Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Put the pipe down.

Did your parents know everything friggin thing you did growing up? If they did, you must have been locked up in a closet until they released you.
Yes.

My parents knew everything I did when growing up.

Because it was about respect. I knew my place as a child and I didn't go sneaking out to do heroin with druggies.

If you had a different background, that's your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Yes, it is.

You have implied a causal relationship.

You have not shown that their is a causal relationship.
I have implied NOTHING.

You INFER something from my comment. But i have not implied anything.

Go back and read it again.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
The opinion of a teacher who has taught the extreme of both sides of the wealth continuum - their parents tend to give them oodles of things but very little time. Children need time more than they need things.

And yes, they tend to have similar problems to their impoverished classmates, the difference is that they have people who throw money at the messes they make.

IN EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS, THE RICH RESEMBLE THE POOR - NYTimes.com

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I have implied NOTHING.

You INFER something from my comment. But i have not implied anything.

Go back and read it again.
I have, read it again and you most certainly have implied.

There are adjectives (rich, self-absorbed) that modify the subject of the sentence in the subject of the thread.

If I were to say: When black dogs have puppies...why is this the result? Would you think anything other than that I was speaking specifically about black dogs?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 AM

Thanks Oldhag for your link.

This from the article link you posted above hits home.

Quote:
''A major task when children of the wealthy come into therapy is to learn why work and other people are important, when you don't need either,'' Dr. Meeks said . ''They often don't understand that doing something productive is for a person's own emotional well being.''

Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I have, read it again and you most certainly have implied.

There are adjectives (rich, self-absorbed) that modify the subject of the sentence in the subject of the thread.

If I were to say: When black dogs have puppies...why is this the result? Would you think anything other than that I was speaking specifically about black dogs?
If you want to debate me about semantics and the English language you are welcome to do so....

However, I outlined the premise of this thread in post #1, and you have completely missed the point, instead you choose to talk about adjectives, citing sources, and my intention.

feel free to search my posting history to know where i stand on issues.

just a message board here, we all have opinions.

share your ideas. don't be ridiculous. o.k.?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
If you want to debate me about semantics and the English language you are welcome to do so....

However, I outlined the premise of this thread and you have completely missed the point, instead you choose to talk about adjectives, and my intention.

take it easy .. ok?

it's not that important, just a message board.

share your ideas. don't be ridiculous. o.k.?
It is an important distinction.

Your OP implies that the children of celebrities or the rich die from 'drugging' at a different rate than any other children. If that is TRUE then the reasons for and solution to the problem is likely different than the solution to the problem of other children dying of 'drugging'

If that is UNTRUE then the reasons for and the solution to the problem is likely the same as those for other children.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
It is an important distinction.

Your OP implies that the children of celebrities or the rich die from 'drugging' at a different rate than any other children. If that is TRUE then the reasons for and solution to the problem is likely different than the solution to the problem of other children dying of 'drugging'

If that is UNTRUE then the reasons for and the solution to the problem is likely the same as those for other children.
Where in post #1 did you read that I posted about children of celebs dying at a different RATE from the General Public or "any other children"?

If you want to start a thread about that subject... the forum is open.

The Mercedes is waiting for you to claim it....

Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Where in post #1 did i type anything about them dying at a different RATE from the General Public "any other children".
Sigh...

Ahem...

You clearly singled out or emphasized the children of "Rich Self Absorbed" parents and "CELEB" parents? Yes? Why?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM

593 posts, read 1,412,156 times
As a former friend of one of these types of people, I'll say it's a combination of things:
1) Too much money
2) too much free time on their hands
3) never having to understand the intricacies of why something can't be done, because with money anything's possible,
4) Being young and thinking you will live forever
5) relationships to another person are tied to money in many respects which leaves one feeling a bit lost in life, when you can't relate to a person without money being involved, that messes with your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies