Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,834,363 times

Advertisements

I have sensed bipartisan support the the notion of bringing ALL the troops home. It seems when we have reached the point of eating the seed corn here at home, and we refuse to raise taxes, foreign wars are now ridiculous.

If we brought everyone home from Afghanistan and Irag this month, and released all guardsmen,etc. ASAP, and fired all the defense contractors, what would that do for the deficit?

Would that be enough to balance the budget? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,909,678 times
Will we also stop bombing Libya, Yemen and Somalia ? These three are unsanctioned and unfunded.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM

4,302 posts, read 4,436,667 times
Well, I am for bringing troops home, but there are some very big problems that we would have to deal with. Not only will defense contractors (like me) be out of jobs, but so will nearly half of this present standing military (it has been this big due to meeting the needs of the empire). That will NOT help our economy and it's a big reason why neither party will ever do it (it's an election killer). It will save us money (big time) and help with paying our debt - but this alone cannot do it. We need to bring our jobs back to this country and not allow our business to be outsourced so that these people (me included) could find jobs.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,647,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I have sensed bipartisan support the the notion of bringing ALL the troops home. It seems when we have reached the point of eating the seed corn here at home, and we refuse to raise taxes, foreign wars are now ridiculous.

If we brought everyone home from Afghanistan and Irag this month, and released all guardsmen,etc. ASAP, and fired all the defense contractors, what would that do for the deficit?

Would that be enough to balance the budget? Just curious.
We could just stop all defense spending and we wouldn't have enough.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,965,261 times
Military-industrial complex is a monster we've created and used to build and empire, now we will have to face it one day in a fight for survival... might as well do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We could just stop all defense spending and we wouldn't have enough.
Radical idea.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 07-18-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,909,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Well, I am for bringing troops home, but there are some very big problems that we would have to deal with. Not only will defense contractors (like me) be out of jobs, but so will nearly half of this present standing military (it has been this big due to meeting the needs of the empire). That will NOT help our economy and it's a big reason why neither party will ever do it (it's an election killer). It will save us money (big time) and help with paying our debt - but this alone cannot do it. We need to bring our jobs back to this country and not allow our business to be outsourced so that these people (me included) could find jobs.
Good point from the other side of the coin.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM

645 posts, read 1,970,595 times
I agree with the op 100%. The wars will end at some point and the DOD will have to be reduced. Why not start now? We've been in Afghanistan almost 11 years. It's not like anything is going to change over the next few years

Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,834,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Will we also stop bombing Libya, Yemen and Somalia ? These three are unsanctioned and unfunded.
Sure. Pull the plug!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM

910 posts, read 1,684,447 times
End the wars and the majority if not all of the foreign aid.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,901,932 times
Having been at a base that was closed in Iraq, and having gone through Ali Al Salem a few times, I laugh at the one month needed. Don't forget the 1000's if not 100,000 contractors that are still there.

http://www.stevewiggin.com/Images/Photo%20Album/Ali-al-salem.jpg (broken link)
Hate this place so much. Not my picture. Still, it's a good shot of what Hell looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies