Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times

Advertisements

So, I am watching my favorite train wreck on msnbc last night and in her/his usual fashion, is going on and on and on and on about Republicans pledge against earmarks and how that doesn't amount to doodly squat....."meaningless" were her words, I believe. Showing a cute little pie chart that shows the 13 trillion deficit and earmarks amount to a line, totaling 16 billion, "nothing". Then she goes on yammering about how the Republicans are adding 700 billion to the deficit.......(one can only assume she is talking about the tax increase on the "wealthy" that republicans are against.) In the end, just like all liberals she states that the only way to seriously affect the deficit is to cut entitlements. So here is the question.....Liberals are constantly challenging Republicans on this daring them to cut entitlements, why? They have no willingness to cut anywhere except the military, yet they are obsessed with increasing taxes on small business. What would they do if Republicans , said they were going to cut entitlements? I believe they arent concerned about spending or the deficit, they are soley focused on taking more money out of the economy. Lets be clear once again .....the lack of a tax hike is not adding to the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So, I am watching my favorite train wreck on msnbc last night and in her/his usual fashion, is going on and on and on and on about Republicans pledge against earmarks and how that doesn't amount to doodly squat....."meaningless" were her words, I believe. Showing a cute little pie chart that shows the 13 trillion deficit and earmarks amount to a line, totaling 16 billion, "nothing". Then she goes on yammering about how the Republicans are adding 700 billion to the deficit.......(one can only assume she is talking about the tax increase on the "wealthy" that republicans are against.) In the end, just like all liberals she states that the only way to seriously affect the deficit is to cut entitlements. So here is the question.....Liberals are constantly challenging Republicans on this daring them to cut entitlements, why? They have no willingness to cut anywhere except the military, yet they are obsessed with increasing taxes on small business. What would they do if Republicans , said they were going to cut entitlements? I believe they arent concerned about spending or the deficit, they are soley focused on taking more money out of the economy. Lets be clear once again .....the lack of a tax hike is not adding to the deficit.

They'd know they were lying.

Just as we'd know they were lying if the Democrats said they were going to cut entitlements.

Both parties pay lip service to their alleged beliefs while their actions are dictated by the corporations/special interests that own them. Do you really think there's much difference between them anymore? They may wear different costumes but underneath they're the same.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
You're full of it.

Here is a graph that shows what the deficits will be if we extend the Bush tax cuts.

Extending the tax cut with be the most single greatest cause of increasing the national debt.

Ezra Klein - The Bush tax cuts' effect on the deficit in one graph

{ Notice yet again how a liberal must join the thread and link to an objective source rather than just spew misinformed right wing opinion}

Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They'd know they were lying.

Just as we'd know they were lying if the Democrats said they were going to cut entitlements.

Both parties pay lip service to their alleged beliefs while their actions are dictated by the corporations/special interests that own them. Do you really think there's much difference between them anymore? They may wear different costumes but underneath they're the same.
But of course all the time liberals are always "Democrats gooood Republicans baaad" and conservatives are always "Republicans gooood Democrats baaad" and round and round the football keeps getting fumbled

Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Here is yet another graph compiled from CBO data that shows it was the Bush tax cuts that were the single greatest cause to the National debt.

Boehner Lies About Bush Tax Cuts and Deficits | Crooks and Liars

There is no getting through to right wingers....they don't live in a world where factual data matters....they are 100% tribal thinkers, lemmings...they don't think for themselves.

I have no idea how someone could look at objective data and continue to spout off that tax cuts don't increase deficits......CRAZY!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're full of it.

Here is a graph that shows what the deficits will be if we extend the Bush tax cuts.

Extending the tax cut with be the most single greatest cause of increasing the national debt.

{ Notice yet again how a liberal must join the thread and link to an objective source rather than just spew misinformed right wing opinion}
Neither side can claim fiscal responsibility, but you can't reasonably look at the effects of the tax cuts without also looking at the spending level.

FAQ on Bush tax cuts: What you need to know - Sep. 15, 2010
"Treasury estimates the costs of making the tax cuts permanent for everyone is $3.7 trillion over 10 years.

Of that, $3 trillion accounts for the cost of extending them for the vast majority of Americans, as the president has proposed. The remaining $700 billion is the cost of extending them permanently for the high-income earners."

National Debt Up $3 Trillion on Obama's Watch - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
The Debt increased $4.9 trillion during President Bush's two terms. The Administration has projected the National Debt will soar in Mr. Obama's fourth year in office to nearly $16.5-trillion in 2012. That's more than 100 percent of the value of the nation's economy and $5.9-trillion above what it was his first day on the job.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But of course all the time liberals are always "Democrats gooood Republicans baaad" and conservatives are always "Republicans gooood Democrats baaad" and round and round the football keeps getting fumbled
Typical poppy **** from wishy washy independents who boast how they are able to "rise above it all"...lol

The FACT OF THE MATTER is that if you have two sides to an argument...one side could be completely 100% wrong.

And I wish I could find that survey that showed "independent" voters the most misinformed group of all.....and that was going up against right wingers which is saying a lot....LOL

Old 11-17-2010, 01:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So here is the question.....Liberals are constantly challenging Republicans on this daring them to cut entitlements, why? They have no willingness to cut anywhere except the military,

Lets be clear once again .....the lack of a tax hike is not adding to the deficit.
We're challenging you to cut entitlements because since 1980, that has been the platform of your party and you've yet to deliver a damn thing close to entitlement cuts...that's why. We're challenging you because Bush didn't veto a single spending bill until Democrats took back the Congress. We're challenging you because despite the "we need small government" rhetoric that Republicans can't shut up about, we got Medicare Pt. D.

As to our (liberals) willingness to cut military spending, well duh!! No budget cutter can say anything worth listening to if he/she doesn't mention steep cuts in defense. In fact, it should START there before we cut a single entitlement that benefits an American. If Korea wants us in Korea so bad, then they can pay for it. Same for Japan, Germany, Southeast Asia, or anywhere else. You need our security that bad? Good...pay for it.

As for your last sentence...please, please, please...i beg you... just stop!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm a liberal of sorts. I'd a voted for McCain. Then he picked a fruit loop for a running mate. I couldn't imagine that person being in charge of my country. I don't care what party you belong to. I think of Vladimir Putin, and I think "Mr. Badass". I think of Sarah Palin and I think "Mama Grizzly."

Old 11-17-2010, 02:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're full of it.

I assume you are talking to me.......Listen up , we will try this again. When was the last time you went to your employer and told him, that raise he wasn't giving you was the reason you had 10 thousand dollars in credit card debt, behind on both your car payments and upside down on your mortgage? nonsense isnt it ? Taxes are revenue to the government (income), hence the term "Internal Revenue Service". It is not a cost! It does not go in the payable column , it goes in the receivable column! If a home or business is running a deficit and cant balance their budget they must either raise their receivables or cut their payables or both, obviously if a family or Business could bring in more income they would already be doing so , so the only thing left to do is STOP SPENDING!!!! Contrary to the liberal belief, the federal government is no different, tax payers are not and cannot be an unlimited source of income. My whole point of this thread is leftists such as yourself want to chide republicans for not really being serious about cutting al the while they are defending the monstrous cost of obamacare. My position is if they really got serious about cutting every where and anywhere they could, and really reigned in the size and cost of government .....then I might consider the possibility that we need to raise taxes, but as it is we know that as far as the left is concerned it will never be enough, EVER! We aren't even talking about the lunacy of raising taxes on employers when the biggest problem in America is jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies