Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,940,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If you ban RPGs, pretty soon you will be banning bubble gum which also kind of explodes. It's a slippery slope you see ..... if we civilians don't get to carry and use rocket-propelled grenades for self-defense as is our Constitutional right, then pretty soon the govt jackbooted thugs will be stealing bubble gum from little kids!
psst... RPGs are already banned and no sane gun owner is demading a constitutional right to own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,519,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That is where is is and has been for me. I'm not into cosmetic legislation.

But that brings up an interesting point. If you an I both know that a Mini-14 is just as capable as a civilian M4 what's all the panic about have AR's banned? If you and I both now that semi-auto M-14 if vastly more powerful, deadly and at farther distances... where is the panic over only being able to have Springfield National Match? What is it about AR's that burns the money in some folks pockets.

What is it about those purely cosmetic differences that cause folks to run rabid with an M4/AR-15 and its cousins?

What kind of images in the mind of M4/!R-15s is etched in the minds of folks who stand in line paying three times what the guns are worth when there are plenty of better options?

Maybe sometimes it is the gun and not the person?
When I bought my car, I had about five different models all roughly close in price (within a few hundred dollars), with the same features that all did the same thing. My "deciding factor" was the one that looked better to me.

Sometimes, it is all about aesthetics, and banning or restricting something based entirely on form and not function? That's absurd--and that's what the AWBs do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
psst... RPGs are already banned and no sane gun owner is demading a constitutional right to own one.
RPGs constitute "destructive devices" under Federal Law. You can totally and legally own them like any other destructive device--just be prepared to pay for it.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,129,613 times
Speaking of RPG's two were turned in, in LA with the gun buy back.
2 Rocket Launchers Turned In During LAPD Gun Buyback (PHOTOS) - Los Angeles - News - The Informer

Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,233,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That's the point - if you don't need RPGs, then you don't need semiauto rifles OR handguns.

The Founding Fathers were making do with single shot muskets when they wrote about the right to bear arms.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,233,522 times
By the way, someone ought to shut this thread down for being old, inaccurate news.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,512,537 times
Quote:
That's the point - if you don't need RPGs, then you don't need semiauto rifles OR handguns.

The Founding Fathers were making do with single shot muskets when they wrote about the right to bear arms.
Who are you? The need police?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,989,014 times
The shooting occurred on a Friday, and all Friday and the following Saturday the media said there were two handguns involved, and that there was an AR in a parked car. Then on Moday they were all reporting that the weapon used was an AR. How did the story change?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,357,471 times
Quote:
By the way, someone ought to shut this thread down for being old, inaccurate news.
That's right. Some folks just keep trying to mislead, or are extremely delinquent in catching up on the news.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM

691 posts, read 774,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why would that calm down anyone, you can fire off close to 60 rounds with an AR-15 depending on your finger, I am sure that will put peoples minds at ease that semi-auto rifles are no danger. Do you also understand that in fully auto you are limited by the magazine size, what's the point? So if you have 4 magazines of 40 rounds with your AR-15, you can only fire off 160 rounds in around 4 minutes.

There is no "fully auto" mode for an AR-15.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,272,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why would that calm down anyone, you can fire off close to 60 rounds with an AR-15 depending on your finger, I am sure that will put peoples minds at ease that semi-auto rifles are no danger. Do you also understand that in fully auto you are limited by the magazine size, what's the point? So if you have 4 magazines of 40 rounds with your AR-15, you can only fire off 160 rounds in around 4 minutes.

it still looks like someone doesnt know what an assault rifle is. assault rifles are capable of both semi and automatic fire, not just semi-auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies