Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you put money in a tip jar at non-resturaunt establishments?
YES 13 26.00%
NO 37 74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,239,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
If I can be reasonably sure that the workers are making regular wages vs. waitress/waiter wages, then no, I won't tip. I have no problem tipping when I'm served in a regular restaurant and the waiter/waitress is depending on those tips.
This^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM

1,137 posts, read 976,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
BS!

if you cannot afford to pay your staff decent wages then you should close down

it's not up to the customer!

so retarded
Raising wages would mean prices also get raised, then the customers would scoff at paying $15-18 for a burger, so it is in fact up to the customer. Margins are very thin in restaurants, and in good restaurants servers and bartender's can make a very decent living on tips alone.

In your delusional world, what would a "decent wage" be for a server?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM

1,137 posts, read 976,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So it should be income that is not reported?
A big LOL at the idea of tipped employees reporting 100% of their tips . That's hilarious.

Its one of the biggest points of attraction to the job

Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM

29,645 posts, read 16,694,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Raising wages would mean prices also get raised, then the customers would scoff at paying $15-18 for a burger, so it is in fact up to the customer. Margins are very thin in restaurants, and in good restaurants servers and bartender's can make a very decent living on tips alone.

In your delusional world, what would a "decent wage" be for a server?
burger king in my town pays 9.00 starting off, the one at the beach 50 miles away starts people off at 10.61. Prices are exactly the same.

And if you meant only servers(waiters), then they only make like 5 dollars an hour, bumping them up to 9 or 10 is not going to raise your prices.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,388,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I tip when the wait staff brings me food.
If they don't bring the food, I don't tip.
Same here, I tip at a Steak and Shake even though they make min wage because they bring the food and drinks to the table.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,444,915 times
Quote:
Why should I have to pay their wages?

That is the owner's job.

And why should I tip only to NOT get attitude.

It's a medieval shake down for chumps.
So if the bill was 15% higher because the staff was paid better and no tipping was expected, you'd be OK with that? Then what's the difference if it's that way or if you just give the 15% to the staff and the bill remains the way it is? Sounds like you just don't like to tip. Sometimes tipping has benefits.....I used to eat lunch at the same 3-4 times a week. The bill was $10-15 and I always left a $5 tip. After awhile they stopped charging me for everything except my entree....drink, salad and dessert were free....with managers approval...and sometimes my whole meal got comped...and I continued to leave my usual $5 tip.

If you have a fairly new vehicle and your repairs are usually covered under warranty, try using using the same service writer every time you bring your car in for repairs. Tip him/her $10-20 occasionally when you pick your car up, you'll reap the benefits from it over time...it's amazing what people will do for you when they feel appreciated....because they're so used to not being appreciated by others.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM

45,436 posts, read 26,706,643 times
We need laws to eliminate tipping. That way the wait staff will be hourly or salaried and paid the same no matter what type of service they provide. Nothing like wage controls to get keep the wheels moving.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM

31,302 posts, read 20,851,549 times
Quote:
agreed - tipping is a scam and a mugs game!

it's one of the biggest jokes out there, with the main joke being on the punter who has to pay the wages of the staff, then the tip goes to the owner, what a big ****ing, right wing joke!

abolish it

what a big ****ing, left wing joke! Abolish it!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
In all of your other threads you are 100% supportive of helping people who don't make a lot of money, but when it comes to giving up your own money you are against it?

Isn't that more than a little hypocritical?

Yes, or another word for it is Democrat.

They love to spend other people's money. But they draw the line when it comes to donating their own money.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I campaign to increase wages, not crumbs thrown down to the dogs by their masters.
Especially if those are YOUR crumbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies