Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you put money in a tip jar at non-resturaunt establishments?
YES 13 26.00%
NO 37 74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM

1,137 posts, read 976,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
burger king in my town pays 9.00 starting off, the one at the beach 50 miles away starts people off at 10.61. Prices are exactly the same.

And if you meant only servers(waiters), then they only make like 5 dollars an hour, bumping them up to 9 or 10 is not going to raise your prices.
You clearly have zero knowledge of the restaurant business if you think servers making 9 or 10 an hour wouldnt result in an increase in menu prices.

WOW. You should stick to commenting on things you actually have knowledge of (if there is a single topic with which you are knowledgeable)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM

1,137 posts, read 976,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Tip him/her $10-20 occasionally when you pick your car up, you'll reap the benefits from it over time...it's amazing what people will do for you when they feel appreciated....because they're so used to not being appreciated by others.
Exactly.

Same goes for the $20 trick at hotels. A little bribery goes a long way.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,263,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Exactly.

Same goes for the $20 trick at hotels. A little bribery goes a long way.
I give each of my garbage men $20 and help them load the truck in front of my house every christmas and they have always let me exceed the limit on the number of bags they can pick up at once.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,024,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
agreed - tipping is a scam and a mugs game!

it's one of the biggest jokes out there, with the main joke being on the punter who has to pay the wages of the staff, then the tip goes to the owner, what a big ****ing, right wing joke!

abolish it
Just curious but how do know that Tip Jars are a right-wing creation?

I see Tip Jars at liberal establishments such as Starbucks.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,789,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You must be a real prize to wait on in a resturant.
Whats a scam is the wait staff having to claim tips to the IRS.
and as someone who has waited tables, let me tell you, I was 100% honest when claiming my daily earnings at cash out. all waiters are.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,263,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
and as someone who has waited tables, let me tell you, I was 100% honest when claiming my daily earnings at cash out. all waiters are.
I waited tables through high school/college and was 100% honest too. I knew a few people who were dishonest, but everyone knew they were d-bags anyway. Given the fact that most people pay with credit/debit cards anyway, it is hard to not be honest. The restaurants I worked at would question servers who had big differences between credit/cash tips ("the system shows you had an 18% average on credit card tips but you only said you got 7% with your cash, what's going on"?)

Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I waited tables through high school/college and was 100% honest too. I knew a few people who were dishonest, but everyone knew they were d-bags anyway. Given the fact that most people pay with credit/debit cards anyway, it is hard to not be honest. The restaurants I worked at would question servers who had big differences between credit/cash tips ("the system shows you had an 18% average on credit card tips but you only said you got 7% with your cash, what's going on"?)
I was being sarcastic. perhaps it's because I waited tables before everyone paid with a card, but my restaurant didn't require you to claim jack. none of the waiters did. when I delivered pizza freshman year of college, I didn't claim anything.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
it's pretty much standard. that $2.13 an hour I was paid was gobbled up in taxes. our two week paychecks used to be like $13.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM

12,337 posts, read 17,243,475 times
Quote:
I tip for counter service if the person does a good job. If I pay with cash I give the change (coins, not dollars) to the tip jar. If the person is nice, goes above what they had to do, why wouldn't I tip just because it isn't a sit-down restaurant?
I agree. These workers deal with people all day and often have a very fast pace and multitasking to deal with. If they can do this and remain affable and friendly, Hell yeah they deserve some extra cash for themselves!

It's become a dividing issue among many. Look, These workers do not make high incomes. Some are in school, Some may be seeking employment in a different field. Some may enjoy it as a permanent job even. But it is still a restaurant and I cannot see the uproar of giving them some extra change or a dollar at least that will add up and give them at least some extra income.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,649,306 times
Nope I do not tip...if I go to Starbucks (which is rare) I just paid too much for coffee anyway...and to see a tip jar-I don't know it kind of infuriates me...

At waitress/waiter places....yes I do...but if the service stinks..no I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies