Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,723,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
If this song had a meaning it would mean this song is specifically meant for spanish speaking people because it obivously isn't a well known song among the english speaking community. But if that was the case (that it was meant specifically for those who speak spanish) then I would expect you guys to be equally confused by the english words splattered all around the commercial.

A) If you think this song is more than just a background song, then you should be equally confused by the english words in the commercial. And the spanish speaking community would be confused by the english words also so Target would be alienating not only english speaking customers but also spanish speaking customers by having the english words in there.

B) But if you think this song is just a background song then english words in this commercial would make sense and this commercial would make sense.

So is it A or B?
Why would I be equally confused by the English words when I have no idea how they related to the spanish words and I can actually read the English words so I know what they ares saying? The problem is I don't know how to process the spanish lyrics. I don't know if they're supposed to go with the english words or not because I don't know what is being said. Commercials often have jingles...songs that sing about the latest sale...how great the store is....whatever. How am I supposed to know that is not the case here if I don't speak spanish?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,339,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It doesn't bother me. I just assume Target no longer wants English speaking customers so I'll take my business elsewhere. Last time I looked, English was the official language here. Apparently, what they have on sale is intended for only people who speak spanish. I'll shop at stores that advertise in the language I understand, thank you. I refuse to shop in stores that advertise in foriegn languages. I figure if they don't want my business bad enough to put out commercials I understand, they don't want my business.
Actually, we don't have an official language here. It's just the commonly spoken one due to early British colonization.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,723,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Actually, we don't have an official language here. It's just the commonly spoken one due to early British colonization.
I stand corrected. However, it is the majority language. For now anyway. If this commercial is any indicator, we'll be switching to spanish...which is a problem because the only thing I can do in spanish is count to three which is probably why I find this commercial so disturbing. While I regret not learning another language when I was young, I don't want to have to learn a new language just to get by at my age.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,339,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's in Portuguese?
Actually, I'm wrong -they're Argentinians.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,330,562 times
This might be the stupidest thread on City-Data ever....

Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,868,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Pretty much.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,179,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think it's outrage. It's just not feeling comfortable doing business with Target because they put out a commercial they knew we would not understand. What does it say when you "advertise" in a manner that leaves the watcher confused? I don't get why Target chose to do that....unless they no longer care about attracting English speaking customers, which could be with the spanish speaking population on the rise.
You mean to say that Target deliberately tried to alienate its dominant market with this commercial? That's one hypothesis. A more likely explanation is that Target foolishly believed that no American could possibly be so thin-skinned, so ignorant and so downright stupid as to be offended by playing a song that doesn't contain English lyrics in its advertisements. Silly fools.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,179,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Not even close.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 PM

7,073 posts, read 19,440,986 times
Target runs thousands of ads. Someone gets upset because they didn't understand one of them? Geez.

FWIW, I don't understand the song lyrics either, but I don't think that's important. I think the clips of people having summer fun imply that you can get the things you need ("gear up") in order to have that fun at Target. Language aside, i find the song kind of annoying, but some may think it fits with the "fun" theme.

Again, companies like Target run tons of ads to reach as many potential customers as possible. It's not all about you all the time.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 PM

510 posts, read 893,295 times
Another commercial that I noticed recently was a shaving product. Some 'edge' manscaping tool. Wouldn't have imagined seeing that one ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies