disabled at speeds above say 2 1/2MPH. And yes, I know, that would prevent passengers from using their phones, but if a call isn't important enough to pull to the side of the road it's certainly not important enough to kill someone over.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,232,456 times
Until the cell phone/texters start getting long jail sentences just for being caught using one NOTHING WILL CHANGE...

Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM

16,916 posts, read 10,662,894 times
Do we know the cell phone actually played a role in the accident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies