Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,216,489 times

Advertisements

Maybe if we had better high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,789,216 times
Right, it takes a little bit of geometry to indicate a table on the machine at zero. Beyond that it probably takes more computer savy to learn a program and make a tooling offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
It depends. A construction worker building a house is doing a lot less innovating than the electrical engineer. I'd like to see a few examples of these great inventions created by your common worker though. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any right now. Regardless, the less groundbreaking inventions that you take for granted are created by engineers and other college grads. I'm talking about any improvements to cars, different plastics and materials, new medicines, etc.

Anyone taking algebra in college is almost certainly not entering a STEM career. And maybe some machinists have to do difficult math, but my father has been a machinist for over 25 years, and he'll tell you that there's no complex thinking involved at all.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM

26,588 posts, read 19,467,212 times
Quote:
Why the hate toward innovators? I certainly don't hate blue collar workers who get their hands dirty. But don't act like innovators and thinkers aren't necessary, because they are. They are just as responsible (if not more) for building this world we live in today than the average joes who did the assembling.
I don't have any particular hatred toward the learned, the innovators, or the intellectuals. Let me ask you this: (per 100) what proportion of "innovator" to "average joe" do you think a healthy society needs? I'll tell you right now, that ratio is NOT 100 to 0 ... which is what Big Education would have you believe. That is a society doomed to chaos.

Quote:
And you take all those "thinkers" for granted while you type on your computer that was invented by "thinkers," sitting in your house that was designed and made safe by "thinkers." The machines that helped build your house? Created by "thinkers." The light bulbs over your head, created by "thinkers." The car you drive to work has so many "thinkers" involved in its creation, there's no way I could name them all. Not to mention the "thinkers" that located the oil and refined it into gasoline for your car. The road you drive on was also designed by "thinkers."

Yes, I realize there are a lot of workers involved in that process too. And I don't trivialize that at all. But it's just really strange to hear someone hate intelligent people so much. I mean sure, I find your average philosophy professor to be as annoying as the next guy, but I don't lump him in with the real innovators anyway.
I don't hate intelligent people. I teach math at a university. I'm around these "intelligent" people daily. I see the system day in and day out from the inside (for 20 years now, no less). What I do hate is what I am doing to the younger generation (as part of the collective institution/system). I hate that I'm helping to give them a false sense of security and that I'm perpetuating the myth that a college degree is a guaranteed ticket to nirvana. Because THAT is what they think that degree is. It's no longer about learning or knowledge. It's no longer about an education. It's a golden seal citizenship to Utopia.

Take it from a hypocrite: in reality, what it has become is just another state/corporate revenue generation scheme, and we are training an entire generation of indebted, expectant, and often very spoiled young people for a potentially very big fall.

In the end, it has nothing to do with hating thinkers; it has nothing to do with hating intellectualism; it has to do with hating a lie.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,797,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
What happens when a machine takes your job.
machines can't think? seems to me that a computer that looks like a giant ipod is the jeopardy champion.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,236,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't have any particular hatred toward the learned, the innovators, or the intellectuals. Let me ask you this: (per 100) what proportion of "innovator" to "average joe" do you think a healthy society needs? I'll tell you right now, that ratio is NOT 100 to 0 ... which is what Big Education would have you believe. That is a society doomed to chaos.
Only a fool would think that the ratio is 100 to 0. There is actually a higher need for average joes than innovators. There are many reasons for that, but it's also worth pointing out that not everyone is capable of being an innovator. And vice versa.

Quote:
I don't hate intelligent people. I teach math at a university. I'm around these "intelligent" people daily. I see the system day in and day out from the inside (for 20 years now, no less). What I do hate is what I am doing to the younger generation (as part of the collective institution/system). I hate that I'm helping to give them a false sense of security and that I'm perpetuating the myth that a college degree is a guaranteed ticket to nirvana. Because THAT is what they think that degree is. It's no longer about learning or knowledge. It's no longer about an education. It's a golden seal citizenship to Utopia.

Take it from a hypocrite: in reality, what it has become is just another state/corporate revenue generation scheme, and we are training an entire generation of indebted, expectant, and often very spoiled young people for a potentially very big fall.

In the end, it has nothing to do with hating thinkers; it has nothing to do with hating intellectualism; it has to do with hating a lie.
Well now you sound much more reasonable than your previous posts. I completely agree that the watering down of a college education is hurting the country, and that only certain students should attend a university. Certainly far less than we have now.

My only objection was with the perceived anti-intellectualism in your previous posts (and I'd say it was fair for me to perceive that). But after you've clarified yourself some, we seem to agree.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,236,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
machines can't think? seems to me that a computer that looks like a giant ipod is the jeopardy champion.
That's not thinking. Computers can't innovate, create, or have original thoughts. They only compute.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,094,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't have any particular hatred toward the learned, the innovators, or the intellectuals. Let me ask you this: (per 100) what proportion of "innovator" to "average joe" do you think a healthy society needs? I'll tell you right now, that ratio is NOT 100 to 0 ... which is what Big Education would have you believe. That is a society doomed to chaos. ; it has nothing to do with hating intellectualism.
Robots are much more adept, until ai is mastered, at reducing the quantity of average joes needed. Plus, average joes need to compete with Asia on costs-they are doing nothing to differentiate themselves in aggregate.

AI will change the equation again, but get ready for a few more decades where "average joe" gets hammered, while the learned do much better at mainbtaining their income levels.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,154,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
I have used these kiosks at Disney World. They are not bad and makes things easier in some cases. They are not exactly dummy proof though. I agree on some cases. Like if I am getting a cheeseburger, I hope that I can pick all of the toppings off by ordering through the kiosks. If I cannot, I will want a human representative. To Disney World's credit, they do allow for special orders. Lord knows, my family had to do this with Be Our Guest this past trip.

However some people will not and do not use these kiosks. My father who is not tech savvy hates them and will not buy items from Home Depot if the only open line is the kiosks. My brother who is tech savvy, does not because they eliminate a checker position. Me, I will if I do not have too many items or I do not need a special order.

I think AI wil be the ultimate game changer and I can only imagine that Skynet from Terminator will be a reality...

Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,216,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have used these kiosks at Disney World. They are not bad and makes things easier in some cases. They are not exactly dummy proof though. I agree on some cases. Like if I am getting a cheeseburger, I hope that I can pick all of the toppings off by ordering through the kiosks. If I cannot, I will want a human representative. To Disney World's credit, they do allow for special orders. Lord knows, my family had to do this with Be Our Guest this past trip.

However some people will not and do not use these kiosks. My father who is not tech savvy hates them and will not buy items from Home Depot if the only open line is the kiosks. My brother who is tech savvy, does not because they eliminate a checker position. Me, I will if I do not have too many items or I do not need a special order.

I think AI wil be the ultimate game changer and I can only imagine that Skynet from Terminator will be a reality...
Once quantum computing gets going the digital age will be over and the world will not look the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies