Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty impressed with the actions of city officials. Unanimously voting to terminate the two officers and calling for an investigation by the state's attorney is the kind of action that put them and the city in good stead. And that pretty much ends my involvement on the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Black on white crime is more common than white on black crime. So if racism does exist, it's more likely to be coming from blacks, than coming from whites.

This probably doesn't sit well with OP eh?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Black on white crime is more common than white on black crime. So if racism does exist, it's more likely to be coming from blacks, than coming from whites.

This probably doesn't sit well with OP eh?
eh, we're talking that a government agency violated a black person's civil rights, not black on white crime, or white on black crime, white on white, black on black.

I say Jasper Texas has a pattern of producing some racists, maybe not the entire town, but I am almost sure it has it's share, maybe more than any other community I have seen. Seems like they're, in the news more often than not.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
I like how this is somehow connected to some random incident 15 years ago and now the whole town is racist. Like everyone in town is in on the beating of this black woman and that black guy towed behind a truck.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
eh, we're talking that a government agency violated a black person's civil rights, not black on white crime, or white on black crime, white on white, black on black.

I say Jasper Texas has a pattern of producing some racists, maybe not the entire town, but I am almost sure it has it's share, maybe more than any other community I have seen. Seems like they're, in the news more often than not.
Still playing the race card, eh. Still havent found the proof that they are racist? That same camera that caught them being a bit aggressive will also show them passing off many other blacks, but without problems. I bet you can check previous arrest records, and no racial complaints.

This has nothing to do with race.

What are the black persons civil rights. Are they different then a white persons civil rights. Why can't you just say her civil rights. Why must you qualify it with a color. THAT is the problem.

Now to label a primarily black town as a place that produces racists is quite bold. Back it up. Show the data. All you say is maybe, but, almost sure, maybe more, and seems.

YOU labeled this town. Prove to us now that this town produces more racists. You are using one 15 year old story that was racist.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I could careless if the the victim was purple. If these cops are guilty of police brutality, FRY their asses.

I do agree with you very much. Why is it that it is alwyas the bad, that seem to screw it up for the good decent hard working cops, which are out there, doing their job and doing it well.

I am not convinced this is a race issue as much as a bully, arrogant, thug, tough cop syndrome. I remember last year maybe some of you do, when a white women was beaten in a police station, can't remember which state it was. She was also draggged any one remember that.

I think some cops take their jobs beyond what their jobs entail. Do i think this was right hell no. I don't think it is right when cops beat a white man to death also, Fullerton Calif, remember that case.

I do not agree that this women should have had her head slammed into a desk and then dragged, that is just me.

I personally don't think it is a race issue, but it does seem that these days, the race card is used so readily and so often, it is ammusing and baffling. These were two bully cops, who would also push a old white man also. Some cops have no patience at all, and before thinking about becoming a cop, should seriously think about the job at hand.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Still playing the race card, eh. Still havent found the proof that they are racist? That same camera that caught them being a bit aggressive will also show them passing off many other blacks, but without problems. I bet you can check previous arrest records, and no racial complaints.

This has nothing to do with race.

What are the black persons civil rights. Are they different then a white persons civil rights. Why can't you just say her civil rights. Why must you qualify it with a color. THAT is the problem.

Now to label a primarily black town as a place that produces racists is quite bold. Back it up. Show the data. All you say is maybe, but, almost sure, maybe more, and seems.

YOU labeled this town. Prove to us now that this town produces more racists. You are using one 15 year old story that was racist.
Hypothetically speaking, if people are outnumbered by another group of people, I can see how the majority of the minority in that town could be racists.

E.G.
If you were the only white person in a setting where everyone around you might be black, you might be intimidated by the fact you are outnumbered. Maybe the white minority in that town feels some level of intimidation. Largely, Jasper Texas remains segregated to this modern day.

Things in Jasper are not all hunky dory like some of you think it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
“It’s our custom, here in the South, here in Jasper,” said Albert K. Snell, 80, a retired teacher who is white and a member of the cemetery’s board of directors. “We have the same cemetery, but we don’t mix the white and the black graves. They’re separate. Put a black up here? No, no, we wouldn’t do that. That would be against our custom, against our way of doing things.”
Quote:
In recent months, the perpetual, uncomfortable truce between the races in this piney woods town of 7,600 has ruptured, and the feuding has become increasingly public
Quote:
FBI probe sought

In June, black council members sought an FBI investigation into "threats and discriminatory treatment being heaped upon the police chief and the minority City Council members."
Read more...
Politics brings a new test to Jasper race relations - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
The controversy was touched off when Pearson, 46, was appointed the interim chief in February 2011 by what was at the time a majority black city council. After the council passed over other candidates, including the preferred interim choice of Mayor Mike Lout and the outgoing police chief, a largely white group mounted an effort to recall the council’s three black members.
Read more...
Black Leaders in Jasper Say Racial Tensions Escalating | The Texas Tribune

Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if people are outnumbered by another group of people, I can see how the majority of the minority in that town could be racists.

E.G.
If you were the only white person in a setting where everyone around you might be black, you might be intimidated by the fact you are outnumbered. Maybe the white minority in that town feels some level of intimidation. Largely, Jasper Texas remains segregated to this modern day.

Things in Jasper are not all hunky dory like some of you think it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...anted=all&_r=0

Read more...
Politics brings a new test to Jasper race relations - Houston Chronicle

Read more...
Black Leaders in Jasper Say Racial Tensions Escalating | The Texas Tribune
And just think how the handful full of blacks must feel in your town.

Do you really think segregation is non existent throughout most of the US? It's everywhere. We still have segregated proms here.

I just can't figure out why you want to pick on Jasper.

Racial tension is building throughout the US. So is political tension. We keep up the way we are, it's gonna get ugly and fast. Thank God, I have my guns

Old 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
And just think how the handful full of blacks must feel in your town.

Do you really think segregation is non existent throughout most of the US? It's everywhere. We still have segregated proms here.

I just can't figure out why you want to pick on Jasper.

Racial tension is building throughout the US. So is political tension. We keep up the way we are, it's gonna get ugly and fast. Thank God, I have my guns
I think at best, race relations in Jasper are strained.
Meeting violence with violence isn't the answer, dialogue is.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
A black woman in police custody was beaten by two white cops in Jasper Texas, the same town where a black man was dragged to his death behind a pickup truck years ago.

The city also hired a black police chief, but he didn't last long either, they fired him.

RAW VIDEO: Female inmate allegedly being beat by two Texas officers | kens5.com San Antonio

Jasper, you have a problem!

Video captures Jasper, Texas, police officers beating woman

Maybe Jasper should change it's name to Redneckville?

See? Racism is still alive and doing well in America.

CCTV Video captures Jasper, Texas, police officers beating woman brutally - YouTube

I recall the Byrd case as well....
Whoever is in charge , as well as perpetrators of the beating need to be civilly and criminally sued:

Found a firm in Jasper Tx:

Seale, Stover, & Bisbey | Jasper Texas Lawyers

These cases require legal accountability from those responsible. Punitive damages send a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies