Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,821,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Okay, it would appear that this film is a documentary, which is the only category subject to the short list rule, and has been "pre nominated', if you will.

I do apologize, I thought this film was a complete work of fiction, like all the other movies.

It probably is, hence why I never watched it. Might be why it did not get nominated. I think it is on Amazon Prime for free, I'll check it out and let you know what I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM

13,744 posts, read 10,109,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I never said it should have gotten a mention. I have not seen the movie and don't like those sorts of movies. I voted for the President, however I don't think a movie should be snubbed for content.

Every year they release this at the same time and let us know which films are in consideration for Oscar Nomination. Look it up, it's a real thing. You should have read the article in the OP and you would know what you are talking about. Instead you made a snap judgement.

I forgive you. I've put my foot in mouth before as well.

Here are a few links to help you.

Academy Awards 2012 Shortlist

15 documentaries make Oscar shortlist - CBS News

'Bully' ends up on Oscar short list for documentaries - Oklahoma City Bullying | Examiner.com

See above, I already acknowledged that I didn't realize that the movie was a documentary, which is subject to different rules than the other films. It's not the major pictures that are subject to the short list.

Again, I had no idea that it was a DOCUMENTARY. Documentaries, short films and animated films are subject to different rules than the rest of the categories.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
See above, I already acknowledged that I didn't realize that the movie was a documentary, which is subject to different rules than the other films. It's not the major pictures that are subject to the short list.

Again, I had no idea that it was a DOCUMENTARY. Documentaries, short films and animated films are subject to different rules than the rest of the categories.

Yes I saw after posting that, it's cool.

I thought about watching the movie, but since I've not seen the other 15 I could not really judge it.

I would like to see Bully, which might be controversial as well. Do you think some parents believe their kids have some right to Bully? I don't know. Might be some movies worth watching on that list. The Obama one is pretty low, I've already heard all that stuff I think. Nobody has come on here posting a very honest opinion about the film. Just "Hollywood hates the truth" type post.

Anyone care to give an honest assessment?

I am about to sort of watch it as I work on other things.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,670,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I used to love the Oscars, until I took a step back to realize what is actually was; a party thrown by rich, out-of-touch millionaires where they take four hours of TV prime-time to lavish recognition and awards on themselves. It's essentially a "look how awesome we are" party they throw for themselves and put on TV for us to sit through.
I absolutely agree! Why should I set through four hours of watching them congratulate each other. Pass. I might watch the red carpet entrances to see what everyone is wearing but that's it.

I have not seen the movie so can't comment. It was showing up on my 'On Demand" menu so if it's really worthwhile let me know.

Just FYI - I can't make it through Michael Moore's movies so if it's anything like that ~ I'm out.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,703,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Bigoted tripe is generally frowned upon in present day Hollywood.
The truth is.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM

25,884 posts, read 20,830,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The truth is.

"Truth" in this case is pretty subjective.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
The truth is.
That's not really the issue, have you seen all 15 movies on the shortlist and do you think this one is more Oscar worthy?

I am watching this film now and it is rather tame actually, it's clearly an opinion and is mostly presented as such.

The movie does not say he was born in Kenya or anything like that. Basically it is saying he has a 3rd world point of view. Still watching of course. It's a little boring to be honest. The Obama Lies was better imo.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Truth" in this case is pretty subjective.
The truth always hurts thats why we choose to downplay it.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
That's not really the issue, have you seen all 15 movies on the shortlist and do you think this one is more Oscar worthy?

I am watching this film now and it is rather tame actually, it's clearly an opinion and is mostly presented as such.

The movie does not say he was born in Kenya or anything like that. Basically it is saying he has a 3rd world point of view. Still watching of course. It's a little boring to be honest. The Obama Lies was better imo.
Its called a documentary most are because they are factually documenting something.

And it wasn't about a 3rd world point of view. It was about his rise & views of America's position in the world as well as who Obama learned from & was mentored under.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM

25,884 posts, read 20,830,294 times
Quote:
The truth always hurts thats why we choose to downplay it.
"We" don't choose any such thing.

And again, "truth" is subjective in this case. The maker of this film never spoke to, or even met, the subject of his film.

Contrast that with this, for example, where every attempt was made to actually get the "truth" as they saw it, from those involved:

Ken Burns co-directs the powerful documentary 'The Central Park Five' - CSMonitor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies