Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,191,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Since when are people having conversations 'vacant-eyed babblers'?

I am just telling you that you are very behind the times and are most likely losing customers if you kick people out for something that is very socially acceptable in today's day and age.
I hate to say it because I don't want you to think I'm being rude towards you, but it's really not socially acceptable to be on your phone constantly in public. It's pretty rude & distracting for not only you but others as well. I find the only people who find it "acceptable" are younger people. Most everyone else, at least that I've come across, find it beyond annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,792,425 times
I won't answer the phone if I'm having a meal with someone. I won't answer the phone in the middle of a meal, period. Actually I won't talk on the phone in any restaurant.

As long as people keep their Jersey Shore drama to themselves, I could care less if people are on the phone in public. It's how things are today. Not my job to refrain from making phone calls because some person I don't know thinks it's rude. I think they're rude for not minding their own damn business.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,344,670 times
Quote:

I am just telling you that you are very behind the times and are most likely losing customers if you kick people out for something that is very socially acceptable in today's day and age.
You remind me of my brother years ago who tried to tell me that being late was socially acceptable. Then as it is now being late is rude unless you have a good reason for it.
Yakking on the cell phone in public non-stop is rude. And yes many are vacant eyed blabbers that bump into others or glare at you when you dont step out of their way when it was they who walked into you.
The worst part is cell talkers tend to talk loudly to overcome the background noise. They dont even notice that they are doing it.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM

33,386 posts, read 35,081,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think anyone texting while driving should go right to jail for a week. What is wrong with you people that think this is fine. Driving on a parkway and I see people texting, I think to myself, WTF is wrong here. It is insane that people think this is OK to do.

I don't understand what is wrong with you people that think it is all fine wonderful and good to text while driving.
It is almost sickening at the amount of people I see doing this, and were talking adults here, not teens that just got a license....

Um, people, your are not important, your text is not important.
not important enough to jepordize someones life while you are driving.
you are being too easy in people that text and drive. they should be stripped naked and publicly flogged while locked in old fashioned stocks(thirty lashes should suffice for a first offense), after that they should get a heavy fine, 1000 hours of community service, preferably in the morgue and the hospital emergency room

Quote:

right, these people who talk constantly on their cell phones in public are also the same people who stand in the middle of a supermarket isle blocking every bodys path, or they stand in the middle of a doorway preventing other from entering or exiting through the door. they have NO consideration for others.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You remind me of my brother years ago who tried to tell me that being late was socially acceptable. Then as it is now being late is rude unless you have a good reason for it.
Yakking on the cell phone in public non-stop is rude. And yes many are vacant eyed blabbers that bump into others or glare at you when you dont step out of their way when it was they who walked into you.
The worst part is cell talkers tend to talk loudly to overcome the background noise. They dont even notice that they are doing it.
LOL, you have no idea how often I come across people on the sidewalk who are texting on their phone, never look up while they're walking (truly, they don't because I've been watching them approach for minutes & their head never comes up for air) & subsequently I have to move for them because they're simply not paying attention. Irks me to no end.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,279,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I hate to say it because I don't want you to think I'm being rude towards you, but it's really not socially acceptable to be on your phone constantly in public. It's pretty rude & distracting for not only you but others as well. I find the only people who find it "acceptable" are younger people. Most everyone else, at least that I've come across, find it beyond annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The only people who think it ISN'T socially acceptable are older people who don't realize times have changed. How on earth is talking on a phone when standing next to you annoying, but me talking to a friend while standing next to you acceptable? What is the difference?

Again - this isn't 1970 anymore. The majority of American households don't even have a home phone anymore. It is rude to not respond to a business email by the end of the workday and it is rude to not respond to a personal email within 24 hours or so. Social norms have changed from 40 years ago.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The only people who think it ISN'T socially acceptable are older people who don't realize times have changed. How on earth is talking on a phone when standing next to you annoying, but me talking to a friend while standing next to you acceptable? What is the difference?

Again - this isn't 1970 anymore. The majority of American households don't even have a home phone anymore. It is rude to not respond to a business email by the end of the workday and it is rude to not respond to a personal email within 24 hours or so. Social norms have changed from 40 years ago.
I'm 42, I'm not that old. And I realize times change, everyone does. That doesn't mean that all the technology out there is a good thing. I have an iPhone, I use it. I'm not glued to it like many people seem to be. I'm actually aware of my surroundings. I don't find that to be true of those with their noses in their phone 24/7. And yes, it is obnoxious to be on the bus when someone is talking on the phone. Why? Because they're loud & indifferent to what others around them think of it.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,787,506 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean that all the technology out there is a good thing.
We're not talking about random technology. We're talking about specific contexts, such as the one just outlined: Talking on a cellphone as compared to talking to someone standing next to you. Same-same. How do you respond to that comment?

Quote:
I'm actually aware of my surroundings.
The question I have is whether or not you are over-sensitive to technology use for a reason you don't realize or won't disclose, and thereby apply more prejudicial judgments toward those who are using technology as compared to those who aren't but otherwise doing practically the same things.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,279,325 times
Quote:
I'm 42, I'm not that old. And I realize times change, everyone does. That doesn't mean that all the technology out there is a good thing. I have an iPhone, I use it. I'm not glued to it like many people seem to be. I'm actually aware of my surroundings. I don't find that to be true of those with their noses in their phone 24/7. And yes, it is obnoxious to be on the bus when someone is talking on the phone. Why? Because they're loud & indifferent to what others around them think of it.
I agree that you can't talk on a phone on public transit. There are typically signs up saying that. I just don't see why it is such a bad thing to be 'glued to a phone' as people put it. Talking on a phone in public and being oblivious to other people are two different things. I would much rather listen to someone talk on a phone in a store than listen to a married couple argue with each other in that same store. Respect for other people is indifferent to technology.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,787,506 times
Quote:
I agree that you can't talk on a phone on public transit.
Though really the offended party there is the person at the other end of the phone conversation.

Quote:
Respect for other people is indifferent to technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies