Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
A gun isn't intrinsically a weapon, it's a tool. There are many legitimate uses for firearms that have nothing to do with shooting people.
It`s a weapon.A screwdriver is a tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Well if you really want to control the use of weapons by criminals... I say weapons because guns are only one of many. To control the criminals use of weapons you would have to go back to wild west days and allow people to carry and hoster on their belts. You break the law back then and you are liable to get shot from almost anyone.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It`s a weapon.A screwdriver is a tool.
If someone is lunging at you with a screwdriver it is now a weapon

Last edited by mike0618; 05-19-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
What we need is CRIMINAL CONTROL!

Too dangerous to have a gun= too dangerous to be free! SIMPLE!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
If someone is lunging at you with a screwdriver it is now a weapon
Careful....you just sent them into a mind melt to figure that out...

Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM

408 posts, read 215,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I repeat you are in lala land connecting Australian gun control with fear mongering about immigrant crime in Australia.
Here's a plan . . . I'll accept your assessment on Australia if you admit I'm correct about the UK.

Quote:
In terms of the rest of your post. My point was that the constitution can be amended, so pretending that some right is written in stone and forever can not be altered is foolhardy.
And you thinking a right (exception from a power never granted to government) can be rescinded or removed or "taken back" by the government is a pipe dream.

Quote:
My other point was that the supreme courts CAN reserve the opinions of previous supreme courts and has done so.
But the Supreme Court has been boringly consistent regarding the right to arms and the 2nd Amendment, (two separate, distinct things), for a long, long time and to reverse that holding would require a complete upheaval of the entire rights theory that the Court has enforced for over 200 years. The Court does not share your opinion that the the right to arms is an outlier or unique or of lesser status as the rest of our fundamental rights (enumerated or unenumerated).

You and most of the left suffer a profound ignorance of the Constitution and its operation.

Quote:
One supreme court ruled that racial segregation was legal. Another supreme court over turned that decision.
And in the very first right to arms / 2nd Amendment case the Court ever heard it recognized the right of former slaves "to bear arms for lawful purpose" (that being, self-defense from the KKK) and stated:
"The right there specified is that of "bearing arms for a lawful purpose." This is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. . . ."
In the Court's next RKBA / 2nd Amendment case, ten years later, the Court quoted itself and changed the terminology specific to the prior case for the familiar wording of the 2nd Amendment to make the general statement that:
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. . . "
In 2008 the Court again quoted itself with an explanation of what was self-explanatory:
"it has always been widely understood that the Second Amendment, like the First and Fourth Amendments, codified a pre-existing right. The very text of the Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it “shall not be infringed.” As we said in . . . 1876 , “[t]his is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. . .”
So, how are you going to amend the Constitution to impact a right that is not, in any manner dependent upon the Constitution for its existence?

You gonna sell your proposed amendment as making the right to keep and bear arms entirely dependent upon what you want to invent the Constitution to say?

Goodluckwiddat!

Quote:
Yes, the supreme court specifically gave cities and states the right to regulate gun ownership. You don't know what you are talking about.
It is quite obvious you don't know what you are talking about. Not that I expect you to do it but I would like to see you support that statement, that, "the Court gave[?] cities and states the right[?] to regulate gun ownership."

All I can do is laugh; this being passed off as legitimate constitutional thought?

Quote:
The rest of your post was irrelevant. I don't care about your insane conspiracy theories about the Joyce foundation or social scientists.
It is truly amazing how often your comments inspire so many "irrelevant" replies from others!

It is clear that when you say "irrelevant" you are actually screaming, "leave me alone, I can't support my inanity!" LOL

Just for fun . . . LINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies