Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,829,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

On Saturday, we took my mother out to dinner at a posh restaurant. The food was excellent. The service was terrible. I did leave a tip, but it was just enough to be insulting, and was intended to send a message to the waiter. The restaurant only had about six tables occupied at the time, and there was no excuse for the level of service we received.

Love it or hate it, the practice of tipping a provider of some sort of service motivates that person to give their customers a higher quality experience. If I'm serving your table, and you're wearing a $8,000 watch, I'm going to make damn sure that you have everything you need, when you need it, because I want that big, fat tip. If tipping were taken out of the equation, and I'm getting paid the same regardless of how friendly, efficient and timely I do my job, then what's the motivation to go the extra mile for you?

You get the service you pay for.

I'm certain he has no idea that many of those wait staff make BIG bucks if they are good. I know uneducated wait staff that are good friendly and personable, know the business, serve the customers with a smile, are fast and efficient and make a LOT, and I mean a whole LOT of money.

A communism supporting person would be against an incentive based pay system? Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,933,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Idiot perhaps, but that doesnt help the waitress either way.

So why is this feudalistic practice still occuring in a supposed beacon of democracy, or is it all just another phoney sham
Contact your Congressman and tell him to create a bill making it illegal to accept gratuities.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,475,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Contact your Congressman and tell him to create a bill making it illegal to accept gratuities.

No Congressman...........he does NOT live in the USA.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 AM

23,824 posts, read 24,208,453 times
Quote:
If u dont tip, u get attitude.
Who cares? At that point, you're leaving.

Quote:
And again, why should the owner be let of the hook when it comes to the wages, can u answer that one?
The business owner NEVER pays the wages. The customer ALWAYS does. ALWAYS. Either directly or indirectly, but without exception, it's the customer that provides the dollars that end up in an employee's bank account.

At least the customer has some control over that amount when part of it comes from a tip, and they can adjust that amount based on the level of service they received.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM

23,824 posts, read 24,208,453 times
Quote:
So why is this feudalistic practice still occuring in a supposed beacon of democracy, or is it all just another phoney sham
Kenny is teetering on the brink of insanity...

First of all, the United States is a republic, not a democracy. Second, what the hell does our system of government have to do with whether or not an individual wants (or doesn't want) to give another individual some money for doing a good job?

You're losing it, Kenny, if you ever had "it" to begin with, that is.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,183,323 times
Quote:
Imagine having to pay for your car to be repaired and then having to make an EXTRA, under the table payment to the mechanic, ie his wages.

Now that would be strange as you would expect the employer to cover this one, as that is what you are paying for.

So why does this charade even exist?

of course, I am referring to the obligatory tipping system in restaurants,diners, bars etc, where the tip covers the min wage.

So does anyone actually agree with this archaic system?
A tip was SUPPOSED to be, an extra gratuity provided for service over and above the expected service.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM

8,661 posts, read 9,193,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The IRS figured this one out a long time ago. The calculate what would be the expected tip income, and if the employee doesn't report that, they have problems.
Its really not figured out however. Its based on honesty or an assumption, averages. Another words easier to cheat the system.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,866,526 times
Quote:
Running away from issues is not my style, so the dine at home thing does not cut it with me.

Basically, it is a vestige of feudalism that causes social malaise and division.

The practice should be abolished forthwith.
There's a difference in running away from issues and not participating in their perpetuation. If you really feel the way you say you do about tipping, eating out should be something you avoid at all times. If you do eat out, then you're complicit in supporting a system you claim to abhor.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,014,767 times
People who are stupid enough to dump their unwanted change in the tip jars are what's the problem.

Tip jars never existed at coffee shops and other places before 7-Eleven started the whole thing with its "take-a-penny-leave-a-penny" jar. The original idea was to help customers who were short some change. But when businesses saw people were willing to throw their money away they exploited it to include the now ubiquitous Tip Jar.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,829,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
People who are stupid enough to dump their unwanted change in the tip jars are what's the problem.

Tip jars never existed at coffee shops and other places before 7-Eleven started the whole thing with its "take-a-penny-leave-a-penny" jar. The original idea was to help customers who were short some change. But when businesses saw people were willing to throw their money away they exploited it to include the now ubiquitous Tip Jar.

...and ^^^THIS^^^ is why most of this country has laws prohibiting the use of drugs like marijuana.

Just say "No" man... I know you can do it if you try. We'll be here to support your efforts if you'd just say "No".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies