Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 PM

32,357 posts, read 15,327,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At the time nothing was leaked.
It's always "after the fact".

Hindsight is 20/20. The issue is today. Do you believe what the government tells you today or will you wait for 50+ years for government records to be released ?

For 42 years the government denied they used census bureau confidential data to round up Japanese Americans. In 2007 the Commerce Dept came clean.
I guess it depends what it is. My dad was CIA 40 years ago and his records are still not released. Sometimes things just need to be released after the fact.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,793,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantModerate View Post
Please post links proving if he did or didn't. Thanks.
I'm going to presume that you mean illegal and unconstitutional surveillance.

Yep, obviously he did. It was his administration that put the ill-named "Patriot Act" into practice.

And it was just as wrong when he did it then as it is for Obama to continue doing it now.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,261,768 times
yes; it appear the secret searches a start seven years go.it appear that both administration did it. That is what is so disturbing its gone on seven years secretly. if it has been known it was part of what passed I think by now it would have been challenged in court. it also seems the leadership of both parties knew and some say the entire congress knew it.Its as if they have the by partisanship many seem to want which isn't always good as we see. Democrats got to slam Bush then many voted for it to spin and others keep their mouth shuts and Obama continued it. Take that with the IRS targeting and other scandals and it seems they have decided that supreme court does not have to be followed as to constitutionality of searches. CIA records are quite different form this. CIA can not even operate within US border. That is the FBI job on counter intelligence. Seems you father taught you little about that. Like anything your father did if not outside country is not spying but perhaps just administration type which is legal.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 PM

32,357 posts, read 15,327,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
yes; it appear the secret searches a start seven years go.it appear that both administration did it. That is what is so disturbing its gone on seven years secretly. if it has been known it was part of what passed I think by now it would have been challenged in court. it also seems the leadership of both parties knew and some say the entire congress knew it.Its as if they have the by partisanship many seem to want which isn't always good as we see. Democrats got to slam Bush then many voted for it to spin and others keep their mouth shuts and Obama continued it. Take that with the IRS targeting and other scandals and it seems they have decided that supreme court does not have to be followed as to constitutionality of searches. CIA records are quite different form this. CIA can not even operate within US border. That is the FBI job on counter intelligence. Seems you father taught you little about that. Like anything your father did if not outside country is not spying but perhaps just administration type which is legal.
My father taught me nothing about his work...he couldn't. We didn't even know he was CIA until after he retired. And even then he couldn't talk about it. He did allude to certain things he was involved in. It's fascinating what he knew

Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM

24,278 posts, read 15,346,657 times
This government has always done exactly what they pleased. Remember bombing other countries just because we did not like their associates? We have messed with crops in other countries and said their grapes or whatever were not fit to eat in order to create havoc and control their government. Anybody who would do it under the guise of protecting the nation, would do it to citizens of their own.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,880,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I guess it depends what it is. My dad was CIA 40 years ago and his records are still not released. Sometimes things just need to be released after the fact.
I'd say way after the fact because the outrage from citizens would be huge.
Let it sit on the shelf for 40-50 years and by then people won't care.

The government just admitted in 2007 that they used confidential census bureau data to round up the Japanese Americans for the internment camps.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,478,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantModerate View Post
Please post links proving if he did or didn't. Thanks.
PATRIOT Act?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,040,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm not at all happy with it, and I'm not happy with alot of things that Pres. Obama is doing, as are many others who voted for him.

We are immensely happy that we voted for him and not his opponent, as that would have increased such malfeasance ten fold had Mittens won the Presidency.
I did not vote at all because both were terrible choices. I am done picking the lesser of two evils.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 AM

24,278 posts, read 15,346,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd say way after the fact because the outrage from citizens would be huge.
Let it sit on the shelf for 40-50 years and by then people won't care.

The government just admitted in 2007 that they used confidential census bureau data to round up the Japanese Americans for the internment camps.
Didn't the government's Warren Commission decide to not release details of the Kennedy assassination for 50 years. I thought at the time that I'd be a really old woman when we finally found out everything. Now that I am a really old woman, my inquiring mind still wants to know. Must have missed it.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,407,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Didn't the government's Warren Commission decide to not release details of the Kennedy assassination for 50 years. I thought at the time that I'd be a really old woman when we finally found out everything. Now that I am a really old woman, my inquiring mind still wants to know. Must have missed it.
I love Earl Warren. He's a hero to me and the giant of all giants to me relative to Americans of the 20th Century.

But I will always consider his commission's findings to be farcical at best. How anyone can take that report seriously goes way the hell over my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies