Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean like a gal that sticks around in an abusive relationship and is then murdered by the hubby when she says she is leaving him?
There is a big difference between discontinuing a dating relationship with someone who lives hundreds of miles away, and trying to extricate yourself from a marriage, usually with children involved, and often not having anyplace to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,083,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
To me what the OP's question is getting at is the differences in sentencing across cases and across states.
With the exception of Federal crimes state crimes are committed against the citizen of the respective 50 states and should reflect their individuals standards of offensiveness - within the limits of the U.S. Constitution of course.

When it comes to disparities in sentencing each case brings it own set of facts and punishment should be mete out based upon those facts. We've seen through experience how mandatory sentencing can mete out equal sentencing but unequal justice.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,293,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The murder he is trying to equate to Jodi's case was on ID last night. It's about a latino woman, that was a saint according to the portrayal on the show. She lived for her children and everybody loved her. This night, she leaves her kids alone to go to a party. About 2 am she is seen going into a store by a Hells Angel who invites her to another party. She goes with him to the club house. She had already drank too much before they got there, but she drinks more. The leader of the clubhouse takes liberties with her, assuming she's easy, and she mouths off, insulting him and the club. She gets punched, and ends up getting beaten by a group. She dies, they dump her body.
Jodi Arias was and is a psycho. Her victim was a sweet guy, who was gruesomely killed for trying to drop her and get on with his life.
No comparison.
Not quite. The Hell's Angels members got offended when she refused to allow them to have sex with her. She got angry, told them off, and they took offense, so one punched her out. Then they beat her up in the club, stomping on her head, took her out to the desert, beat her some more, and stabbed her more than 20 times, if I recall correctly.

Here's a story about the last biker to be sentenced: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ty-murder.html

Quite a punishment for refusing sex and for "disrespect" - or do you think that these actions justify murder?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Not quite. The Hell's Angels members got offended when she refused to allow them to have sex with her. She got angry, told them off, and they took offense, so one punched her out. Then they beat her up in the club, stomping on her head, took her out to the desert, beat her some more, and stabbed her more than 20 times, if I recall correctly.

Here's a story about the last biker to be sentenced: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ty-murder.html

Quite a punishment for refusing sex and for "disrespect" - or do you think that these actions justify murder?
You're adding facts that were not in the article or the program that I watched. She had a boot print on her leg, nothing about being stomped on the head, but yes she was kicked, beaten and stabbed for disrespecting the club. She was stupid to hang out with a violent biker gang, drinking til 4 am, and think she can mouth off to them.
From what I saw, she was the only woman present, surrounded by this gang of bikers, all partying. I would be surprised if she made it home safely. She put herself in a very dangerous position. Even so, it is horrible what happened to her.
If they had an undercover at the party, I don't know why it took so long to solve this case.

Jodi's case has no similarity whatsoever.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You're adding facts that were not in the article or the program that I watched. She had a boot print on her leg, nothing about being stomped on the head, but yes she was kicked, beaten and stabbed for disrespecting the club. She was stupid to hang out with a violent biker gang, drinking til 4 am, and think she can mouth off to them.
From what I saw, she was the only woman present, surrounded by this gang of bikers, all partying. I would be surprised if she made it home safely. She put herself in a very dangerous position. Even so, it is horrible what happened to her.
If they had an undercover at the party, I don't know why it took so long to solve this case.

Jodi's case has no similarity whatsoever.
Direct quote from the article I linked:

[quote]
As the party went on, members of the club began to think Garcia was being disrespectful, so they beat her until she was unconscious, "stomping on her head repeatedly," according to court documents.[quote]

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz2WmYtLgjM

As I understand it, the undercover was not there at the party, but was assigned to the gang after the murder. I could be wrong about that, though.

I agree that she didn't make the best decision; this is not uncommon when someone's been drinking. Also, the newbie Angel was trying to charm her to get her to their hangout, so it probably wasn't immediately obvious that she was going to potentially be gang-banged (in the old sense of the word).

Jodi Arias' case is an odd one. I'd bet she's mentally ill. Who else drives hundreds of miles to kill someone, then claims self-defense?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
With the exception of Federal crimes state crimes are committed against the citizen of the respective 50 states and should reflect their individuals standards of offensiveness - within the limits of the U.S. Constitution of course.

When it comes to disparities in sentencing each case brings it own set of facts and punishment should be mete out based upon those facts. We've seen through experience how mandatory sentencing can mete out equal sentencing but unequal justice.
True, that leads to a lot of injustices in sentencing. Also, drug crimes and drugs against property, like theft, seem to receive much longer sentences than crimes against people, especially sexual assaults and violence against children, when it should be the other way around.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM

[quote=Emeraldmaiden;30110952]Direct quote from the article I linked:

[quote]
As the party went on, members of the club began to think Garcia was being disrespectful, so they beat her until she was unconscious, "stomping on her head repeatedly," according to court documents.
Quote:

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz2WmYtLgjM

As I understand it, the undercover was not there at the party, but was assigned to the gang after the murder. I could be wrong about that, though.

I agree that she didn't make the best decision; this is not uncommon when someone's been drinking. Also, the newbie Angel was trying to charm her to get her to their hangout, so it probably wasn't immediately obvious that she was going to potentially be gang-banged (in the old sense of the word).

Jodi Arias' case is an odd one. I'd bet she's mentally ill. Who else drives hundreds of miles to kill someone, then claims self-defense?
A psychopath.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM

[quote=ellemint;30111086][quote=Emeraldmaiden;30110952]Direct quote from the article I linked:

Quote:
As the party went on, members of the club began to think Garcia was being disrespectful, so they beat her until she was unconscious, "stomping on her head repeatedly," according to court documents.

A psychopath.
I think that qualifies as mentally ill. nods I was thinking she may have one of the other psychotic illnesses, like Borderline Personality or Narcissistic Personality Disorder. But I am not any sort of medical or psychiatric professional.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,581,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
So what exactly did Jodi do that was so heinous? She was in a relationship with someone she was madly in love with, who was just using her as a kinky sex toy, while telling her at the same time that she was not good enough to marry. Is that a wise thing to do to a woman? If she snapped, does that make her a danger to society? No, but maybe it makes her a danger to self indulgent a-holes that want to use and abuse women.
People in this country always have some sort of excuse for their behaviour. It's never their fault. If a woman is stupid enough to let herself be used for sex then that's her fault. Instead of killing the guy she should have found another man. It would have be a much easier route to take. Now, she's either going to be dead or lesbian jail-bait.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM

[quote=Emeraldmaiden;30111609][quote=ellemint;30111086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Direct quote from the article I linked:

I think that qualifies as mentally ill. nods I was thinking she may have one of the other psychotic illnesses, like Borderline Personality or Narcissistic Personality Disorder. But I am not any sort of medical or psychiatric professional.
I think you're right, I think she did have elements of a borderline personality, and a narcissistic personality---definitely.

But I think her psychopathy dominates, and made the murder possible.

I just read a book about violence and the brain, and there is a lot of evidence that psychopaths have brains that are wired differently, especially in the area of the pre-frontal cortex and limbic areas of the brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies