Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,859,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I don't see how anyone in their right mind could possibly take NBC's side and defend them for editing the tape to try and make GZ sound like a racist.

Regardless of how you feel about the actual case, this tape editing (which NBC admits to doing) is so wrong. And, it should cause you to never believe what they broadcast.

Posted with TapaTalk

No one is defending that reporter and that reporter was fired by NBC as soon as this was discovered. Now, do you think Fox should fire Hannity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 AM

[quote=Bludy-L;30492060]Are you seriously going to use the 6 year old's argument......."all my friends do it!"?

We are talking about ONE network editing a tape in such a way as to deliberately make GZ look like a racist.

They have admitted to doing that!

That is what is being discussed here.

Fox News should be sued for racism!

Fox Attacks: Black America - YouTube

Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, he can try. But the lawyers for the news media are far, far better than Bernie and will (or could) stretch the proceedings out sooo long that Zimmerman would starve to death. It'd also cost multiples of the $300k that his supporters contributed. Do you think that they'd be willing to cough up say 10 times what they did in the past?

His best bet is to take something, move on.
He doesn't need any more donations. The Beasley Firm is handling his civil suits. They have won $2 billion dollars in civil judgments. They invest their own money into the cases they take. It's one of the most prestigious civil firms in the country. I expect there will be plenty more lawsuits filed by Zimmerman, including one against Crump and Natalie Jackson.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
Zimmerman should turn it into a class action lawsuit and join with all others who have been affected by NBC's lies and distortions. There are several so called "news" organizations that need to go down. NBC is a good place to start.
Good luck with that. LOL!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 AM

78,567 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I understand quite well how civil suits work; I'm not sure how the whole 'immunity' from civil action Florida law works. That is certainly not the case in my current state.

I'm curious how one could claim immunity from a civil suit (which now appears to be questionable); whilst filing a civil suit of one's own in the exact same matter.

I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. One may have nothing to do with the other; it just gives the appearance that you could leave yourself open for a cross claim, counter claim, whatever.
The difference is that they are NOT the exact same matter nor the same parties involved.

One would be a civil suit for wrongful death.
The other would be a defamation\libel suit against a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PARTY.

Zimmerman wouldn't be suing TM's family so there would be no counter claim.

The only immunity in FL would be under the SYG laws, which Zimmerman did not use so he has no immunity despite a multitude of grossly uninformed posters claiming otherwise.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While there is an exclusion for public figures, the operative part of Sullivan v NYT was the requirement to prove actual malice -- which applies even if the plaintiff was not a public figure. That's a heavy burden on the plaintiff.
I'm sorry but that is incorrect. That case applied SPECIFICALLY to public figures and thus does not apply to Zimmerman.

Quote:
Because of the extremely high burden of proof on the plaintiff, and the difficulty in proving essentially what is inside a person's head, such cases—when they involve public figures—rarely prevail.
New York Times Co. v. Sullivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Jewell won a whole bunch of settlements where "malice" would have been difficult to prove....just sloppy reporting and speculation are sufficient.

Quote:
Richard Jewell v. NBC[edit]
Jewell sued NBC News for this statement, made by Tom Brokaw: "The speculation is that the FBI is close to making the case. They probably have enough to arrest him right now, probably enough to prosecute him, but you always want to have enough to convict him as well. There are still some holes in this case".[12] Even though NBC stood by its story, the network agreed to pay Jewell $500,000
Richard Jewell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The bolded language is the problem with immunity from civil suit. GZ never asked for a hearing that stopped the criminal prosecution. He was not 'immune' from criminal prosecution, so why would he be immune from civil action.

I don't know, maybe he can ask a judge to prevent a civil suit ? I'll be listening to what the lawyers say about this.
He can still get immunity. At the after verdict press conference, O'Mara practically dared someone to try to sue Zimmerman. He said they would seek and get civil immunity. And the person suing would then have to pay for their costs.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good luck with that. LOL!
Since you have such a keen legal mind, care to make a wager about Zimmerman winning money from some of the news outlets?

Something like writing "I was wrong and blinded by partisanship" for a week in the status line?

NBC in particular is screwed bigtime and will settle, although TM's parents will probably get the money via their own wrongful death suit.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
They will probably force him to sue in NYC. They should break the company as brutally as he was broken by the heinous allegations.
The case is already on the FL docket. Right now the judge would be the same judge as the criminal case (Nelson) because she is moving to civil court. But it's possible they will try to change judges.

All of this information is easily available. Not sure why so many people are speculating in this thread.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Trayvon Martin's family has already filed, and won, a wrongful death suit against the homeowners association of the sub-division where Martin was killed.

Quote:
Portions of the settlement released Friday do not specify how much money Martin's family will receive, but according to the Sentinel, the figure is believed to be in excess of $1 million. The settlement does, however, state that Zimmerman is not part of the agreement. Lawyers for Martin's family have made it clear that they still plan to file a civil claim against Zimmerman at a later point.
Trayvon Martin's Family Settles Wrongful Death Suit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies