Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,185,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Sometimes you gotta work where your at. I don't find it rude. I'm with above posters though when it comes to using my phone in my car. If I don't have my bluetooth or stereo adapter I'll wait till I get parked or where I'm going.

I dont' think the resturant or store agreed to allow you to "conduct business" in their establishment at the expense of their other customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,731,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
What does everyone on the board think about cell phone usage in public, like supermarkets,shopping malls, and other places? Does it bother you to hear their conversations. Do you think it is rude?
It is as rude as having a conversation with the person standing next to you, in those places.

Don't project your own difficulties interacting with technology onto other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am against taking your eyes off the road while in a moving vehicle.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
It is also disrespectful talking on the phone while a cashier is ringing your stuff on the register.
Just like it is disrespectful talking to your children or spouse or whoever you're with while shopping - while a cashier is ringing up your stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
I also hate when a person constantly look on their phone while in class, dinner & communication.
Unless the person is there to be your own personal companion, that sounds like jealousy that someone is deriving value from technology which you are unwilling or incapable of deriving yourself. You should worry more about yourself and less about others, unless they are there specifically for your use, service, entertainment, or companionship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I dont' think the resturant or store agreed to allow you to "conduct business" in their establishment at the expense of their other customers.
Just like they didn't allow to go out on a date, or have a meal with family, at the expense of their other customers.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
I commute from NH to Boston 5 days a week and sit in the front of the bus. The traffic provides all the entertainment I could want. Ten years ago the problem was aggressive drivers. They are still around but they have been joined by the inattentive cell phone/texting/map questing drivers. It makes for a very tricky driving situation.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,153,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I'm not stupid. I'm always well aware of my surroundings.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM

39,122 posts, read 51,371,476 times
Old people ^^.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,145,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
What does everyone on the board think about cell phone usage in public, like supermarkets,shopping malls, and other places? Does it bother you to hear their conversations. Do you think it is rude? How many people do you think have a problem with their attachment to cell phones? Twelve months ago, I bought a smart phone. Android. At first it was kinda of new but after 6 months I asked myself why i really needed to check on e-mail, look at websites, check sports scores,etc. I also realized I was talking a little in public places with my phone, something that I rarely if ever did with my old flip phone that was not a smartphone. After a year I ditched my smartphone and got back to a simple flip phone and couldn't be happier. I guess I see now how some people use their phones like they are surgically attached to them, I wonder though if all this public cell phone calling in places where people can hear is just getting out of hand?

As a side question, how many rarely answer their phone because they think it is rude to talk in public? I have friends who think I'm being rude by rarely picking up my phone letting go to voicemail 98% of the time. They don't get that my life does not revolve around having it to pick up at any plave, any time. I am pretty good about returnng phone calls with voicemails left when I come home from work or have some time in the evening or morning before work. I feel liberated that I don't feel the need seemingly like a number of people to answer my phone alot. I also don't miss my smartphone to check on weather,scores,etc. Anybody feel the same way or have any stories to share about your use of cell phones. Do you wish you could change some things about how you use it and when. Can you see why some would opt out of not having the phone at all times if you really don't conduct business with it?
the only time I pay attention to cell phone use by someone other than myself is when it distracts that person while they are driving. Otherwise, I don't pay it much attention.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,258,927 times
I have a track phone that was forced on me by my wife. LOL a 10 dollar special.
I don't care if people use the Cell phones but it is annoying when they feel the need to talk loud enough to be heard in the next state.
To a previous poster yes it is rude to chatting on a cell phone when you are out to dinner with someone. I would get up and leave.
Yes it is rude to bring undisiplined children to a store or restaurant.
Where I work, thankfully they have a policy no cell phones on the floor. I love enforcing that policy especially on the younger generation who can't seem to go 5 seconds without texting. When I teach a class which is more often than I like these days I have a box. Everyones cell phones go in the box until the class is over.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,176,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am no longer in the dating pool, but were I, it certainly would be a deal breaker.
It would be a deal breaker for me. Incidentally, I briefly dated someone recently who was checking his phone CONSTANTLY when we were together. I'm not joking, it was all the time, he always found an excuse to go on the internet to check something out. I even took a picture of him doing it while we were on the train once & posted it to FB. It was that annoying.

I loathe people who talk on their phones either on the bus, in the store, wherever. It drives me nuts because they never know how to keep their voice down. It's always at a loud level. Don't even get me started on people who drive like morons because they're on the phone or texting. Anytime there's an ahole driver, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be someone who's on their phone in some fashion.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,258,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It would be a deal breaker for me. Incidentally, I briefly dated someone recently who was checking his phone CONSTANTLY when we were together. I'm not joking, it was all the time, he always found an excuse to go on the internet to check something out. I even took a picture of him doing it while we were on the train once & posted it to FB. It was that annoying.

I loathe people who talk on their phones either on the bus, in the store, wherever. It drives me nuts because they never know how to keep their voice down. It's always at a loud level. Don't even get me started on people who drive like morons because they're on the phone or texting. Anytime there's an ahole driver, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be someone who's on their phone in some fashion.
All is true. Cell users like drunks dont know how annoying they can be.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,090,252 times
It is what it is.

People form societal rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies