Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,195,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
In 1994 I was attending college full-time and also working part-time at a store. I was surrounded by thousands of people each day. I was CONSTANTLY sick with the flu! I literally was sick for three months in a row during that very cold winter of 17 snowstorms in Jan-Feb.1994. It was absolutely miserable. I was weak and felt sick for months afterward. I'm just really susceptible to the flu, I guess.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't catch the flu multiple times in a three month time period. Once you catch it that season, you're immune until another strain comes around the following season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,885,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Vitamin D, the lack thereof is why the flu season is in winter, when most of us aren't exposed to the sun enough.
Why then are there flu epidemics in southern states?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,591,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
In 1994 I was attending college full-time and also working part-time at a store. I was surrounded by thousands of people each day. I was CONSTANTLY sick with the flu! I literally was sick for three months in a row during that very cold winter of 17 snowstorms in Jan-Feb.1994. It was absolutely miserable. I was weak and felt sick for months afterward. I'm just really susceptible to the flu, I guess.

The next year I received the flu shot, and have received it every year since then. I haven't had the flu since. Yes, I get an occasional cold or minor virus, but not the flu! When I was still working in retail, I was the only one in my department who got the flu shot, and the ONLY one who did not get the flu.

I get my flu shot for free, so it is well worth it! But even if I had to pay for it, it would be worth it. I hate the flu!

I can't even imagine working in a hospital and not getting a flu shot. Hospitals are breeding grounds for all sorts of illnesses. Many people get sick in hospitals, even just visiting.
Did it ever occur to you to learn how to be healthy? changing your diet or lifestyle to build up your immunity - rather than just getting jabbed? You didn't do anything for your health by injecting a virus.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,936,286 times
Quote:
You are making assumptions. The question is why only 95% got jabbed, leaving some 1300 not getting fired, but 8 did.
Most likely because they did not have a legitimate exemption, unlike the vast majority. Since they are private employees the employer can fire them at will, with a few exceptions, anyways. So what is the controversy?

38,496 posts, read 25,885,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't catch the flu multiple times in a three month time period. Once you catch it that season, you're immune until another strain comes around the following season.
There are many strains of flu in each season.

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Vitamin D, the lack thereof is why the flu season is in winter, when most of us aren't exposed to the sun enough.
That's why flu is prevalent in the tropic year-round!

Flu Season: When is Flu Season? | fluFACTS

Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
All of the hospitals I've visited in the last twelve years have had hand sanitizer and sinks with (gasp!) soap in each room. Since handwashing is a basic preventative measure, it would certainly be easy enough for visitors to wash before contact with patients, just as the health care staff are supposed to do.
Antibacterial soaps are causing more problems, because they kill the good with the bad, making bacteria more resistant and to mutate. This crap ends up in our environment and will be wreaking havik. More good intentions gone haywire.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Why would you assume there is only one strain at at time?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,195,186 times
Quote:
Why would you assume there is only one strain at at time?
This year there are two strains that are most common, Influenza A and Influenza B with a few very rare cases of H1N1. I wouldn't call that "many". It's possible but unlikely for a person to catch the flu more then once during flu season. Out of approximately 9,000 people tested for the flu this season, approximately 2,-3,000 tested positive. I wonder if the poster who said that they "constantly had the flu" really had the flu multiple times (because that is very unlikely) or if they just had a string of bad colds.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM

If the gov't doesn't protect our Constitutional rights, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness - from this type of coercion - what good is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies