Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Like tourist visas?

Student visas?

Temporary work visas?

I would say yes, they are not here for the long run. As much as the children of illegals.
Unless you're a citizen or on a permanent visa of some type...then yes, your child is an anchor baby.

We need to get rid of birthright citizenship based on merely being born in the US. It's total crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Unless you're a citizen or on a permanent visa of some type...then yes, your child is an anchor baby.

We need to get rid of birthright citizenship based on merely being born in the US. It's total crap.
Therefore Michelle Malkin is an anchor baby. Thanks!!! Even the teaparty has them

Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
Pfft.

My ex-stepson was born to German parents while the father was in the US on a prestigious academic stipend. Neither one of the parents would have dreamed of staying here and the boy is now 30 and has no plans whatsover to live in the US.

I think if you were to call him an "anchor baby" you would get nothing but a confused look in response.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 04-25-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If the kid has stayed here 18 years and then petitioned the parents in, I for one am completely cool with it. That's the kind of perseverance we want our of our citizens.
You don't have to stay. You can be born here, go back to Mexico, and return with your family when you hit 18.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Pfft.

My ex-stepson was born to German parents while the father was in the US on a pretigious stipend. Neither one of the parents would have dreamed of staying here and the boy is now 30 and has no plans whatsover to live in the US.

I think if you were to call him an "anchor baby" you would get nothing but a confused look in response.
if they are not here.... obviously the kid is not an anchor baby.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
Quote:
if they are not here.... obviously the kid is not an anchor baby.
So would some arrogant 'murrcan have called their son an anchor baby while they were living in Rochester NY?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Yup, once the kid is 21.

"Sympathy ploy" has no legal bearing - it's simply a concept used to instill fear in people who have absolutely no idea that an "anchor baby" doesn't do anything for the parents unless that child reaches 21 years of age.
Illegals are already using their U.S. born children to gain sympathy to remain here in our immigration courts. Some succeed in remaining here some do not. Their anchor baby is a tool to get access to our welfare coffers by the parents. Are you denying that? Instill fear in people? WTH does that mean?

Just as long as these illegal parents are able to remain here that is their main goal irregardless that they can't be sponsored by their anchors for citizenship until they turn 21.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
Quote:
Like tourist visas?

Student visas?

Temporary work visas?

I would say yes, they are not here for the long run. As much as the children of illegals.
Big difference Illegal vs Legal presence.

Either you are being hypocritical of the 14th amendment.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Like tourist visas?

Student visas?

Temporary work visas?

People on temporary work visas that are sent here by their companies in their home countries can't always stop their lives and not have babies while they are in the USA. Many of them simply return home after their stay is over. If they have a child born in the USA while they are here that child as the option to return as adult. I think that it is a different situation than the anchor babies of the people that stay here illegally on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies