Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,757 times

Advertisements

Now that Obama has officially backed hypocrite extraordinaire Diane "I have a concealed carry permit" Feinstein's "Assault Weapons" ban, please tell us how this would have prevented last Friday's shooting, or any shooting in the future? Those that are actually aware of how the previous assault weapons ban worked know that it was a total joke. It banned such dangerous items as bayonets and flash suppressors. It did nothing to actually ban semi-automatics, as it had so many exemptions and loop holes that manufactures and importers quickly worked around it. It will be no different this time. Gun show loop hole? What is that preventing? Have there been mass shooting caused by this? Longer waiting period? Does it matter? The shooter was already blocked from buying a gun. His mother would have still qualified, regardless of new regulations. So how will it help? High capacity clip ban? Wow, that will really work. So instead of one clip they'll bring three, because switching clips is soooo difficult. Not to mentions the hundreds of thousands of high capacity clips already on the market. So how is it going to make a difference? Let me guess, we just have "to do something..." just for the sake of doing something, is that not the really motivation?

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 12-19-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Now that Obama has officially backed hypocrite extraordinaire Diane "I have a concealed carry permit" Feinstein's "Assault Weapons" ban, please tell us how this would have prevented last Friday's shooting, or any shooting in the future?
Stupid question. Serious discussions haven't even commenced regarding what any new gun control regulation might look like.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
I think most people agree that the last ban was a joke--it had huge loopholes. We need to have a serious conversation in this country on how put in place legislation on this issue that actually does something.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Now that Obama has officially backed hypocrite extraordinaire Diane "I have a concealed carry permit" Feinstein's "Assault Weapons" ban, please tell us how this would have prevented last Friday's shooting, or any shooting in the future? Those that are actually aware of how the previous assault weapons ban worked know that it was a total joke. It banned such dangerous items as bayonets and flash suppressors. It did nothing to actually ban semi-automatics, as the it had so many exceptions and loop holes that manufactures and importers quickly worked around it. It will be no different this time. Gun show loop hole? What is that preventing? Have there been mass shooting caused by this? Longer waiting period? Does it matter? The shooter was already blocked from buying a gun. His mother would have still qualified, regardless of new regulations. So how will it help? High capacity clip ban? Wow, that will really work. So instead of one clip they'll bring three, because switching clips is soooo difficult. Not to mentions the hundreds of thousands of high capacity clips already on the market. So how is it going to make a difference? Let me guess, we just have "to do something..." just for the sake of doing something, is that not the really motivation?
Who cares. You gun lovers have convinced me that absolutely NOTHING will be done.

Then we can all have this very same conversation right here on CD after the next mass murder.

Happy now?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM

691 posts, read 771,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Who cares. You gun lovers have convinced me that absolutely NOTHING will be done.

Then we can all have this very same conversation right here on CD after the next mass murder.

Happy now?

These incidents are RARE. That is the only reason why it is a national news story. This is a non-issue and should be a LOCAL police matter. We are not talking about an ebola outbreak that can spread.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Stupid question. Serious discussions haven't even commenced regarding what any new gun control regulation might look like.
No, Diane's bill is already written. Nice way of dodging the question though. You have no answers, just angry misdirected propaganda.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,226 times
Hmm, funny how the liberals can say ban this, ban that all day long but when asked how a ban on something will actually work, I hear crickets!

They know deep down that it wont work.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Something that tends to be missed is how all the talk of gun control could actually facilitate future mass shootings.

The Feinstein Amendment (the so-called 'assault weapon' ban) cannot possibly prevent future shootings because it only requires cosmetic changes to guns, not to mention that existing guns are grandfathered.
But by taking up all the oxygen in the debate, it could stop us from making needed reforms in the area of mental health.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Something that tends to be missed is how all the talk of gun control could actually facilitate future mass shootings.

The Feinstein Amendment (the so-called 'assault weapon' ban) cannot possibly prevent future shootings because it only requires cosmetic changes to guns, not to mention that existing guns are grandfathered.
But by taking up all the oxygen in the debate, it could stop us from making needed reforms in the area of mental health.
This is what infuriates me the most about this. The majority of the gun grabbers actually no nothing about guns, gun laws, or crime. They take few isolated incidents and fly in to a frenzy. What is an assault weapon? As the posts here show, no gun grabber seems to know. Why ban them in the first place? After all, the government's own stats show that they're rarely used in crime. Federal crimes stats show they're used in about 1.6% of gun crimes. So why the so much concern over 100 or so deaths a year from "assault weapons" when 10,000 or more people a year are killed by Saturday night specials? What is actually going to be banned? Based on the old and pending new legislation, probably not much. The other big whopper is the myth of "semi-automatic" weapons. Please, oh knowledgeable gun grabbers, tell me makes a "semi-automatic" so special? Do you know which weapons are actually semi-automatic? For example, please find me some examples of hand guns that aren't semi-automatic. I don't think I've seen a manual advance pistol in a gun shop in the past century. Should the only allowable guns be bolt action rifles and manual **** six shooters?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
These incidents are RARE. That is the only reason why it is a national news story. This is a non-issue and should be a LOCAL police matter. We are not talking about an ebola outbreak that can spread.
I disagree. They seem to be spreading like wildfire. But - so what. No skin off the NRA, right? After all, guns have nothing to do with it.

You win.

We'll talk again after the next gun murder spree. And the next. And the one after that.

How many more innocent children will die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies