Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM

9,634 posts, read 6,074,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I agree. I too would like to blame Clinton...leap frog over GW...and pick up with BO.
You start with Reagan and include everyone since.

They've all played their part in our problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM

26,836 posts, read 15,383,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I agree. I too would like to blame Clinton...leap frog over GW...and pick up with BO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The Clinton years = 22+ million net jobs created. Budget surpluses. 4% unemployment.

GWB = a pitiful one million net job created. Had Shrub stayed in office just two more months, his horrible failure of a presidency would have produced a net LOSS in jobs.

Yeah, blame Clinton. Give your heads a shake, right-wingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
How many of those policies were enacted by the GOP congress from 1995 - 2001?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Not only was it one of the most prosperous times in history but there was indeed four years of government surpluses, in spite of your assertion to the contrary. It was also proof that the economy can prosper while raising taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I thought Clinton did a pretty good job , obviously you disagree..
Is there any President you can point to that represents the bench mark of perfection?In your opinion of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The corrupted right-wing nonsense requires heaping spoonfuls of denial to swallow, and even then regurgitation is a constant reminder of its corrupted nature.

I see a lot of:

1) Ignoring the facts that I posted - perhaps if you had an intellectual argument against them you would tackle the facts instead of deflecting?

2) GOP deflecting. I pointed out the actions Clinton did with GOP support/initiative...I also pointed out that GWB didn't do a good job as president.

3) Pointing out that the economy grew in some areas...while ignoring that seeds of destruction were laid.

I hoped for an honest intellectual debate...not a baboon throwing poop, screaming, drooling, and scampering away zoo show.

If any of you grow the courage to put together an intellectual argument against specific points that I made please do so.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,461,267 times
Clinton enthusiastically signed the "assault weapon" ban, which was one of the most idiotically crafted laws ever. It defined "assault weapon" as a gun having two or more characteristics from a list of items. This defies reason. It would be like legalizing heroin, coke, LSD, and speed, but anyone who tried two or more of these drugs would still be arrested.

Or maybe even a better analogy, since the 'assault features' were cosmetic, would be to ban bourbon and scotch, while leaving vodka and gin legal. It made zero sense, yet the supposedly brilliant prez Clinton thought it was a good idea.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
There was a budget surplus largely because taxes were increased, a bill in which not a single Republican voted in favor. The GOP also predicted Clinton's tax increase would tank the economy, a laughable claim against the history that followed.
I provided a link to the US treasury website, which shows that in fact the national debt rose every single year during the Clinton presidency. The "surpluses" were created by the illusion of spending over half a dozen government programs future money - now. Programs like the Military Pension, Civil Service Trust Fund, Social Security Trust Fund, etc....

The booming economy helped shrink the deficits, but the debts still grew.

And of course, as you ignore, seeds of economic problems were sewn.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,724,265 times
Default temper, temper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I see a lot of:

1) Ignoring the facts that I posted - perhaps if you had an intellectual argument against them you would tackle the facts instead of deflecting?

2) GOP deflecting. I pointed out the actions Clinton did with GOP support/initiative...I also pointed out that GWB didn't do a good job as president.

3) Pointing out that the economy grew in some areas...while ignoring that seeds of destruction were laid.

I hoped for an honest intellectual debate...not a baboon throwing poop, screaming, drooling, and scampering away zoo show.

If any of you grow the courage to put together an intellectual argument against specific points that I made please do so.

I can clearly see where that baboon poop is coming from.

You're a naughty boy.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,412,956 times
Quote:
I provided a link to the US treasury website, which shows that in fact the national debt rose every single year during the Clinton presidency. The "surpluses" were created by the illusion of spending over half a dozen government programs future money - now. Programs like the Military Pension, Civil Service Trust Fund, Social Security Trust Fund, etc....

The booming economy helped shrink the deficits, but the debts still grew.

And of course, as you ignore, seeds of economic problems were sewn.
Exactly. Clinton borrowed money from intragovernmental budgets, and then made Bush reinburse those funds, this increasing the "deficits" that took place during the Bush term..

To make things worse, these liberals are moaning about Bush deficits, saying it crashed the economy, while then celebrating how much Obama is spending. Non stop hypocracy and they arent even embarassed..

When one considers that the Bush debt was exploaded by things like TARP, which then got repaid and credited towards Obamas budgets, this makes Obama deficits a complete embarassment to the nation. I didnt like the $250B deficits under Bush, and neither do these liberals, but to now celebrate Obama deficits is utterly astounding.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,461,267 times
Quote:
... the government ran a balanced budget for four years before Bush lowered taxes and created endless deficits.
Bush lowered tax rates, but tax revenue stayed about the same during the Bush era. Total revenue, adjusted for inflation, was 2.3 trillion in 2000, and 2.4 trillion in 2007.

Deficits are spending minus revenue, not spending minus rates.

Historical Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I can clearly see where that baboon poop is coming from.

You're a naughty boy.

Stop dodging an intellectual conversation.

I made several points.

How about we just focus on one. Let's start with #1.

1) Granting permanent most favored nation status to China for trade. The result has been increased trade deficit and increased outsourcing. Clinton viciously attacked anyone who claimed what did happen would happen. Even some liberals are now recognizing this damage.

Jane White: Bill Clinton's True Legacy: Outsourcer-in-Chief

Please explain to me how granting this status to China has helped our economy, why a growing trade deficit with China is good, why outsourcing to China is good, and why you are in favor of these things.

Seems to me that Democrats just made a stink about outsourcing in the 2012 election.

P.S. Do you think that Harding and Coolidge had a perfect economy and then Hoover suddenly and single handily botched it up?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,724,265 times
Quote:
Stop dodging an intellectual conversation.
I got yer "intellectual conversation" right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon

Quote:
I made several points.

How about we just focus on one. Let's start with #1.

1) Granting permanent most favored nation status to China for trade. The result has been increased trade deficit and increased outsourcing. Clinton viciously attacked anyone who claimed what did happen would happen. Even some liberals are now recognizing this damage.

Jane White: Bill Clinton's True Legacy: Outsourcer-in-Chief

Please explain to me how granting this status to China has helped our economy, why a growing trade deficit with China is good, why outsourcing to China is good, and why you are in favor of these things.
I can't explain your bias.

Quote:
Seems to me that Democrats just made a stink about outsourcing in the 2012 election.
Seems to me you'll go to great lengths to blame Democrats for GOP failures.

Quote:
P.S. Do you think that Harding and Coolidge had a perfect economy and then Hoover suddenly and single handily botched it up?
I think two GOP terms following Wilson resulted in economic policies that fostered the 1929 collapse. And Hoover's clinging to those policies made it worse.

So, tell me how it was Wilson's fault.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I got yer "intellectual conversation" right here.

I can't explain your bias.

Seems to me you'll go to great lengths to blame Democrats for GOP failures.

I think two GOP terms following Wilson resulted in economic policies that fostered the 1929 collapse. And Hoover's clinging to those policies made it worse.

So, tell me how it was Wilson's fault.
Still dodging.

My 1st point...Explain how granting permanent most favored nation status to China helped the US economy.

Both parties got us into this mess...seems like you realize my facts are corect, which is why you refuse to discuss my facts. Don't be an intellectual coward, either agree that this policy by Clinton was bad or come up with reasons why it was good and then we'll move to point number 2 of mine - repeal of Glass-Stegall...a bipartisan policy that Clinton was "proud" to sign into law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies