Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,481,817 times

Advertisements

Great day for conservatives as this brings them one step closer to the goal of no restriction on guns whatsoever.

The NRA is going to have to move fast, of course, to get their hands on this somehow so that their multi-billion dollar business model doesn't become obsolete.

1st shot from printed gun as 3D technology moves forward | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

and then soon, of course, we'll get conservatives and terrorists folks alike 3D-printing their own missile launchers to take down planes and cop cruisers.

Utopia awaits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,013,877 times
I can't afford to buy a 3D printer. Can you?
But then, I have no use for a plastic gun, either.
the article says it was a .308 round that was fired. If it was, I bet that was the ONLY round fired, I doubt that a plastic barrel could stand the pressures of a .308 rifle round.
seems to me it is right up there with the "Zip-Guns" that have been built by various criminals since the 1940s, probably more dangerous to the shooter than to anybody in front of the shooter! Very likely just as inaccurate, too, with no rifling.
Much ado about not much of anything, at the present level of the technology!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,179,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Great day for conservatives as this brings them one step closer to the goal of no restriction on guns whatsoever.

The NRA is going to have to move fast, of course, to get their hands on this somehow so that their multi-billion dollar business model doesn't become obsolete.

1st shot from printed gun as 3D technology moves forward | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

and then soon, of course, we'll get conservatives and terrorists folks alike 3D-printing their own missile launchers to take down planes and cop cruisers.

Utopia awaits!
I gotta get me one of them printers!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,059,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yup. Gonna have one soon.

Although ours is mainly going to be used for costume making.

I was actually looking at various different things you can make with a 3D printer, and it's actually really cool. Really, really cool.

This doesn't surprise me at all that an actual bullet was fired with a 3D printed gun.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,094,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Utopia awaits!
You don't need a $250,000 printer to make a gun.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,059,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You don't need a $250,000 printer to make a gun.
You don't need 250,000 to get a 3D printer.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,015,072 times
i wonder.............

Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,055,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Yup. Gonna have one soon.

Although ours is mainly going to be used for costume making.

I was actually looking at various different things you can make with a 3D printer, and it's actually really cool. Really, really cool.

This doesn't surprise me at all that an actual bullet was fired with a 3D printed gun.
Yep those things are pretty damn awesome.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,782,130 times
I saw a documentary once where they show a man who lived in Afghanistan city. He had a little shop on a busy street with a fire pit, hammer and a little bit of stock steal. This guy could produce a perfectly firing replica AK 47 in half a day. The fact is you cant dis arm Americans with all the laws in the world

I feel the same way about abortion, you cant stop a woman from terminating a pregnancy if you wanted to. Some things just cant be legislated

Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM

39,907 posts, read 26,617,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
But then, I have no use for a plastic gun, either.
the article says it was a .308 round that was fired. If it was, I bet that was the ONLY round fired, I doubt that a plastic barrel could stand the pressures of a .308 rifle round.
seems to me it is right up there with the "Zip-Guns" that have been built by various criminals since the 1940s, probably more dangerous to the shooter than to anybody in front of the shooter! Very likely just as inaccurate, too, with no rifling.
Much ado about not much of anything, at the present level of the technology!
I didn't see anything about a .308. The other video shows a handgun, probably shooting .38 special. Given the somewhat sloppy tolerances of 3D printing, it would be easier to headspace on a rimmed, revolver round than on a rimless auto one like a 9mm. I'm not sure what all the excitement is about. Anyone with a mill-drill machine (which costs less than a 3D printer) has been able to build real guns, not toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies