Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,825,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who died and made you mod? If you'd read the totality of my posts about first ladies, you'd see that I generally defend them. And I didn't say anything negative about Laura Bush in this thread. uggabugga the coward had to go to a lot of trouble to find a post where I said something negative about Laura Bush. He had to read all my posts that came up in a search, and go back three years. Is that not a bit, well, obsessive?

It is the truth that no one bashed Laura's literacy programs. No Democrat went out to a school and recommended that people burn their books and start playing video games, handing out hand held games to students. But Sarah Palin went to some school and handed out S'mores, and mocked Michelle Obama's program. Sarah Palin, who looks like she doesn't touch too many S'mores herself, and who runs every day, was mocking healthy eating and exercise.
I don't know uggabugga and couldn't comment on his or her reasons for digging up that post. I just found it hypocritical that you pointed to Laura Bush and claimed no one ever said a bad thing about her. Not so.

And who cares if Sarah Palin makes fun of Michelle Obama's programs? Does anyone find her the least bit relevant? I know I don't, so what she says or does has no impact or effect on my opinions. Since Michelle is in the public eye, she can expect to have people voice their opinions on everything she says, does, doesn't do or wears. It's always been that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't know uggabugga and couldn't comment on his or her reasons for digging up that post. I just found it hypocritical that you pointed to Laura Bush and claimed no one ever said a bad thing about her. Not so.

And who cares if Sarah Palin makes fun of Michelle Obama's programs? Does anyone find her the least bit relevant? I know I don't, so what she says or does has no impact or effect on my opinions. Since Michelle is in the public eye, she can expect to have people voice their opinions on everything she says, does, doesn't do or wears. It's always been that way.
He dredged up some old thread, thus derailing this thread. Just look at this discussion. Apparently a lot of people find SP relevant. She's going to be the keynote speaker at some conservative convention, and a few years ago when she was out mocking Michelle Obama many Republicans thought her relevant enough to consider her for the presidency.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd be more inclined to believe it if some data was provided by HHS or CDC.
Anyone can say their program worked but shouldn't they have to prove it ?
I big fat guy in my office was saying his big fat kids were whining about being hungry after their school lunch so in my book the program must be working.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
You're right. I apologize for being off topic. I just get irritated sometimes with the hypocrisy around here.

And while Michelle Obama did not "solve" the obesity epidemic, she is not wrong that kids need to learn healthy habits. I agree that the WH making the claim that she solved the crisis is disingenuous, but isn't that pretty much what all politicians do?
Sure, that's exactly what they do.
But do you always believe what they say and take them at their word ?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I disagree with bashing either First Lady. They are doing their best to not only function in a difficult position, but find a way to do something positive at the same time. How does it make it right to bash Laura Bush in a thread just because others are bashing Michelle Obama? IMO, your response was just as unfair and unkind as the ones about Michelle.
Pointing out "white lies" announced by the White House is not "bashing Michelle Obama".
I, for one, am not gullible enough to take politicians on their word and their word alone.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,363,622 times
If they find the lunches inadequate, the kids at the school where I work reinforce their government mandated school lunch with a couple of chicken sandwiches, a bowl of buttered noodles, a plate of nachos, slices of pizza, etc. from one of our a la carte stations. The key word is "buy" - it is not free, reduced or government supported - they have to pay cash for it. The main line lunch fulfills all of the government dietary requirements and restrictions, but the kids with cash (and there are a lot - some with $10 or more a day to spend) can get whatever they want. We do offer a lot of homemade options on the a la carte, like taco bar, salad bar, meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, homemade soups and chilis, etc., for the kids/teachers who don't want the cookie-cutter government approved lunch, but these are also cash only.

Edit: On a side note, not many of the kids I've seen eating like this are overweight. Many are jocks, but I've seen some skinny girls loaded down with enough food to feed a third world country.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,825,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure, that's exactly what they do.
But do you always believe what they say and take them at their word ?
No, I never take them at their word. But, when I get up in arms about a politician spinning the truth, it's about something important than the topic of this thread.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,411 times
Quote:
You know, there are always a plethora of posts about "if a Republican did this. . ", "if a Democrat did that. . . ", most of which I discount as nonsense b/c no one has a crystal ball. HOWEVER, did the Dems mock Laura Bush's literacy efforts (and Barbara's before her)? Barbara Bush is pre-CD, but I sure as hell never saw any posts from anyone making fun of Laura. Did Sarah Palin have mock Laura and encourage kids to drop out of school, like she encouraged them to eat cookies in her mockery of Michelle?

I cannot think of a more innocuous program, politically, than childhood obesity. I don't get it. Nor do I get these references to Michelle herself as "fat". I should look so good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
LOL, guess you don't read you own posts as you type them.
+1 ugga

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
No, I never take them at their word. But, when I get up in arms about a politician spinning the truth, it's about something important than the topic of this thread.
Who is "up in arms" ?

Pointing out that the WH is misleading the public with taking credit for something that happened before the program even went into effect is not important to you ?

It's the little things that add up to big things. The more the public ignores the more the public will be fed.
Propaganda is propaganda.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:18 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,790,808 times
Quote:
Many Republicans thought her relevant enough to consider her for the presidency.
Just another reason why the republicans are imploding. And please don't try to refudiate my comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies