Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,942,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, we can pick the other candidate chosen for us by big corporations.
Lol....dude...leave it alone.. you already won. He doesn't even realize he is arguing for willingly voting for Corporatism or advocating a government that has done nothing but lie to him for the last 150 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM

38,785 posts, read 26,598,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
----------
A quote from president Thomas Jefferson...

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."
-------

The NRA needs to admit that assault weapons have no place in today's society. The constitution can be modified to adapt to changes in society. Do these nuts really believe that they would stand a chance if the "Govmint comes to take arr gunz!" -- and yeah, do not deny that people do think this way. They think that their guns are the only protection against a total tyranny and government takeover.

The government has drones, tanks, nuclear bombs... Give it up. Your AR-15 has a better chance of killing our kids than saving you from the government. The cons clearly outweigh the pros here.

Talk about missing the point!

Military style weapons in the hands of the people are not to enable them to defeat the military.

They are to make governing by a dictator against the will of the people practically impossible.

"In a nation governed by the people themselves, the possession of arms to defend their nation against usurpers within and without was deemed absolutely necessary. This right was protected by the 2nd Amendment."

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by momonkey; 12-19-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,436,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's just stupid.
That is not any more stupid than the words of this CNN anchor man.

Piers Morgan Blows Up on Larry Pratt Over Gun Rights

Notice that he uses the same main word, stupid, as you do.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM

31,312 posts, read 20,882,192 times
Quote:
The NRA needs to admit that assault weapons have no place in today's society. .
What is an "assault weapon?"

Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 PM

4,535 posts, read 4,961,202 times
This must be the reason why Texas has done away with TJ in their school curriculum:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/ed...xas.html?_r=1&

Quote:
Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,165,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That is not any more stupid than the words of this CNN anchor man.

Piers Morgan Blows Up on Larry Pratt Over Gun Rights

Notice that he uses the same main word, stupid, as you do.
Stupid is a very useful word in this debate. Expect to see more of it.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Talk about missing the point!

Military style weapons in the hands of the people are not to enable them to defeat the military.

They are to make governing by a dictator against the will of the people practically impossible.

"In a nation governed by the people themselves, the possession of arms to defend their nation against usurpers within and without was deemed absolutely necessary. This right was protected by the 2nd Amendment."

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

- Thomas Jefferson
Yes, you make a fair point. Govt can be legalized version of theft in many cases, I agree. But you're missing my point. Assault weapons will do you no good if the country were to ever fall into the hands of a dictator. And let's be honest with ourselves, no matter what Alex Jones says, that scenario will never happen. Now to my point, the cons of having millions of assault weapons in circulation is thousands of families destroyed every year, massacres in movie theatres, malls, and our schools, outweighs by a mile any benefit to having these guns in circulation today. It's only a matter of time before this happens again--everyone knows it. Like I said on page 2, any gun that allows the average shot to outgun the majority of cops should be illegal. I'm not advocating getting rid of all guns, nor do I think the public in general wants that. Guns will always be a part of society. Heck, I even advocated arming our teachers (reluctantly, but to deal with this obvious major threat to schools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What is an "assault weapon?"
How about you read past page 1 to find out?

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-20-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

""The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.""" James Madison, father of the constitution

the 2nd amendment is very specific...the RIGHT of the PEOPLE shall not be INFRINGED

""""That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and their own state, or the United States, or for the purpose of killing game; and no law shall be passed for disarming the people or any of them, unless for crimes committed, or real danger of public injury from individuals; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up: and that the military shall be kept under strict subordination to and be governed by the civil powers."""-- James Madison

the 2nd amendment is very specific...the RIGHT of the PEOPLE shall not be INFRINGED
That's great and all...so who gets to decide what arms should be legal or illegal? If I own a 155mm field Howitzer , is that OK with most people? A bazooka? A full auto tec 9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
If you believe the people have the right to bear arms, for protection from the state....then you have to keep it on equal footing as the state.....

I'll give up my AK when they give up theirs. And their M4/AR-15's and Saws and etc etc etc
Will you give up your tank as well with the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
post 16 is factually incorrect.

Care to try again?
Alright, what part is factually incorrect?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 AM

1,137 posts, read 977,135 times
Quote:

Alright, what part is factually incorrect?
This part:

Any gun that allows an average shot to overpower more than 50% of cops on the street is an assault weapon. Any gun designed to destroy a large number of targets as efficiently as possible, is an assault weapon.

I have yet to find a single person who claims that "assault rifles" should be banned who can accurately define one.

True assault rifles, (with the capabilities to fire in both full and semi auto) are already covered under the National Firearms Act.

All of this lunacy is based upon the idea that if a gun looks scary, it must be evil and was only designed to kill children, so all of them should be banned.

These decisions are being made by people who have zero knowledge of the topic at hand, and instead are being fed by emotion.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM

33,070 posts, read 19,712,770 times
Quote:
That's great and all...so who gets to decide what arms should be legal or illegal? If I own a 155mm field Howitzer , is that OK with most people? A bazooka? A full auto tec 9?

?
and what if you did own a M198 (155mm howitzer)....do you have the ammo...probably a long shot,,,,do you even have the BACK(strength) to load the round w/detonator into the breach, and the bags of powder to launch the projectile........probably not

so why would I care if you had a cannon that you most likely couldnt use, or at best would get one shot off

here is a question....a what if....(yes I understand IF's)

what if the GOVERNMENT turned bad.......

what if the government decided to send groups of people to the furnaces......

and you gave up all your guns years ago......

then what.......

""""to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them """"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies