Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
You're missing the whole point, and that is that it doesn't hurt you if someone else is "abnormal."
Yes, he is missing the point. Can't let people be unless they are all identical sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So his parents is going to start a petition every time he breaks a rule?
And? Your point being?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with gay, straight, bi, or anything. This has to do with kids needing to be taught how to function in life.
being responsible for yourself,
Earn a living by working hard.
do not steal, lie, or hurt others.
Obey the laws, pay your bills,

that's how one functions in life.

All the rest is just gravy.

wearing make-up is a life choice, and doesn't affect a person's functioning in life on way or another. by both men and women. I choose not to wear make-up because I find it disgusting and constrictive (I only wear sunblock and a bit of bb cream). It has no affect on my life.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 AM

295 posts, read 358,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Funny how how the left and gays accuse the Christian right of trying to jam their morality down the nations throats. But here we have the same thing of the gay ideology being rammed down everyones throats. Pot meet kettle?
I think that in order to be the equivalent, he would need to set aside time in the classroom every morning whereby everyone would have to be quiet and attentive while he put on his makeup at the front of the class, or listen quietly while he described his makeup ritual over the PA.

The same observance would have to be set aside for graduations and football games. Then, and only then, would it have the same situational equivalence you are trying to draw.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So his parents is going to start a petition every time he breaks a rule?
So, his parents are making a little Barbie doll out of him?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Using your children as a sacrificial lamb to push your own agenda in shattering social norms is deeply disturbing behavior....
Do you know this family personally?
If not, how do you know that the boy didn't decide that he WANTED to wear eyeliner, just like many other men do.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There was no rule forbidding a boy from wearing makeup. Actually, there was no rule regarding makeup at all.
Same with tattoos and rings through the nose, there might not be actual rules "on the books" and officially, but to function at an optimum in society and do well, whether one is here or in Europe, or what have you, one must learn the rules of society for performing at an optimum. Parents are supposed to be there to teach kids those rules, since kids are born knowing nothing, and that applies whether the parents are gay, straight, bi or whatever.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you know this family personally?
If not, how do you know that the boy didn't decide that he WANTED to wear eyeliner, just like many other men do.
A responsible parent wouldn't have let their kid walk out like that no matter WHAT the kid wanted to do...because they would know, point blank, they were sending them right to the sharks.

So they clearly were sending him out with total disregard to social norms... and what do you think their answer would be if you advised them of their actions?

EDIT: at the very least.. I'd say to my son "look, you know you're probably going to get tortured, right?"... I doubt they said this. But hey, you never know. My sons would have been knocked upside their head walking out like that, period.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 AM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Same with tattoos and rings through the nose, there might not be actual rules "on the books" and officially, but to function at an optimum in society and do well, whether one is here or in Europe, or what have you, one must learn the rules of society for performing at an optimum. Parents are supposed to be there to teach kids those rules, since kids are born knowing nothing, and that applies whether the parents are gay, straight, bi or whatever.
I'm sorry, but no.

In my business, a lot of the rich happy people of both genders have tattoos, piercings, wear makeup, etc etc. It's not frowned upon or discouraged in any way.

Your world is not the only one. Seriously. There are numerous professions in the arts where all the above is completely normal.

Now if the kid was going for a job at H&R Block you would have a point. But he's not, and it's not true at all that makeup and other forms of dress outside the norm are universally rejected in society.

Not true AT ALL.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times
Isn't transitioning into the "real world" and the workplace part of what school is about?? Aren't you there to learn these things? At the very least for them to be reinforced because this is what parents are to be instilling in their children as well?

Or did somebody forget to tell me that you were there to just pretend like you were learning and to act like a knuckle dragging heathen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies