Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,682,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You are? Who says? I don't see it in the US constitution anywhere. I'd say the USA is a regulated "Free enterprise system" much like that of the rest of the developed world. I'd say that your country is a "Constitutional republic" and that is what you are supposed to be. There are many countries in this world that are Capitalistic that you would not like to be. Mexico for instance.

My idea of a good Capitalistic system is this. You can do whatever you want with your own property as long as it conforms to the laws of the country. If your enterprise does not benefit the citizens of the country in some way or another or if your enterprise actually brings great harm to the country we reserve the right to shut you down. In Canada if the people feel that a publiclly owned enterprise can serve the people better than a private enterprise then we create one. It's still free enterprise only the people own the enterprise. Most of our utilities are public corporations.
Our mantra

Its just your idea, but capitalism is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,741,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I am sure this will double with all the new illegals Obama wants to make citizens.

Democrats must be applauding themselves. Tax the rich & high income earners more to support more takers & non citizens.
How much are we spending with our military in third world, backward countries thousands of miles away?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If you are thinking of Romney's parents, they received welfare not food stamps
No, I don't know Romney's parents. I said the only person I know who is on food stamps voted for Romney.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
Default American agriculture is smiling

American agriculture is smiling all the way to the bank. They are the ultimate recipients of the Food stamp money. Feeding people is just a means of passing government money to agribusiness. Agribusiness would just as soon take the money without the annoyance of having to grow anything.

All of you food stamp critics must be antibusiness and against the American Way of Government Subsidized Capitalism.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,601,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Our mantra

Its just your idea, but capitalism is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.
What a complete load of crap. On June 30th 1906 the US economy became a "Regulated free market system" It was on that date that the government finally realized that unregulated Capitalists could NOT be trusted not to package all kinds of poisons, diseases and anything else they could make a buck on a call it FOOD. AS much as I distrust the government and that is a lot I distrust big business 100 times more.

You must be living in some kind of lala land if you believe that your definition of "Capitalism" bears ANY resembalance to the status quo in the USA. Your definition should be, Capitalism is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry is controlled by owners for profit, benefitting it's employees and customers, adhearing to the laws of the land, causing the minimal of damage to the environment as set out by law, protecting the lives and health of all stakeholders as set out by law. Peoducing a product or service that is lawful in it's use and application.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,809,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So "food stamps" are a means tested program. You have to be poor enough to QUALIFY. So you're mad that people that don't make enough to not qualify for "food stamps" because...
People aspire to what they are required. If people are required to do nothing more than wake in the morning, eat during the day, and sleep at night... they will do just that.

I am required to pay the bills for my "middle class" lifestyle, so I get up and work (sometimes 15 hours a day) to remain in the "middle class".

Did you know that if played correctly, a family of four can milk the nanny state for more than $22,000 a year, and all they have to do is remain poor.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM

945 posts, read 970,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Yeah how dare people who can't afford food eat, they should all starve right ? Your a truly compassionate human being And if your going to complain about people on food stamps why not complain about the trillions this country funnels into the pockets of big corporations and defense contractors ? But that's right kill the poor, starve the poor that's alright but wowww is me if anyone deprives the rich of another 2 million though right ?
Except the poorest people in this country are the most overweight. Which means they need to consume less food and/or exercise/work more.

Corporations (big, medium and small) fueled and created the greatest economic superpower in human history.

It is easy to be compassionate with other peoples' money, the most charitable people tend to actually denounce and despise excessive entitlements.

Another dopey, short-sighted post.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,809,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
American agriculture is smiling all the way to the bank. They are the ultimate recipients of the Food stamp money. Feeding people is just a means of passing government money to agribusiness. Agribusiness would just as soon take the money without the annoyance of having to grow anything.

All of you food stamp critics must be antibusiness and against the American Way of Government Subsidized Capitalism.

I am totally against crony capitalism! Politicians in bed with corporations and colluding to enrich for votes. The entire political system has become a gutter of backroom dealing, and under-the-table promises.

EXP: President Obama tells Medvedev ‘After My Election I Have More Flexibility’

I'm a critic of molding America into a land of children relying on mommy government to feed them. At some point there will be more people riding in the cart, than pulling it. That's when the sh^% is going to hit the fan. I'm guessing 4-8 years.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,601,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Except the poorest people in this country are the most overweight. Which means they need to consume less food and/or exercise/work more.

Corporations (big, medium and small) fueled and created the greatest economic superpower in human history.

It is easy to be compassionate with other peoples' money, the most charitable people tend to actually denounce and despise excessive entitlements.

Do you know why the poor in America are fat? It's because the food they can afford to eat is complete high calorie full of freakin high fructose corn syrup. That and super high calorie freakin GM vegetable oil.

If you bought all your food at Macdonalds off the value menu you could consume thousands of calories a day for less than $10.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,447,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post

Perhaps they are overweight because much of the healthier food options are much more expensive, have you been to the store lately and seen what a few tomatoes cost? How about fruit ? All these things cost a lot, as well as "real" juice and not the welch's garbage that gets peddled. Also it is possible to be poor and work 2 jobs just to survive what with many of these very "patriotic" companies saying they are going to slash hours because they are too cheap to provide healthcare to there workers. Stop being so short sided and greedy the money going to them is my money as well and not everyone can be as cheap and heartless as yourself. I'd rather my money go to those on welfare/food stamps if that is going to help someone rather than going to some lazy entitled millionaire who inherited his/her money. Talk about dopey when are you going to sign up to protect blankfein ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies