Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM

22,738 posts, read 24,884,282 times

Advertisements

Many parts of this country are just as corrupt and violent as some areas of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,651,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Mexico and Chicago.

There is a difference?
Says the person from......Los Angeles?!?!?!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,492,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
On a more serious note.

Here is a map of the June murders in Chicago from a site that doing precisely what you are suggesting.

June, 2013 - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com
The Milwaukee Journal provides that same kind of tracking information. This is a good tool.

But what I was talking about was coming up with homicide rates, at the close of each year, for each neighborhood. As opposed to a rate for the whole city. Actually, both should be done.

Quote:
I would add that anyone really interested in what has been going on in Chicago should read the some of the excellent coverage that one has come to expect from the Chicago Tribune.

Gang Activity news, photos and video - chicagotribune.com

Or Ebony Magazine (especially for those who think that African American community is oblivious to the issue)

[ENOUGH] Chicago's Gang Culture Remixed - News & Views - EBONY
I noticed the author of the article stated she was middle-class in Chicago. On its South Side. Yet exposed to the gang culture and violence.

That's not uncommon in the Midwestern black middle-class. The Sherman Park neighborhood in Milwaukee I mentioned earlier that had a higher homicide rate than one Rio favela during a same year, is traditionally a middle-class, black, neighborhood. Further towards St. Joseph hospital being more whites and Orthodox Jews. But around the park area and east of the park is about as crime ridden as any middle-class neighborhood in a developing nation like Mexico and Brazil I would say.

I also noticed she mentioned scuffing the shoes in Chicago during the early '90s could have led to death. When I mention to people unfamiliar with Midwestern hoods that lightly brushing against someone at a black nightclub would likely (at least back then) cause a confrontation and possibly a fight, they think I'm exaggerating.

But this black woman's own published article from her middle-class life in Chicago exonerates me.

I loved how the black middle-class of Virginia chilled out, and shocked me how a big bump in a nightclub would result in a black guy saying, "Excuse me." Flabbergasted me. They were just learning of the Chicago based gangs in the early '90s when I was in Virginia. The Vice Lords had just entered Portsmouth around that time. But they had already had a long history in Milwaukee.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM

937 posts, read 1,141,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Happy Fathers Day Chicago. The weekend is only half over and 37 people have been shot.
I thought Gun control worked in that city.

Sounds like a Mexican Border city.

7 Dead, 30 Wounded in Weekend Violence | NBC Chicago
Sadly, there are virtually no "fathers" in that area of Chicago, just sperm donors.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 AM

30,524 posts, read 19,029,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to go to Chicago...I will never ever cross the border for any reason.

In Chigago, you may get caught up in some truff warfare, but In Mexico, they seek you out. In mexico you never know who the bad guy is...Cop, Judge or street thug.

"In mexico, you never know who the bad guy is... Cop, Judge or street thug."

Obviously you have never lived in Illinois, which is akin to a third world nation with its level of corruption in the political and court system. Bribery is considered routine there.

I would offer that MOST of Chicago is pretty safe, and the "safe" areas have increased in size since the 1970s. The area around Comisky, Univ of Chicago, and the Ancient History Museum used to be very dicey. Now, it is much better. The "Gold Coast", with the exception of a few isolated incidents, is very safe. Caprini Green is gone and areas encroaching on the northern part of the south side are being "gentrified".

However, the south central and south east side have become worse. The South Side needs to hire a guy like they did in Benton Harbor.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,289,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Happy Fathers Day Chicago. The weekend is only half over and 37 people have been shot.
I thought Gun control worked in that city.

Sounds like a Mexican Border city.

7 Dead, 30 Wounded in Weekend Violence | NBC Chicago
If you're a black man, places in Texas can be hazardous to your health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd,_Jr.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 AM

13,732 posts, read 9,116,113 times
It appears that Omaha is a very dangerous place:

Omaha suffers rash of shootings in less than 1 hour; 3 dead - CNN.com

Let us all avoid Omaha, steaks included.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,205,523 times
Prohibition??

Aren't both Chicago and Mexico dangerous because of the drug trade??

Are some people just gonna keep acting like its some unsolvable problem?? The solution is staring you dead in the face.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:15 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Holy crap! I live in a city of comparable size and we don't have that many shootings in a YEAR!

LOL...Montreal isn't comparable in size to Chicago.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,627,330 times
On another note, Chicago received a record or near-record 46 million visitors in 2012. People aren't exactly shying away from the city. The violence in Chicago is mainly confined to a relatively few neighborhoods. It's still quite sad though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies