Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Question: How do we know that all cycles follow the exact same pattern of heating/cooling? I know the data is probably there show similarities between each cycle, but do we know each is precisely consistent with each other? IOW, is there not a single cycle that deviated from the norm?

And you've stated that the data goes back 400,000 years. But not 4.8 billion years. Let's assume for a moment glaciation really wasn't an issue until about 2.5 billion years ago. You're still missing 2,499,600,000 years of data to show that occasional leaps in temperature did or did not occur.

I assume that that the speed of the warming is the main issue that points toward something "different". And do I think we - humanity - might have something to do with it? Maybe. It would be easy to assume that we - humanity - are the "different" variable this time. But I also think that, in science, we never say we "know it all", because when we do, nature tends to let us know how much we truly do not know. I think that we still do not have the entire picture of all of the factors to climate change. I'm not a denier. I'm a skeptic.
Ice-ages have come and gone ever since India slammed into the Eurasian continent 40 million years ago and formed the Himalayan mountain range. The current ice-age began 2.588 million years ago. We are currently enjoying the Holocene Interglacial Period for the last ~11,400 years, but the current ice-age is far from over.

Prior to that, between 850 million years ago and lasting until about 635 million years ago (a.k.a. the Cryogenian period), there were several very lengthy ice-ages, and at least two major worldwide glaciations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
There are no national or major scientific institutions anywhere in the world that dispute the theory of Man-made climate change. Not one.

Climate Change: Consensus

The folks who have studied the issue and concluded it's Man-made is a Whos-who of scientific organizations. What are YOUR credentials? - besides the fact that you have a computer and access to the internet?

Sorry, but you're a nobody in the world of science and I'll take THEIR word over YOUR word ANY DAY. You can choose to disbeleive if you want, but your opinion is of no value - none, nada, zip.

Ken
really now Ken...insults...really?

consensus of a THEORY is not PROOF

you do understand the difference between the three words

Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Question: How do we know that all cycles follow the exact same pattern of heating/cooling? I know the data is probably there show similarities between each cycle, but do we know each is precisely consistent with each other? IOW, is there not a single cycle that deviated from the norm?

And you've stated that the data goes back 400,000 years. But not 4.8 billion years. Let's assume for a moment glaciation really wasn't an issue until about 2.5 billion years ago. You're still missing 2,499,600,000 years of data to show that occasional leaps in temperature did or did not occur.

I assume that that the speed of the warming is the main issue that points toward something "different". And do I think we - humanity - might have something to do with it? Maybe. It would be easy to assume that we - humanity - are the "different" variable this time. But I also think that, in science, we never say we "know it all", because when we do, nature tends to let us know how much we truly do not know. I think that we still do not have the entire picture of all of the factors to climate change. I'm not a denier. I'm a skeptic.
Good point, we don't know everything. But anthropogenic climate change is the best explanation we have right now for the current changes we're seeing in the atmosphere and oceans. In the same way that natural selection is the best explanation we have right now for how species evolve. You don't have to agree that that's the only way, but no one's come up with a better explanation.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Consensus of a theory is all we've got. Most people understand that the theory of gravity is why we don't float away. Most people people understand that when you get the flu, it's because of a virus, not because of evil forest demons (germ theory).

Do you have a better explanation for why the climate is changing? You should tell NOAA, I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You know, I've always found it interesting that the very same people who push the scientific theory of evolution, in which nature is the end-all and be-all molding force behind every single living organism, refuse to even entertain the notion that climate change is a completely natural occurrence.
Such good science denialism in the U.S.! lol

I find it fascinating that evangelicals have served the fossil fuels industry so well through their demented science denialism.

I also find it interesting how fossil fuels billionaires would rather spend BILLIONS on science denialism, rather than on improving the planet. Exclusive: Billionaires secretly fund attacks on climate science - Climate Change - Environment - The Independent

Between evangelical nutjobs ("The earth is only 6000 years old! There's no climate change! There's no evolution!") and the BILLIONS the Koch Brothers and other fossil fuel barons are spending on Science DENIALISM (proof is all the crap on the Internet, TV, newspapers and other sources where you can find science denialism - all secretly financed by the fossil fuels a-holes).

With all the science denialism, I'm actually surprised science is still taught in the U.S. Between the evangelical wackos and the fossil fuel lobbies and billionaires, it's a virtual miracle!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am most concerned with the width of the current warm period shown on the graph as compared to the sharp peaks shown on previous warm periods. If what happened in the previous periods is what was most likely to have happened in the current warm period we should be halfway to another massive glaciation. This interglacial period has lasted around 10,000 years. The biggest change since the previous warm periods and this period is the presence of humans.

The questions is what did we do and are still doing that kept the planet warm when in previous situations the temperature reached a peak and rapidly dropped to a much lower level. If we are the reason the planet is staying warm we had better figure out what we are doing and keep doing it. It does not take much temperature drop to eliminate the grain growing regions in the Northern hemisphere. Loss of that food in a world of 10 billion people would create substantial difficulties.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Admitting that the world is shaped by rules indifferent to the existence let alone the importance of humans and is not affected by any appeals to a god is a very uncertain and difficult and way to live. An indifferent universe is a tough place to live. This difficulty leads may people to invent an entity that recognized their existence and supposedly responds to properly worded direct appeal. Along with this invention a priest class is developed in order to establish and charge for proper ways to appeal to the benevolent deity. This is how the greatest protection rackets the world has ever seen are created.

The reality is the world is what it is and is completely indifferent to everyone and always has been and will be. There is neither a curtain nor anyone, good or evil, behind it.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Consensus of a theory is all we've got. Most people understand that the theory of gravity is why we don't float away. Most people people understand that when you get the flu, it's because of a virus, not because of evil forest demons (germ theory).

Do you have a better explanation for why the climate is changing? You should tell NOAA, I'm sure they'd love to hear it.
Here's a theory:

Because the earth is an evolving, living planet - 4 billion years old- in a solar system / galaxy full of billions of evolving stars and planets, and despite human's delusions of importance we are insignificant in the universe, and our impact, while sometimes worrisome, is negligible by comparison to known events that occurred when we didn't exist.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Here's a theory:

Because the earth is an evolving, living planet - 4 billion years old- in a solar system / galaxy full of billions of evolving stars and planets, and despite human's delusions of importance we are insignificant in the universe, and our impact, while sometimes worrisome, is negligible by comparison to known events that occurred when we didn't exist.
That's a hypothesis. Actually, that's just an opinion.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Nary a chance of that!!!!

And furthermore, If "man-made global warming" is keeping us out of another glaciation, whole or partial, well gas up my SUV, I'm going for a leisurely cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies