Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Just goes to prove that Hollywood is not as important as they think they are. Would you like to know how many years it has been since I went out of my home to see a movie. Hollywood is highly overrated. Most people just go to the movies because they have nothing else to do. I have plenty to do, so I don't go.

Just curious why you think your movie going patterns is relevant?

Perhaps you can't afford to go to the movies, we'd never know. People go to see movies in this day and age. I'm just saying, you're not too busy to have racked up over 10k post here and who knows what other sites you frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What do you mean, mentioned? How do you "get a mention"?
Are you serious? You've never heard of that?

I realize you're trying to be coy, but it's not a term I made up. Google it.

It would be synonymous with nomination or consideration.

The way you get it is by having many friends lobby on your behalf from what I understand.

If you don't win the award it would be nice to at least be mentioned for it.

From the Oscar's website:

Up to five nominations will be made in most categories, with balloting for these nominations restricted to members of the Academy branch concerned; only actors, for instance, determine the nominees in the acting categories. Nominations for awards in the Foreign Language Film category are made by a large screening group composed of members from all branches. Best Picture nominations and final winners in most categories are determined by vote of the entire membership.

In addition to the regular annual awards determined by vote of the membership, the Academy’s Board of Governors is empowered to confer Scientific and Technical Awards, Honorary Awards, Special Achievement Awards and other special honors. Among these is the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, a bronze bust of the legendary producer, which is given to “a creative producer whose body of work reflects a consistently high quality of motion picture production.” It is considered the highest accolade a producer can receive.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Telling the truth is not allowed in Hollywood.
who cares ? Are you making a profit from the movie ?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Trump and the other birthers probably did not care for the film because it contradicts their beliefs.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Are you serious? You've never heard of that?

I realize you're trying to be coy, but it's not a term I made up. Google it.

It would be synonymous with nomination or consideration.

The way you get it is by having many friends lobby on your behalf from what I understand.

If you don't win the award it would be nice to at least be mentioned for it.

From the Oscar's website:

Up to five nominations will be made in most categories, with balloting for these nominations restricted to members of the Academy branch concerned; only actors, for instance, determine the nominees in the acting categories. Nominations for awards in the Foreign Language Film category are made by a large screening group composed of members from all branches. Best Picture nominations and final winners in most categories are determined by vote of the entire membership.

In addition to the regular annual awards determined by vote of the membership, the Academy’s Board of Governors is empowered to confer Scientific and Technical Awards, Honorary Awards, Special Achievement Awards and other special honors. Among these is the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, a bronze bust of the legendary producer, which is given to “a creative producer whose body of work reflects a consistently high quality of motion picture production.” It is considered the highest accolade a producer can receive.

It doesn't work that way - that if you don't win you at least get "mentioned". You are either nominated or you aren't. There's no such official Academy language as a "mention".

And all of the companies that produce movies take out full page ads in the trades that have "for your consideration" for the movies they've produced that year in the copy. It doesn't mean that the movies are being considered for an Oscar, it's a way to bring the movie to the attention of the members of the Academy that vote, and to remind them who (what personnel) to vote for.

The only people who are "mentioned" in the way you mean it are the actual nominees, of which there are around 5 of each category, except for Best Picture, which has 10. The vast majority of movies are not nominated and therefore not "mentioned", nice as that would be for them all.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Just curious why you think your movie going patterns is relevant?

Perhaps you can't afford to go to the movies, we'd never know. People go to see movies in this day and age. I'm just saying, you're not too busy to have racked up over 10k post here and who knows what other sites you frequent.
Maybe because there are many others who feel the same way I do. I am going shopping now, so have a nice day.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Were they mentioned?

I think they were saying this movie never even got a mention for the Oscars, not that it should win.
that list is long too, lots of great movies also never got the nod/mention for an oscar. north by north west and sophie's choice comes to mind,

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM

161 posts, read 264,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Telling the truth is not allowed in Hollywood.
Well durrrr.. Liberals live off of their own lies.. the truth only takes away from their agenda so of course they'll block it out and make some willy nilly reason of why it can't be considered. Look it Michael Moore and all his hypocritical lies.. they like his agenda so he gets in.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Box office rarely, if ever, counts for Oscar nominations. If it did, "The Avengers" would win best picture for 2012.

Have you seen the list of movies being projected as nominees for best picture for 2013? The only one that approaches a (potentially) big box office movie is "Les Miserables" and it was shut out at the NY Film Critics awards last week.

NY Film Critics name 'Zero Dark Thirty' best film

As for "2016:"

"But looking at Rotten Tomatoes, 2016 hardly stacks up to those films when it comes to critical reception, usually a pretty good test of what might be considered Oscar-worthy — especially when it comes to the crowded documentary field. The 15 films on the Academy shortlist have an average "fresh" rating of 94 percent, while 2016 falls in the "rotten" column with 27 percent."

Dinesh D'Souza's Obama Film Didn't Get Nominated Because People Hated It - Entertainment - The Atlantic Wire

But hey, if believing it to be some sort of conspiracy helps people sleep at night, have at it.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,108 times
I'll watch it later today. Im curious. I can put my opinions aside and be honest about presentation.

I thought Fahrenheit 9/11 was pretty lame and I agreed with most of what was said, so I can be objective about this kind of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies