Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Don't know, don't care. The Obama plan is still the only offer on the table.

I'm more curious where you got the idea. Because neither are in his proposal.

You mean the commission that Ryan was a member of and then voted against? That one.

Obama's offer is on the table. Where oh where is the Republican counter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Was there supposed to be a response in there to something I wrote?

Are you a three year old or something? Oh, I got it, you're partaking in a Friday night "sauce" fest sponsored by Jack Daniels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thiis is negotiating 101. Where's the counter offer?
You can laugh off a silly first offer --- now it's up to Obama to get serious and make a sincere offer.

Just like if you're selling a car -- you want $4000 for the car and someone offers you $600. You're going to laugh off the $600 offer and then maybe the other party will come up with something rational.

Obama is just trying to be silly when he needs to get real.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thiis is negotiating 101. Where's the counter offer?
Are you people serious?

You think Boner (snickers) went to talk to the president about negotiations and just sat there silent?

If that's what you think you truly are the most incompetent "educated" class of people on the planet.

You go into negotiations from a position of strength and there's nothing in the federal budget that says Obama has anything strength-worthy to negotiate with.

Record budget deficits, failing social safety nets, massive amounts of money supply aqnd a foreign policy that leaves much to be desired.

Obama is simply proposing childish attempts to solve real problems.

I mean his GD proposal accounts for "savings" from winding down the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan while he simultaneously tried to negotiate staying in Iraq and and still has zero draw-down proposals for Afghanistan.

This is a joke to you all, apparently and it just bolsters the idea that you have no idea what sort of train-wreck you're heading for.

It's a large train with a huge mass and it's traveling at hundreds of miles per hour. Maybe your cardboard box over your head will protect you...

My contention is that it won't and all it will contain is your brain splatter, little as it might be.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Yes --- like it or not -- your side won the election and it's up to your side to find some workable solutions.

All the Republicans have to do is stop anything that's too absurd and your guys put their thinking caps back on and come up with something doable.

Obama isn't president just because it gives him a special chair next to a Kardashian on the Letterman show. He's supposed to have plans.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can laugh off a silly first offer --- now it's up to Obama to get serious and make a sincere offer.

Just like if you're selling a car -- you want $4000 for the car and someone offers you $600. You're going to laugh off the $600 offer and then maybe the other party will come up with something rational.

Obama is just trying to be silly when he needs to get real.
Sigh. Offer made. Counter-offer necessary.

How many off the record conversations do you suppose there have been? I'm guessing ~ a lot.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

How many off the record conversations do you suppose there have been? I'm guessing ~ a lot.
The offer was a joke and a complete lie from his position just a few months ago where he called for a $1:$2.5 ratio of spending cuts to revenue increases.

He has no high-ground to negotiate with. He simply is throwing out garbage in an attempt to marginalize republicans and make them offer what his own cabinet officers and debt commission already put up.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:

No. Wrong again -- the Republicans do not have to make a counter-offer to a ridiculous additional spending proposal. The Republicans lost the election -- remember?

Obama bragged about how he won by a landslide and has some big mandate -- so he and the democrats need to come up with a plan. Obama etal simply have to come up with something the Republicans can approve.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No. Wrong again -- the Republicans do not have to make a counter-offer to a ridiculous additional spending proposal. The Republicans lost the election -- remember?

Obama bragged about how he won by a landslide and has some big mandate -- so he and the democrats need to come up with a plan.
Obviously, negotiating is not your strong point.

Republicans have DEMANDED spending cuts. It's not MY job (or President Obama's) to formulate their DEMANDS for them.

When someone makes a demand - they specify what it is they are demanding. What spending cuts? Defense spending? Medicare? SS? What demands have they presented?

IF they don't want to approve President Obama's plan; and they have stated they have other demands ~ it is their job to present their own demands.

Lord ~ this is tiring. Off to put up my Christmas tree before I fall asleep at the keyboard.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Republicans have DEMANDED spending cuts. It's not MY job (or President Obama's) to formulate their DEMANDS for them.

When someone makes a demand - they specify what it is they are demanding. What spending cuts? Defense spending? Medicare? SS? What demands have they presented?

IF they don't want to approve President Obama's plan; and they have stated they have other demands ~ it is their job to present their own demands.

Lord ~ this is tiring. Off to put up my Christmas tree before I fall asleep at the keyboard.
Quote:
The Social Security Act established the Board of Trustees to oversee the
financial operations of the OASI and DI Trust Funds. The Board is composed
of six members. Four members serve by virtue of their positions in the
Federal Government: the Secretary of the Treasury, who is the Managing
Trustee; the Secretary of Labor; the Secretary of Health and Human Services;
and the Commissioner of Social Security. The President appoints and
the Senate confirms the other two members to serve as public representatives.
The Deputy Commissioner of the Social Security Administration
(SSA) serves as Secretary of the Board.

For the combined OASI and DI
Trust Funds to remain solvent throughout the 75-year projection period, lawmakers
could: (1) increase the combined payroll tax rate during the period in
a manner equivalent to an immediate and permanent increase of
2.61 percentage points 1 (from its current level of 12.40 percent to
15.01 percent); (2) reduce scheduled benefits during the period in a manner
equivalent to an immediate and permanent reduction of 16.2 percent;
(3) draw on alternative sources of revenue; or (4) adopt some combination of
these approaches.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/tr/2012/tr2012.pdf

What's tiring is you people dismissing your own appointees and commissions and then trying your hardest to blame someone else for your complete and utter failure as trustees.

You people are so vested in the propaganda of this regime that you choose self-delusion instead of purposeful action.

It's sick really and I'm sure they make some sort of pill for your ailments.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Obama was elected to lead this country. He's got to stop trying to hide behind Boehner.

Like sled dogs say -- either lead or get out the hell out of the way. No -- the Republicans don't have to play Obama's silly games. He can show some leadership and propose something serious -- or we go off the fiscal cliff -- and with it the 2 million unemployed who have become quite accustomed to getting a nice check from the federal government. They'll have to start looking for jobs.

If Obama wants to have Boehner do all the leading, he should have excused himself from the presidential race and let someone with balls have the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies