Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Home prices rose in ninth straight month: S&P | Reuters

Single-family home prices rose in October for nine months in a row, reinforcing the view the domestic real estate market is improving and should bolster the economy in 2013, a closely watched survey showed on Wednesday.

The S&P/Case Shiller composite index of 20 metropolitan areas gained 0.7 percent in October on a seasonally adjusted basis, stronger than the 0.5 percent rise forecast by economists polled by Reuters.
"Looking over this report, and considering other data on housing starts and sales, it is clear that the housing recovery is gathering strength," David Blitzer, chairman of the index committee at Standard & Poor's, said in a statement.

While record low mortgage rates and modest job growth should keep the housing recovery on track, analysts cautioned home prices face downward pressure from a likely pickup in the sales of foreclosed and distressed properties and reduced buying investors and speculators.

Prices in the 20 cities rose 4.3 percent year over year, beating expectations for a rise of 4.0 percent.
Las Vegas posted the biggest monthly rise on a seasonally adjusted basis at 2.4 percent, followed by a 1.7 percent increase in San Diego, the latest Case-Shiller data showed

Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM

768 posts, read 880,117 times
Alternatively, the dollar lost purchasing power for 9 months...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 AM

The good thing about recovering housing market is the fact that it drives so many other sectors.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Alternatively, the dollar lost purchasing power for 9 months...
As it does ALWAYS.
So What?
How is that different from any other 9 month period in the last 100 years?

Ken

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Home prices rose in ninth straight month: S&P | Reuters

Single-family home prices rose in October for nine months in a row, reinforcing the view the domestic real estate market is improving and should bolster the economy in 2013, a closely watched survey showed on Wednesday.

The S&P/Case Shiller composite index of 20 metropolitan areas gained 0.7 percent in October on a seasonally adjusted basis, stronger than the 0.5 percent rise forecast by economists polled by Reuters.
"Looking over this report, and considering other data on housing starts and sales, it is clear that the housing recovery is gathering strength," David Blitzer, chairman of the index committee at Standard & Poor's, said in a statement.

While record low mortgage rates and modest job growth should keep the housing recovery on track, analysts cautioned home prices face downward pressure from a likely pickup in the sales of foreclosed and distressed properties and reduced buying investors and speculators.

Prices in the 20 cities rose 4.3 percent year over year, beating expectations for a rise of 4.0 percent.
Las Vegas posted the biggest monthly rise on a seasonally adjusted basis at 2.4 percent, followed by a 1.7 percent increase in San Diego, the latest Case-Shiller data showed
Yup.
The housing market is roaring back in much of the country. Here in Seattle buyers are so desperate to find available homes that we were approached with a decent offer when we didn't even have our house listed for sale - so, if all goes as planned, we're off to Arizona.

Ken

Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 AM

768 posts, read 880,117 times
Quote:
The good thing about recovering housing market is the fact that it drives so many other sectors.
Drives them into the ground.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
My house is still worth half of what I paid for it in 1995. Yes, the value has come up but it is still not worth what I paid for it. At one point, it was worth half again what I paid for it. Now I'll be lucky to ever sell it for what I paid for it. Major loss here.

On the bright side, my brother and his wife just built a new house and prices went up so fast that it was worth $70K more than they paid for it the day they moved in. New constructions are gaining but we're not seeing the gains in existing homes. Too many of us are stuck in upside down mortgages.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My house is still worth half of what I paid for it in 1995. Yes, the value has come up but it is still not worth what I paid for it. At one point, it was worth half again what I paid for it. Now I'll be lucky to ever sell it for what I paid for it. Major loss here.

On the bright side, my brother and his wife just built a new house and prices went up so fast that it was worth $70K more than they paid for it the day they moved in. New constructions are gaining but we're not seeing the gains in existing homes. Too many of us are stuck in upside down mortgages.
Where the heck do you live where home prices are "half of what they were in 1995"?

Your neighborhood must REALLY have gone downhill. Did you find out your house was built on a toxic waste dump or something?

Ken

Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
The housing market is roaring back in much of the country. Here in Seattle buyers are so desperate to find available homes that we were approached with a decent offer when we didn't even have our house listed for sale - so, if all goes as planned, we're off to Arizona.

Ken
Same here. It is becoming hard to find bargins down here in FL.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Drives them into the ground.
No, when people buy homes, they also buy appliances, furniture, electronics, tools, garden equipment, home renovation services etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.