Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If fewer and fewer households choose to not own a gun - who cares? That's their choice. Nobody's freedom is impacted.
I didn't say someone should care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM

567 posts, read 1,121,116 times
I'll bite.

I'm left wing but pro gun, just so you know.

A large number of illegal guns are burglarized from private homes. This isn't going to be very popular, but legal gunowners should be held at least partially liable. Mandatory gun safes. (Even if it's just a modified bike lock bolted to concrete poured into an old tin washtub.) Your piece is either on your person, within 20 feet of you, or locked away. If you don't make a substantial effort to keep your gun secured, and it gets stolen and ends up being used in a crime, you can be held liable. Not like years in prison or anything, but maybe a big fat fine, confiscation of the rest of your guns, or be open to civil action.

Go after crooked gun sellers. They're out there. Redouble efforts to snag them and toss them into federal dungeons for a long time.

I'm not enthusiastically promoting these particular ideas (very mixed feelings), but neither do I think it's impossible to at least make a dent in the number of illegal guns floating around out there in the hands of violent felons.

Edited to Add: Just went through an old thread. It turns out the vast majority are due to crooked licensed dealers (as well as private sales) and that the ATF's hands are tied. Well, shoot. Untie their hands and throw those damned crooked dealers into the dungeon.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM

46,325 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Gun nuts are gun nuts and this nation has plenty. The NRA is the mouthpiece of the gun manufacturers and sellers.

Fewer and fewer households do own guns. This declining trend in gun ownership has been going on for a long time. The majority of American households don't own guns. This has been consistent across many polls over and over again.
So, this is the second time you have stated this with nothing to back up your claim....

Typical leftist...

Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This statement was made by Obama back in 2008 before becoming president.

“As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen…. We can work together to enact common-sense laws … so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals.”

Sounds nice - but how do you do that? How you keep guns away from criminals?

At a point in time, a criminal makes a first offense. Before that, he is a law abiding citizen. How do you take away the right for this person to own a gun when he hasn't done anything?

OK - now the person commits a crime. Is the criminal a felon? If yes- then that person is already banned from owning a firearm - unless a pardon is granted. If no - then there's a process required to be allowed to own a gun.

It's seems like the law is in place already for what Obama stated back then with reference to criminals. Why do we need more control?

Maybe we need to be tougher on the people when the crimes are committed instead of concerning ourselves with the guns.

Maybe we need to act more quickly with regards to the justice system instead of allowing a bunch of time to pass before the court case begins.

Maybe we need to find out how existing criminals get the guns and cut off that supply chain instead of insisting that free people who are not criminals give up our guns. Oh, I forgot - our government sells guns, don't they?
The answer is simple... the death penalty. Any felon who uses a gun to commit a crime instantly gets the death penalty, no appeals, no stays, just goodbye.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I'll bite.

A large number of illegal guns are burglarized from private homes. This isn't going to be very popular, but legal gunowners should be held at least partially liable. Mandatory gun safes. (Even if it's just a modified bike lock bolted to concrete poured into an old tin washtub.) Your piece is either on your person, within 20 feet of you, or locked away. If you don't make a substantial effort to keep your gun secured, and it gets stolen and ends up being used in a crime, you can be held liable. Not like years in prison or anything, but maybe a big fat fine, confiscation of the rest of your guns, or be open to civil action.

I am sorry but that's ridiculous!!!

If my gun is stolen from my home, I need to be liable??? Someone broke into my home and stole my gun, and I need to be responsible for his criminal act???

If I keep my gun at home, in a safe or not, loaded or not, it's considered secured; If I keep a gun on my, that's considered secured.

What kind of logic is that???!!!

Would you apply the same ridiculous logic to stolen cars? They are used in every crime that you can imagine.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Currently, only gun purchases from a federally licensed dealer, manufacturer, or importer are required to pass a background check.
Tell that to the residents of the most populous state in the country.

Hey, it's "just the facts."

Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM

408 posts, read 215,301 times
Quote:
Australia is a recent example, but I know, blah, blah, blah.
Yes it is; the trend I speak of has been going on for quite a while there. ONE TWO

Quote:
What does immigration have to do with gun laws? Oh yeah, fear of the "other" xenophobia and gun nuttery general go together. So let me guess, the mexicans is gonna take over, or brown people the world over move to nations and don't respect the law.... just pure nonsense. I have no idea why you brought that up in this discussion.
You brought up gun control in other countries as being an exemplar of perfection. Their gun control (especially England) has been in force for centuries for political reasons. More recent enactments, in response to crime, are not all that successful because the criminals are not long standing members of British society and not accustomed or respectful of those British societal controls that have kept loyal British subjects happily disarmed thus not shooting each other.

In Australia it is Middle Easterners and East Africans (see links above), in England it is Eastern European crime syndicates and Jamaican "Yardies" both involved in the drug trade. Those groups pay no attention to national gun laws.

I made no mention nor drew any correlation to the USA, so, assigning my comment some xenophobic aspect, the "mexicans is gonna take over" etc, is entirely a product of your mind.

Quote:
The constitution can be amended, the supreme court can change decisions, congress can vote for new laws.
39 states are going to go along with your authoritarian ideas? LOL
For the Court to alter its holdings on the right to arms it would need to rewrite the entire foundation of rights theory it has operated under for over 200 years.
"Congress can vote for new laws" is the only part of this you got right.

Quote:
Just remember, the supreme court didn't say the government couldn't regulate gun ownership.
I know you think you know what the Court said, but what they actually said is not what you have been led to believe.

Quote:
So now the word households is a catch all? LOL Keep not knowing.
Well, it comes up often in "studies" that try to explain some sort of "gun effect" on society. "Households" is a nebulous, shapeshifting term that by including or excluding certain parameters can be made to show anything the authors want.

Quote:
You toss out another irrelevant insane conspiracy, the social scientists are out to get gun nuts, too? Who isn't out to get the gun nuts?
The Joyce Foundation is known for funding junk science that is outcome based. Their evil hand is in a wide selection of the incestuous academic / social science industry.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,817 times
Quote:
I'll bite.

Go after crooked gun sellers. They're out there. Redouble efforts to snag them and toss them into federal dungeons for a long time.

I'm not enthusiastically promoting these particular ideas (very mixed feelings), but neither do I think it's impossible to at least make a dent in the number of illegal guns floating around out there in the hands of violent felons.

Edited to Add: Just went through an old thread. It turns out the vast majority are due to crooked licensed dealers (as well as private sales) and that the ATF's hands are tied. Well, shoot. Untie their hands and throw those damned crooked dealers into the dungeon.
So if someone hotwires my car and uses it in a crime then I should be held responsible? Mandatory wheel boots for all cars so this doesn't happen.

Which thread? What do you mean by "crooked licensed dealers"? I ask that because I assume you are not familiar with the ATF checks on FFLs. They are required to keep a log book containing the serial number of each gun in and out of their possession. Let's say that Glock sent Jim's Guns and Pawn a shipment of 10 pistols but Jim only lists 8 on his incoming logs. At minimum, his license is suspended and at most, he can be sent to jail for falsifying records.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
If you don't make a substantial effort to keep your gun secured, and it gets stolen and ends up being used in a crime, you can be held liable.
Are you going to apply that same criteria to automobiles?

How about this:

If you don't make a substantial effort to keep your computer secured, and it gets infected by a virus and ends up being used in a crime, you can be held liable.

Sound good? Billions of dollars are lost every year due to the spam problem alone. The losses due to phishing scams are also very substantial. It's time we started making the victims of crime pay for it! Yeah!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
We are not other countries, we are larger, we have different ideas and a totally different way of life. If anyone thinks gun control of any kind will reduce gun violence it is time to get real. Criminals will always have guns, they will buy them off the black market or steal them. People who are off their rockers will get them from other people. I can accept background checks at gun shows, that is the only change that really makes sense.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies