Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM

38,839 posts, read 22,704,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not all of it. JPMorgan Chase reaps millions (if not billions) to administer the EBT program for the government.
They would love to run 0bama's carbon cap and trade program for the same reasons too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,269,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Speaking of ''tripe'', are you an expert on poor folks now? How do you know what they can and can't afford?

And BTW, how come you were never this ''vocal'' when it was Wall Street being bailed out with taxpayer money?
Yeah, by virtue of being an observant citizen, paying attention to where I am and who I am surrounded by, what those people are doing, and what their behaviors are, that does in fact make me "an expert of poor folks now."

Many people on this forum have made statements like "I don't stand around staring at what people are buying!"

Well, guess what? I do. And i'm here to tell you "poor people" are among the worst at making poor decisions when it comes to spending money.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM

38,839 posts, read 22,704,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah, by virtue of being an observant citizen, paying attention to where I am and who I am surrounded by, what those people are doing, and what their behaviors are, that does in fact make me "an expert of poor folks now."

Many people on this forum have made statements like "I don't stand around staring at what people are buying!"

Well, guess what? I do. And i'm here to tell you "poor people" are among the worst at making poor decisions when it comes to spending money.
Don't you mean the best at making poor decisions?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,563,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, the government threatens me with imprisonment if I don't fund your sorry services and benefits.
Sorry chap, I may not be 1%, but my household is technically 5%, so I don't use "sorry services" and I pay PLENTY of taxes.

I don't like seeing waste, but I have enough class and self-realization concerning my place in the world to spend all day whining about what are really decades-low taxes.

I am also a fan of meritocracy, so it is important to me that people have REAL access and a chance to succeed. Already the United States is no longer the most economically mobile society in the civilized world. I want to live in a society that DOESN'T resemble South America... perhaps you should visit some places around the world sometime, you might learn yourself something.

And if not? Hey, there are plenty of Islands and third world hovels you can move to, wall yourself up in a gated compound to protect yourself from the sorry sea of humanity outside your walls.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,065,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
No, the government threatens me with imprisonment if I don't fund your sorry services and benefits.
If you’re frustrated that you have to pay for services that others use, well, democracy means that you can’t always get what you want.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,340,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I am sure this will double with all the new illegals Obama wants to make citizens.

Democrats must be applauding themselves. Tax the rich & high income earners more to support more takers & non citizens.
I am sure this thread is choke full of that conservative concern for their fellow Americans, who conservatives consider mooches, takers, welfare cheats who are cheating the system.

Yeah conservatives don't hate millions upon millions of their fellow citizens. Oh no. They just hate the idea of giving them food stamps so they can buy food. That really upsets those patriotic America loving conservatives.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 85,027,307 times
Don't forget that the rules were changed for SNAP eligibility which now allow more people to qualify.
Record numbers are applying because the eligibility requirements were widened and some other requirements were removed or laxed.

Used to be you had to have a job to get food stamps but not anymore is one example.
They also changed something to do with your assets that they don't count anymore as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,065,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't forget that the rules were changed for SNAP eligibility which now allow more people to qualify.
Record numbers are applying because the eligibility requirements were widened and some other requirements were removed or laxed.

Used to be you had to have a job to get food stamps but not anymore is one example.
They also changed something to do with your assets that they don't count anymore as well.
And Bush changed the rules so disaster victims qualify.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 85,027,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
And Bush changed the rules so disaster victims qualify.
So how can anyone make valid comparisons to prior years if the rules get changed along the way ?
You are not comparing apples to apples anymore.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 AM

89,900 posts, read 45,672,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sorry chap, I may not be 1%, but my household is technically 5%, so I don't use "sorry services" and I pay PLENTY of taxes.
There's a HUGE drop in the effective federal income tax rate at the 5% level. The top 1% pay an average effective federal income tax rate of 23.39%, the top 5-10% ($161,000 to $116,000 incomes) pay about HALF that rate at 11.98%
Latest Federal Income Tax Data
Quote:
I am also a fan of meritocracy, so it is important to me that people have REAL access and a chance to succeed.
They do. My spouse and I started with nothing, lived in a real hellhole at first, and worked our way up. So spare me the sanctimonious whining. If we can do it, so can others.

In fact, The Millionaire Next Door discusses the FACT that the overwhelming majority of millionaires worked and earned their way up to that level.
The Millionaire Next Door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies