Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,036,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good luck with that suit. It sounds like it is based on hearsay; it will probably be thrown out.

My neighbor, who owns a few meat packing plants, had to lay off workers with the Obamacare rules. He laid off mostly those who had cars with Obama bumper stickers.

I see nothing wrong with that, as decisions in life have consequences. If one is supporting a politician who undermines the ability of an employer to keep them employed, why not lay them off? It would make no sense at all to lay off someone who knew better and voted for Romney. In effect, you would be selecting the more intelligent workers by keeping the Romney voters and laying off the Obama voters- it is as good as an IQ test!

Hawkeye. I have to disagree, because as I said it is only growing the welfare state in which we're all as taxpayers paying for. Now make no mistake, I did not support Obama, nor did I vote for him. But politics aside, if I'm a business owner, I don't care who they voted for, so long as they're a productive employee, and can do the task at hand. That is first and foremost IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,261,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
If someone asks me who I voted for I always reply, "blue", then "space shuttle", "crab cakes". Eventually they get the idea.
Blue is probably not a good choice for that question.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,779,372 times
As someone stated earlier, political party affiliation is not a protected class. Thus legally it is not discrimination.

My guess is that, if required by the state, the employer had documented a valid reason for firing her. She was hired as a temp employee and had been on the job for less than a year. Those are normally the first to go when cuts have to be made.

It would be foolish to fire someone based solely on who they voted for, especially if that person is a good employee. If the company president did indeed make statements to the effect that he would fire Obama supporters as retribution, he needs to be joining her in the unemployment line. Those sort of statements sound good on talk radio, but open the company up to lawsuits like this. Even if it gets tossed out, they will have to employ counsel to defend them until then.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,501,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
My boss told a similar story. Now bear with me, because I've heard this 2nd hand, so don't shoot the messenger. He told about a business owner who said that if Obama won the election, he would have to make serious cuts. Allegedly the guy cared about his employees, and didn't want to make that hard decision of having to lay numerous people off. So, in walking through the company's parking lot, he saw about 60 cars with Obama stickers on them, and those were the choices that he made.

It was hinted here as well. At any rate, while I understand and don't agree with Obama's policies, laying people off because of for who they voted for, is kind of a d*** move. I voiced my opinion to my boss, and said that this will only further grow the welfare state, because guess who is paying for it? Us the taxpayers. My boss's response was that he'd rather pay for that than employ stupidity.

As for discrimination... that would be hard to prove.
Good post and interesting. I understand what your saying even if coming 2nd handed.

Who someone votes for in no way, should be reason enough, to fire that person. No matter if Romeny won or it being Obama, it is not right.

Now if he were going to be laying off a bunch of people anyways, i can understand his point of view in letting those who voted for Obama, gone. I still do not think this is right, but not my call to make.

And boy you ain't kidding, when you say growing the welfare State, can you Obama, his name is on Welfare.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,184,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
How does her boss know whom she voted for.

I don't like Obama think he is a terrible bully President, terrible business practices.

Awful economy, no hope what change!

However that being said, your boss in no way, should fire you for your choice in who you vote for. That is plain wrong.

It is still within all of our rights, to vote our choice, not whom others wish you to vote for. Happens quite a lot with some you know.

And isn't this discrimination of some sort.
Well, it probably is discrimination of some sort, but it's legal. Nothing is illegal for terminating an at will employee for voting for someone you don't like. Sex, religion, race, etc, she would have a case, vote for Obama?? Not covered.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,182,108 times
You people are nuts. I am betting 100% that if ANY of you were fired for who you voted for, you'd raise holy hell. God, you're all so full of it & self-righteous until it happens to you.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM

602 posts, read 576,356 times
I would say I hope she learned her lesson but she voted for Obama to have a 2nd term, so....she obviously doesn't pick up on things very quickly.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,269,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
How do employers know who you voted for? I thought the election process was secret? If my employer demanded to know who I voted for I would sure tell them none of your business. Work is work, private life is private life.
Read the first link in the OP of how the employer in that case found out.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,388,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Well, it probably is discrimination of some sort, but it's legal. Nothing is illegal for terminating an at will employee for voting for someone you don't like. Sex, religion, race, etc, she would have a case, vote for Obama?? Not covered.
Correct. It could back to haunt the employer if she was able to file for unemployment. It would be interesting to find out how the employer find out. One shouldn't be fired for their activities outside of the workplace unless they defame the employer.

My step-son has an Obama sticker on his pickup. He really hasn't seen the effects of the recession.

Last edited by BJW50; 02-20-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,767,985 times
Elections have consequences. Isn't that what the libs keep telling us? Well, then....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies