Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,281,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Before you answer that I think you need to define who the media is.

Does <insert big wig journalist> get a pass and some blogger doesn't?
the big wig journalist could be biased towards a political organization though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,796,213 times
the people.

\thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the people.

\thread
Can citizens within the government *really* decide to show the national secrets without consequence?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,333,667 times
Neither its the supreme court that decides what is public information and what isn't. The same as what is and what isn't legal or reasonable under search laws. We have numerous court cases on both that set the rules to be used. intentional not following those rules is a violation of civil rights of the injured party(ies).

Old 06-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Neither its the supreme court that decides what is public information and what isn't. The same as what is and what isn't legal or reasonable under search laws. We have numerous court cases on both that set the rules to be used. intentional not following those rules is a violation of civil rights of the injured party(ies).
There is a significant lag between the supreme court and actions of the government though. In many cases, such secrets could slip by.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
the big wig journalist could be biased towards a political organization though.
That's kind of my point but the bigger issue if you're gong to give protections to some NYT journalist legally what makes them different than some blogger, me or you?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,081,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Who gets to decide what national secrets should be divulged to the public the media or the government?
it is supposed to be our elected officials, notably the president himself, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Funny that those who think that our safety is best left unserved are the "flower children" of the Left and the "Oblackman in WH" haters on the Right. Hmmmm, are they working together????
leave it to you to come up with a childish insult, especially against the conservatives. you have NO proof that the right hates obama just because he is black. as i have said many times before, i dont hate obama, i cant because i have never met the man personally. i however do not like his political views, or many of the policies he has instituted. i have said the same thing about clinton and carter as well. i dont care about the color of a persons skin, it means nothing to me. perhaps it does to you, i dont know.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,648,450 times
Um, checks and balances. Just like the three-tiered system of government, left unchecked, it will turn into a black-hole for information where nothing escapes it and it becomes the same type of government that the Founding Fathers rebelled against with a very long list of transgressions.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:57 PM

29,706 posts, read 16,775,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
leave it to you to come up with a childish insult, especially against the conservatives. you have NO proof that the right hates obama just because he is black. as i have said many times before, i dont hate obama, i cant because i have never met the man personally. i however do not like his political views, or many of the policies he has instituted. i have said the same thing about clinton and carter as well. i dont care about the color of a persons skin, it means nothing to me. perhaps it does to you, i dont know.

He made comments about both those on the left and right, and he did not include your screen name in the comment so why are you taking so much offense to it. His comment is clearly talking about those on the fringe because even people like Lindsey Graham are defending these actions and so are other Republicans.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 PM

29,706 posts, read 16,775,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Um, checks and balances. Just like the three-tiered system of government, left unchecked, it will turn into a black-hole for information where nothing escapes it and it becomes the same type of government that the Founding Fathers rebelled against with a very long list of transgressions.
all 3 branches of government knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies