Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times

Advertisements

Vermont just became the fourth state to legalize it. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
No one should force a person to suffer or to die without dignity. I support a person's right to choose death.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:48 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
If we have the right to a living will to refuse DNR or not to be put on life support, then we should have the right to chose assisted suicide. IMO, if doctors have to honor the content of a living will it is the same as assisted suicide. At my age, I would also add to my living will that the doctors assist me in suicide if I was in a coma and didn't come out of it within a month's time. Either give me the needle or remove the tubes that feed me, which is a form of life support, and let me go.

What is the point of forcing someone who is suffering from an incurable disease, to live in constant pain, only to prolong the inevitable, which would be death? While the person is suffering and dying, so is the family suffering who has to watch that person slowly die. I wouldn't want to put my family through that, not to mention the money that would be wasted to keep me alive for whatever short period of time. It's not as if keeping me alive would improve the quality of my life. I would rather my family take that money and go on a vacation and remember me as I was.

Allow me my dignity and the choice to go out my way.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Vermont just became the fourth state to legalize it. What are your thoughts?
Great to hear VT legalized it, I'm all for legal suicide as opposed to one being essentially 'forced' to live or taking their way out to the extremes such as jumping off a bridge or even something as brutal as taking others out with them. I'm not sure how euthanasia works where it's legal, but I believe that it should take a few days or even a month before that person is put down because I believe all of us have our days where we'd just like to melt off the earth therefore if someone is just having a bad day, they shouldn't be able to just have suicide performed on them. I think it should be free if their body is automatically donated to science.

Last year I really began agreeing that suicide should be legal with the Sandy Hook shooting and particularly this guy in the UK that was paralyzed and wanted to put down but the court denied it, he died like a few days, weeks, or months later and it really shocked me. I'd also suggest people who want to inflict harm on others could be put down quicker than I suggested in the my paragraph above.

Here goes what I was talking about, about the guy who wanted to die:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/wo...dead.html?_r=0

Last edited by BMORE; 05-22-2013 at 01:06 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Yes, unless the problem is temporary, like depression.

For end of life situations, we make the decision for our beloved pets when they are in pain with no hope of recovery, and it is a humane decision. It makes zero sense to deny ourselves the same right to end our suffering when no hope is left for recovery, or if the level of suffering is too much to bear for what recovery might be had (say in severe burn cases). The fact that many who reach this state need assistance in order to end life, shouldn't preclude it from happening.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
I'm absolutely in favour of assisted suicide. I'm a nurse and I've seen some things, man.
Ugly things.
No human beings should ever be allowed to languish in pain for months or years between life and death. Unless, of course, they want to.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Only for politicians.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
I think it will be legal in all 50 states one day. We can not go on warehousing old people and paying 200,000 for surgeries that add 2 months to their lives. I hope my generation will just check out instead of barely surviving and calling it life and sending the bill to the younger generation. Man up and face death on your own terms instead of pooping in a diaper.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Yes, I worked as an LPN in nursing homes and recently work as a patient sitter.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Yes. I never understood why we could put animals down, but can't choose to allow humans to choose the same fe=or themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies