Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM

479 posts, read 660,813 times

Advertisements

A friend recently sent this to me.

John Kennedy once said to a assembled group of scholars in the White House "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered at the White House - with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

The quotes below could prove his point.

His words have come to pass.................

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Very Interesting Quote:
In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,542 times
Interesting guy, that Thomas Jefferson. I always had a soft spot for the man, bless him

I've thought a lot about him, and wondered what he'd say about the U.S. today. The trouble with the man, is that people on both the right and the left can find stuff about him they agree with. Joseph Ellis wrote a book about Jefferson called "American Sphinx" that description just about sums him up, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
What we see in the USA today is the same thing that brought down other empires..history repeats itself. Why was American founded to being with ?

And yet we have millions crying to the government and turning to them for "help" and "protection".
And we have government creating more government on top of itself and making up or changing rules as they go to justify their actions.

American is no longer "WE" the people

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
A friend recently sent this to me.

John Kennedy once said to a assembled group of scholars in the White House "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered at the White House - with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

The quotes below could prove his point.

His words have come to pass.................

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Very Interesting Quote:
In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

After posting all that you decide banks threaten our way of life?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM

37,183 posts, read 19,186,140 times
Thomas Jefferson spent his afternoons on his veranda cooking blunts and chasing them with a good bottle of French wine.

I wouldn't believe a word he said. He was stoned out of his gourd.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Thomas Jefferson spent his afternoons on his veranda cooking blunts and chasing them with a good bottle of French wine.

I wouldn't believe a word he said. He was stoned out of his gourd.
Yeah he only wrote our Declaration of Independence, what did he say that would be worth hearing?

Jefferson was the smartest person ever to lead this country, we'll likely never see again the day when someone of his intelligence sits in the White House.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Kennedy was a good guy, but hey...

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ."

I guess Jefferson wasn't very gifted at seeing the future because the U.S. could not sustain itself as the agrarian society that Jefferson envisioned. Despite the great expanse of the American continent, it couldn't remain unpopulated for long.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Intersting comment for a slave owner. Of course he was right and Democracy didn't begin to exist until 618,000 Americans lost their lives fighting over its birth.

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

It would have been nice if Reagan and Bush had taken the time to heed those words.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Yet Jefferson presided over the Federalisation of the American republic.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

I take that as a throw away.

Anyway, Jefferson was but one of the leaders of the emerging nation, one whose views were totally absent during the framing of the Constitution. While the concepts of Jeffersonian democracy are imporatant in shaping the American ethos, so were the divergent vies of Hamilton, Adams and others. It is only through the review of those who crafted the Constitution and those who subsequently shaped its meaning can we derived some understanding of the evolution of American democracy. Throwing up quotes withouut context is not only silly, but it demonstrates a lack of understanding the history of this country.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Kennedy was a good guy, but hey...

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ."

I guess Jefferson wasn't very gifted at seeing the future because the U.S. could not sustain itself as the agrarian society that Jefferson envisioned. Despite the great expanse of the American continent, it couldn't remain unpopulated for long.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Intersting comment for a slave owner. Of course he was right and Democracy didn't begin to exist until 618,000 Americans lost their lives fighting over its birth.

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

It would have been nice if Reagan and Bush had taken the time to heed those words.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Yet Jefferson presided over the Federalisation of the American republic.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

I take that as a throw away.

Anyway, Jefferson was but one of the leaders of the emerging nation, one whose views were totally absent during the framing of the Constitution. While the concepts of Jeffersonian democracy are imporatant in shaping the American ethos, so were the divergent vies of Hamilton, Adams and others. It is only through the review of those who crafted the Constitution and those who subsequently shaped its meaning can we derived some understanding of the evolution of American democracy. Throwing up quotes withouut context is not only silly, but it demonstrates a lack of understanding the history of this country.
ovcatto, could we discuss what this place might look like if Washington had listened to Jefferson during his administration instead of Hamilton? I agree that Hamilton was very important to what came of the experiment. In fact, Washington displayed his acumen for leadership by listening to Hamilton all the time which chapped Jefferson's hindend and not we have people talking about nationalization of our largest banks which will throw away Hamiltonian thinking and go to Jeffersonian.

I think that the reason so many people like Jefferson so much is that he is considered to the the father of the Democrat Party by many although the Democratic-Republicans were far from the present day Democrat Party in nearly every way.

We probably disagree on most things but I have found many posts by you these last few days that makes me think we aren't really so far apart.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
I hope people who are complaining about government overrunning our lives at least accept that many of us have been fearful of government overruning our lives throughout the Bush administration.

So many people act as if liberals want big government and conservatives want small, but the neo-conservatives forced a dangerous amount of government into our households.

If we have to choose one of the other, many of us would rather have government spending on helping the poor and educating our young than on waging wars and profiteering around the globe.

I just say this because the wisdom of Jefferson lay in his ability to see beyond left and right. If we're going to thrive, we need to do the same.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
ovcatto, could we discuss what this place might look like if Washington had listened to Jefferson during his administration instead of Hamilton?
Your question is unfanthomable, Whether Washington listened to Jefferson as opposed to Hamilton isn't of any import. There was nothing done during the Washington administration that was so set in stone that future administrations could not undo, in point of fact Jefferson accomplished a fair amount of undoing during his presidency. As to the heart of the question; I suspect that if Jefferson had his way, the country would look like a slightly modernized version of the antebellum South. Huge tracks of land owned by a small class of plantaion owners. In short and idlyic third world country not an industrial bemoth that the U.S. was to become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies