Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I find Target's new commercial, entirely in Spanish, featuring the ula ula song, disturbing. I turned on the closed caption option on my tv and I read the Spanish lyrics, but they are meaningless to me. Does this commercial bother anyone else?
Yes indeed, I quit watching Breaking Bad because there was too much spoken Spanish <>sarcasm off!</>

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM

596 posts, read 729,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, they, obviously, are not targeting English speaking customers. Sorry but I have no desire to do business with someone who won't even tell me what is on sale in my own language when my language is the language spoken here. IMO, Target is making a very LOUD statement about their loyalties with this commercial. I hope they have plenty of spanish speaking customers because they're about to lose a lot of English speaking customers. They've made their choice.

If you require me to learn a FORIEGN language to understand your commercials, you, obviously, do not want my business. Not only do I turn off this commercial but all Target commercials now. I find this very annoying and I now have one less credit card. The one with the bulls eye got shredded...it was in English so I assumed it was no longer welcome at their stores since they're into Spanish speaking people now. Target is free to be a spanish company if they wish and I'm free to do business with English speaking companies.

And the entire commercial is in spanish. I don't speak spanish, which would be a problem if I were in a spanish speaking country, but I'm not, so I'm not going to sit and watch commercials in spanish nor will I shop at the companies that made them. They, clearly, are not targeting Americans. That's their choice.
You went back and added some stuff after I responded. I will just say this. Nobody is requiring you to learn another language to understand this commercial. Seriously, your anger about Spanish speakers in this country is clouding your view of a simple commercial. Also, the entire commercial is not in Spanish. The background song is in Spanish, but ALL of the words are in English. Did you even look at the commercial to see the words, or did you just hear the Spanish lyrics and start seething with rage?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
You went back and added some stuff after I responded. I will just say this. Nobody is requiring you to learn another language to understand this commercial. Seriously, your anger about Spanish speakers in this country is clouding your view of a simple commercial. Also, the entire commercial is not in Spanish. The background song is in Spanish, but ALL of the words are in English. Did you even look at the commercial to see the words, or did you just hear the Spanish lyrics and start seething with rage?
Yes they are. Either that or use a translator. I'm not doing either. I'll just take my business to the Meijer across the street from Target where they still advertise in English. You see, I prefer English remain the language spoken here so I'll put my money where my mouth is.

You don't get it. I DON'T KNOW IT'S just a background song beause I don't understand the words. You say it is a background song but I don't know that to be true. I just know you're saying it. I can't verify this for myself because I don't understand Spanish. THAT is what I find offensive. Aloutte was different because we sang that song as kids and know what it is. This is a commercial in a language I do not understand. I don't know if they're singing about this weeks specials or the man on the moon. Yes, I could use a translator to figure it out but it's just easier to watch the Meijer commercial, in English, and know what's on sale. Yes, I find a commercial where I cannot understand what is being said/sung offensive. Why target chose this, I can only guess and my guess is, they are targeting spanish speaking customers and I am not spanish speaking.

As to the commercial, I never watched it a second time because I don't understand the words being sung. I assumed that the written words were subtitles for the words being sung (I can only guess because I don't understand what is being sung and my experience with foriegn languages and written english words is that the words are sub titles for what is being said. So the commercial comes off as in Spanish, for Spanish people with English sub titles for those of us who don't speak spanish. If that was not Target's intent, they failed to make their intent clear.) but I, really, have no clue if they're singing about the price of flip flops and sunscreen this week or someone's dog crapping on the neighbor's lawn. For all I know, the song is dissing America. Without learning spanish or using a translator, I have no way of knowing. If Target doesn't care if I understand their commercials, I, obviously, am not their target customer.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-08-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,041 times
Quote:
Well, they, obviously, are not targeting English speaking customers. Sorry but I have no desire to do business with someone who won't even tell me what is on sale in my own language when my language is the language spoken here. IMO, Target is making a very LOUD statement about their loyalties with this commercial. I hope they have plenty of spanish speaking customers because they're about to lose a lot of English speaking customers. They've made their choice.

If you require me to learn a FORIEGN language to understand your commercials, you, obviously, do not want my business. Not only do I turn off this commercial but all Target commercials now. I find this very annoying and I now have one less credit card. The one with the bulls eye got shredded...it was in English so I assumed it was no longer welcome at their stores since they're into Spanish speaking people now. Target is free to be a spanish company if they wish and I'm free to do business with English speaking companies.

And the entire commercial is in spanish. I don't speak spanish, which would be a problem if I were in a spanish speaking country, but I'm not, so I'm not going to sit and watch commercials in spanish nor will I shop at the companies that made them. They, clearly, are not targeting Americans. That's their choice.
It is a song for goodness sake. If you didn't understand that commercial because of a spanish song I don't think you knowing spanish would have made much of a difference in whether or not you understood the commercial or not. If this isn't fake outrage, then I...I just don't know. *shakes head* Also i'm assuming you never eat at Mexican restaurants because anything Mexican is bad news right?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
It is a song for goodness sake. If you didn't understand that commercial because of a spanish song I don't think you knowing spanish would have made much of a difference in whether or not you understood the commercial or not. If this isn't fake outrage, then I...I just don't know. *shakes head* Also i'm assuming you never eat at Mexican restaurants because anything Mexican is bad news right?
It's a song in a language I do not understand. If I recognized the song, there would be no issue. The issue is I don't and it's in a language I don't understand. I have no idea what the song is about or how it relates to the products target sells if at all. It makes me uncomfortable to watch a commercial and not understand it. I expect this when I travel but not in my own home. I have to wonder why it's being done in my own back yard. What is offensive is the, intentional, lack of understanding. Unlike the Aloutte commercial, they did not pick a song we'd recognize. They picked one that Spanish speaking people would recognize. If they did not intend me to conclude that this is a commercial for Spanish speaking people then their advertizing department failed to do their job.

And I'm not outraged. I'm just taking my business to stores that advertise in English because I like understanding the commercials I listen to. A commercial I do not understand does not make me want to shop at your store. In fact it has the opposite effect. It makes me feel like I'm disconnected from the store that is advertising. Like they don't care whether I understand their commercials or not. That does not leave me with positive feelings about the store in quesiton. In fact, it leaves me with a negative impression. I, simply, have no desire to go to Target now. Meijer feels more welcoming to those of us who don't speak Spanish and they have a full grocery department.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I find Target's new commercial, entirely in Spanish, featuring the ula ula song, disturbing. I turned on the closed caption option on my tv and I read the Spanish lyrics, but they are meaningless to me.
Stop shopping at Target.

Problem solved.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,041 times
Quote:
It's a song in a language I do not understand. If I recognized the song, there would be no issue. The issue is I don't and it's in a language I don't understand. I have no idea what the song is about or how it relates to the products target sells if at all. What is offensive is the, intentional, lack of understanding. Unlike the Aloutte commercial, they did not pick a song we'd recognize. They picked one that Spanish speaking people would recognize. If they did not intend me to conclude that this is a commercial for Spanish speaking people then their advertizing department failed to do their job.
Alrighty. They failed to do their job. Looks like they are going to lose one customer. Your full of yourself if you think they are going to miss you and others who are outraged by this commercial. By the way in commercials that do have english songs playing in the background but the lyrics don't make sense in terms of what the commercial is about, do you become confused as to what the commercial is about just because of the song playing?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You don't like Brazilians?

I live in an "ethnic" household. You'd probably hate it, too. (It's Eastern European.)
It's in Portuguese?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Alrighty. They failed to do their job. Looks like they are going to lose one customer. Your full of yourself if you think they are going to miss you and others who are outraged by this commercial. By the way in commercials that do have english songs playing in the background but the lyrics don't make sense in terms of what the commercial is about, do you become confused as to what the commercial is about just because of the song playing?
They will lose more than one here. I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable watching a commercial that was, deliberately, written so I would not understand it and that does not leave a good feeling about the store in question. Let's just hope they make up in Spanish speaking customers what they lose in English only customers. I just don't feel good about Target anymore because they don't care if I understand their commercials or not. Commericals are supposed to make you want to shop somewhere not change the channel. This one makes me want to change the channel and each time I see it, it reinforces that Target doesn't care whether I understand their commercials or not. That just doesn't make me want to shop there.

When commercials use unrelated songs in English, I KNOW they are unrelated because I understand the lyrics. I understood that in the Aloutte commercial as well because I recognized the song. Once I realized the song had nothing to do with the commercial, the song was not an issue. I cannot do that with the spanish commercial because I neither understand the lyrics or recognize the song so I'm left to guess how the song relates to the commercial and the written words in the commercial. I don't like being made to feel stupid by a commercial. The only way I'd get it is if I spoke spanish but I don't. As I said, I expect this when I travel but not in my own home....at least not by anyone who wants my business.

The aloutte commercial made me feel good because the song takes me back to my childhood. This one makes me think "Did I, accidentally, turn on the Spanish channel?". It does not make me want to shop at Target. It leaves me scratching my head as to why they're airing a spanish commercial on regular TV.

Is there anyone here who speaks spanish and can tell me what the song is about?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-08-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I could care less ;its much about nothing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies