Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM

22,285 posts, read 19,662,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sorry but it appears Chicago is set to break a 5 year high for murder.

Crime in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It has dropped significantly so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,492,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You have it totally wrong. Property crimes like theft are very high in Mexico. The reason these Mexican men are robbed has nothing to do with them being innocent little trusters. They carry large wads of cash around because they don't trust their roommates -- their fellow Mexicans. They don't trust banks either, they don't trust their girlfriends, or anyone with their thousands of dollars so they carry it all around with them in their pockets.

Some bad guys have finally caught on to that fact, often the Mexicans are dealing drugs and the bad guys know they have some significant cash on them so they're robbed. After all -- there's no lettuce fields being harvested in the inner city portion of Chicago.
I'm telling you what the local news reported and it had to do with cashing their paychecks and trusting some young black cats approaching them.

I'm aware of the image Americans have of all Mexicans in Mexico. And it's not one of small towns with strong community connections and rather socially conservative values in a number of ways.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,183,811 times
Mexico and Chicago.

There is a difference?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,492,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not here with a racial axe to grind like you.
Apparently you do whether you realize it or not because you have an image of all of Mexico (and Mexicans) as being the daily battle grounds and scenes of dramatic mass murders carried out by warring cartels.

Quote:
Black this, Mexican that is interesting (I guess), but I gives less than a damn about that. Nor is it important to this topic.
The first sentence is nonsensical, so, I don't know what your point was.

Quote:
Besides, you can't tell me anything I don't already know about Mexico OR black people. I'm black, and I live on the border.

Chicago is nowhere near as dangerous as any similar sized city in Mexico...period, point blank. And any attempt at a comparison looking for similarities so as to further an anti Chicago agenda is the stuff of idiots.
Yes, I'm Black-American and have been to Tijuana. Best time I ever had in my life. I've been to Chicago and it's once murderous suburb of Maywood too (Maywood once had a homicide rate of over 80 per 100,000 people).

Chicago may or may not be nowhere near as dangerous as any similar sized city in Mexico. I don't know. But that was not what I was responding to. I was responding to you asserting Mexico (as in the whole country) is more dangerous than Chicago.

Homicides rates are basically averages. Averages are essentially a balancing point in a weight of numbers. And here's the thing.... the homicide rate for a country, state, or city can be misleading. If the homicides are not even distributed throughout a whole city it makes the whole city look more murderous than what it is. If the homicides are clustered in specific areas of a city, it makes those areas look less murderous than what they are.

Might point here it's possible there are neighborhoods in Chicago as dangerous as some violent areas of Mexico. It's possible. That does not say it is or isn't.

One of my beefs with U.S. homicide figures is that they very rarely provide homicide rates for specific neighborhoods. Which would be more precise.

I don't like the fact Brazil often gives homicide rates just for their various states--rarely for just the cities. But even in Brazil--or Mexico--it would provide more precision to give homicide rates for neighborhoods. (Brazil has occasionally--at which I discovered one year that a "passified" favela in Rio under police control so dramatically reduced the homicide rate that the Sherman Park neighborhood of 30,000 people, in Milwaukee in that same year, had a higher homicide rate than that favela of roughly 100,000 people.)

Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM

26,210 posts, read 19,680,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Aren't the politicians in Chicago about as bad as Mexico ?
Haven't something like 3 out of the last 5 mayors done jail time ? Where's Rod today along with JJ Jr. ?

Sounds to me Chicago is a Mini Mexico with the corruption, drug gangs, murders.

Why would any tourist risk going to either ?

Chicago is a wonderful city, the downtown, Lakeshore Drive/N. Michigan Ave./Wrigleyville areas some of the most unique and beautiful places one could ever want to visit in the United States.

I agree with you, you are safer in Texas. Please stay there, thanks.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,283,634 times
On a more serious note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Homicides rates are basically averages. Averages are essentially a balancing point in a weight of numbers. And here's the thing.... the homicide rate for a country, state, or city can be misleading. If the homicides are not even distributed throughout a whole city it makes the whole city look more murderous than what it is. If the homicides are clustered in specific areas of a city, it makes those areas look less murderous than what they are.

Might point here it's possible there are neighborhoods in Chicago as dangerous as some violent areas of Mexico. It's possible. That does not say it is or isn't.

One of my beefs with U.S. homicide figures is that they very rarely provide homicide rates for specific neighborhoods. Which would be more precise.
Here is a map of the June murders in Chicago from a site that doing precisely what you are suggesting.

June, 2013 - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

I would add that anyone really interested in what has been going on in Chicago should read the some of the excellent coverage that one has come to expect from the Chicago Tribune.

Gang Activity news, photos and video - chicagotribune.com

Or Ebony Magazine (especially for those who think that African American community is oblivious to the issue)

[ENOUGH] Chicago's Gang Culture Remixed - News & Views - EBONY

Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,208,592 times
Didn't this happen the last time we had prohibition??

Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,283,634 times
About the best website that I have run across when it comes to a broad and objective look at urban murder rates in general and Chicago in particular

The Chicago Crime Scenes Project: 138 Years of Murder in Chicago

Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,111,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The crime and murder rate has dropped dramatically in Ciudad Juarez, dropped 80% from 2010 and 2012, and has continued to decline considerably this year. However, it is still considerably higher than Chicago.
I knew homicides in Juarez dropped a lot -- I didn't know they had dropped by 80%. They're planning to let the military from Fort Bliss start partying over there again, so it must be fairly safe now.

Even when Ciudad Juarez was very bad, Mexico City itself for being a humongous city was not all that dangerous. Certainly not for cartel type homicides. A lot of the crime is in some neighborhoods while other neighborhoods are pretty safe -- same as in US cities.

Cartel crime is targetted, really it's random crime that most normal people fear.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,479,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I knew homicides in Juarez dropped a lot -- I didn't know they had dropped by 80%. They're planning to let the military from Fort Bliss start partying over there again, so it must be fairly safe now.

Even when Ciudad Juarez was very bad, Mexico City itself for being a humongous city was not all that dangerous. Certainly not for cartel type homicides. A lot of the crime is in some neighborhoods while other neighborhoods are pretty safe -- same as in US cities.

Cartel crime is targetted, really it's random crime that most normal people fear.
I can't think of one American city where wealthy people must not only have bodyguards, but must provide them for their children too. That's how bad kidnapping is in Mexico.

Again, even a somewhat pacified Juarez is FAR scarier than anything you'll see in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies