Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,139,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So saying I have more of a connection to a girl who was savagely beaten than I do a drug dealer on the street is "spewing garbage"

But I agree, I should not have brought up a controversial topic on the "politics and other controversies" board...

No, you need to spew your racism where it's most appreaciated. When you post a thread like this, then comment as you do, why are you surprised at the derision you receive from it?

Again, ask a black person--face to face-- on the street what exactly is the black experience. Then throw in your comment about pigs feet, and include watermelon and house ******s in for good measure. You know, intelligent dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM

Nope, calling it as I see it, keyboard gangsta.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,990,709 times
I am asking a simple question: does a unifying black experience exist? If so, what is it?

Answer the question or go down the yellow brick road with your other strawmen.

And I would love you to go to Brazil and tell all those large, mixed brothers that they are really "just black" and see what happens...

Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,124,970 times
Quote:
Blacks only care about blood. They say Maria Carrey should identify as black too.

I grew up in Elizabeth, NJ. You can't throw a rock there without hitting somebody named "Tyrone"
didn't you just say how blacks don't call Slash or the lead singer of Depeche Mode black? so which is it: are blacks calling dibs on everyone with black blood or just some of them?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,869,298 times
Quote:
The "black experience" is a fraud that more and more people see through every day.
The "black experience" or "black community" is nothing more a euphemism for whatever you want to call the combination of unique threads of American culture that apply primarily or disproportionately to blacks.

You can call it whatever you want. It's just a name. It doesn't mean anything.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 AM

This is what I'm referring to (as if you didn't realize it already):

Is it culture? If that is the case than many mixed people (like myself) and blacks don't have the "black experience" either. I am not a fan of black culture: I hate "soul food", do not like rap and hip-hop"music", don't dance well, have no interest in basketball, speak proper American English with a slightly antiquated vernacular occasionally manifesting (I'm an anglophile, forgive me) and the two times I entered a black church I found the experience to be utterly terrifying.

And this:

If you read the OP, you'll see I saw that idiotic show and HATED IT. I was never tempted to join a gang or a gospel choir. I never enjoyed a Tyler Perry movie or felt held back by "the man." So, how am I"black in America"?

(Question, if you hated the show so much, why did you waste your time watching it?)

And this:

People say "the black community is in a state of shock over the Tylenol Martin verdict". Well, I wasn't in shock. I was pleased,actually. So am I not part of the "black community"? (sure hope I'm not)

And this:

And I only enjoy being outside of black "culture."Sorry, but I'll skip the pig feet and the break dancing, if you don't mind.

And finally:

I grew up in Elizabeth, NJ. You can't throw a rock there without hitting somebody named "Tyrone"

Then you say you're mixed race like that is supposed to somehow legitimize the atomic load you just dumped on C-D.

People don't all fit in the neat little box you and your ilk love to build. You post something like the above, then blink in wonder on people who take exception. Well, I take exception to your whole narrow little world.

You call it a strawman? I call it recognizing crap when I see it.

Last edited by carterstamp; 07-16-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
didn't you just say how blacks don't call Slash or the lead singer of Depeche Mode black? so which is it: are blacks calling dibs on everyone with black blood or just some of them?
Of course blacks are selective about who they call black, that was my point. If they weren't, than they would have called Zimmerman black too.

If someone with a little black in them does "black" things, he or she is black. If someone does something that isn't "black", like play in a rock band or a synthpop group, then he is white.

And people wonder why I usually don't associate with many blacks.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM

798 posts, read 1,036,597 times
Seems to me you don't really want an answer, you just want to cause problems. It seems like you don't wanna be a part of the black experience for whatever reason, that's your choice. But you talk about black people doing things that aren't "black." Lemme tell you something. I studied hard in school, got great grades, wore proper fitting clothes, talk with a slight accent depending on where I am (Southern or Caribbean), manage my money well, and got a near full-ride scholarship to a school in Florida. Guess what? The kids made fun of me too. And not just black people. White and Hispanic and Asian people too, because I was "whiter" than what they expected. And it took me a while to realize this, but who cares what they think? Because when I turn 30, I'll probably have a decent career. When they turn 30, they're gonna wish that they actually paid attention in high school. And guess what? Blacks don't have a monopoly on claiming or disowning people. Mixed people live a tough life because several groups don't want to accept them. If Obama said he was white, white people would laugh in his face because he doesn't look white. And FWIW, Zimmerman's race doesn't even matter. Idk why it's such a big deal anyway, the more important fact was that he followed Trayvon because he matched the description of "black male".

All the posts that carterstamp put up there make me think that you want to start a controversy. But seriously, you should politely come in and say that you do not feel that you identify with the black experience and then objectively list why. Not that you hate Tyler Perry and black churches (guess what, a lotta black people don't like Tyler Perry, pigs feet, and lol break dancing? You don't really know what you're talking about. The currently popular style of dancing in the black community is definitely not breakdancing haha).

The program on CNN was about the general things that black people go through when they go about their daily lives. If you don't identify with it fine. I definitely didn't identify with all of it. But some of the stuff touched me, because they were true.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:58 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,607,251 times
Ted Kaczynski wrote it the best.

washingtonpost.com: Unabomber Special Report

29. Here is an illustration of the way in which the oversocialized leftist shows his real attachment to the conventional attitudes of our society while pretending to be in rebellion against it. Many leftists push for affirmative action, for moving black people into high-prestige jobs, for improved education in black schools and more money for such schools; the way of life of the black “underclass” they regard as a social disgrace. They want to integrate the black man into the system, make him a business executive, a lawyer, a scientist just like upper-middle-class white people. The leftists will reply that the last thing they want is to make the black man into a copy of the white man; instead, they want to preserve African American culture. But in what does this preservation of African American culture consist? It can hardly consist in anything more than eating black-style food, listening to black-style music, wearing black-style clothing and going to a black- style church or mosque. In other words, it can express itself only in superficial matters. In all ESSENTIAL respects most leftists of the oversocialized type want to make the black man conform to white, middle-class ideals. They want to make him study technical subjects, become an executive or a scientist, spend his life climbing the status ladder to prove that black people are as good as white. They want to make black fathers “responsible,” they want black gangs to become nonviolent, etc. But these are exactly the values of the industrial-technological system. The system couldn’t care less what kind of music a man listens to, what kind of clothes he wears or what religion he believes in as long as he studies in school, holds a respectable job, climbs the status ladder, is a “responsible” parent, is nonviolent and so forth. In effect, however much he may deny it, the oversocialized leftist wants to integrate the black man into the system and make him adopt its values.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Seems to me you don't really want an answer, you just want to cause problems.
No, I want a real answer but I'm only getting ad hominem attacks. What is "the black experience"? I am attacked for asking the question but no one is answering it.

Quote:
All the posts that carterstamp put up there make me think that you want to start a controversy. But seriously, you should politely come in and say that you do not feel that you identify with the black experience and then objectively list why. Not that you hate Tyler Perry and black churches (guess what, a lotta black people don't like Tyler Perry, pigs feet, and lol break dancing? You don't really know what you're talking about. The currently popular style of dancing in the black community is definitely not breakdancing haha).
I don't know what I'm talking about, of course: because I feel no connection to what the blacks are interested in. I lived around them but I never shared their...ah, passions? Their culture is lost to me and I am perplexed by the way they live.

Quote:
The program on CNN was about the general things that black people go through when they go about their daily lives. If you don't identify with it fine. I definitely didn't identify with all of it. But some of the stuff touched me, because they were true.
So, is that the discrimination? Well, do you know the discrimination gay white males go through in their day to day lives? How about Asian Americans? Are they black too?

You may as well say "discriminated against in America" and not "black in America," because blacks are not the only people discriminated against.

Other than discrimination, which we know many people besides blacks go through, what is "the black experience?"

No one has been able to answer the question. Wonder why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies