Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,229,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The better translations of the Bible are useful. Not everything in this gathering of manuscripts is rock solid...it is not the perfect word of GOD...There are some great time tested wisdom in the book. There is some colorful myths contained but there are also some stunningly brilliant bits of information that are so good that they are divine in their nature...You have to UNDERSTAND - the book and view it will a critical eye....The comment that it is the greatest argument for atheism...Is a shallow and un-educate utterance. Atheist like to mention some of the silly parts of the bible --------but never mention the parts that are utterly brilliant...because through their arrogance and laziness - They never took the time to give the book some study in order to understand what formed Christian society - that the atheist is part of...Atheists are just not interested in their own history.
I'm an atheist and I think the bible has some really great parts. I also think that many other religious texts have great parts. I also think that some sci fi stories have great parts. And all have valuable lessons. That does not mean that I believe in the god of the bible, or any other religious text.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Its like abortion in that its unlike to be settled as there is so much opposition based on core beliefs. Basically even laws are only settled when accepted by the govern has we see in marijuana and other issues. gay marriage isn't even accept by law in all states.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,670,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You know, I am starting to think that some of you are just plain dumb.

The question is not about the validity of the Bible.

The question concerns whether a particular teaching appears in the Bible.

Can you not understand the difference between these two concepts?

apparantely not, I have not read the Bible.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,824,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The better translations of the Bible are useful. Not everything in this gathering of manuscripts is rock solid...it is not the perfect word of GOD...There are some great time tested wisdom in the book. There is some colorful myths contained but there are also some stunningly brilliant bits of information that are so good that they are divine in their nature...You have to UNDERSTAND - the book and view it will a critical eye....The comment that it is the greatest argument for atheism...Is a shallow and un-educate utterance. Atheist like to mention some of the silly parts of the bible --------but never mention the parts that are utterly brilliant...because through their arrogance and laziness - They never took the time to give the book some study in order to understand what formed Christian society - that the atheist is part of...Atheists are just not interested in their own history.
You dont have to be disinterested to be critical. If anything its the exact opposite. Christians treat the Bible like an iTunes user agreement, while atheists have been proven, on average, to know more about the Bible than the people who believe its word of god.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM

46,991 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Rather, the point under discussion is whether the Bible teaches strongly against homosexuality, or not. It does, clearly -- see the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the New English Bible. To say otherwise is the oldest trick in the homosexual apologist's bag, and it's used insidiously to spread their philosophy among people who really don't know anything much about the Bible but have some respect for it.
Many Jews - who arguably have a stronger claim to the Old Testament then do Christians - do not consider Sodom and Gomorrah to be about homosexuality at all, but about lack of hospitality. Why should we take the mainstream conservative Christian interpretation over theirs?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

46,991 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
You could use a telescope or a probe to prove that there was no teapot in orbit.
So until we have exhaustively examined all possible teapot-orbits around Saturn, teapot deniers ("ateapotists"?) should treat the "teapot exists" hypothesis as having the same likelihood as the "teapot doesn't exist"?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,788,315 times
Quote:
Never have I argued the merits of the Sodom and Gomorrah account, nor have I mentioned my own religion, nor have I included any of my own religious beliefs in my posts. I don't care at all whether you adhere to my religious beliefs, whatever they might be. You can do what you want with your life. I simply don't care what you do. You are of no consequence to me, one way or the other. Is that hard to understand? If so, which part are you having trouble with?

Rather, the point under discussion is whether the Bible teaches strongly against homosexuality, or not. It does, clearly -- see the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the New English Bible. To say otherwise is the oldest trick in the homosexual apologist's bag, and it's used insidiously to spread their philosophy among people who really don't know anything much about the Bible but have some respect for it.
No, we're not since the Bible is irrelevant when discussing Supreme Court decisions. Religion has no authority in this matter.

For the record though, I don't consider 4 vague, culturally based passages discussing certain types of behavior out of over 37,000 to constitute "strongly". Jesus Christ himself said not a single word about it. Divorce and adultery are discussed much more strongly, and both are perfectly legal and heavily practiced by the very Christians that cherry pick the Bible to condemn gays. Thus their opinions are 100% meaningless.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Many Jews - who arguably have a stronger claim to the Old Testament then do Christians - do not consider Sodom and Gomorrah to be about homosexuality at all, but about lack of hospitality. Why should we take the mainstream conservative Christian interpretation over theirs?
The Jews running around in America are for the most part not Jews. Women rabbis, lesbian rabbis they dont keep the Sabbath holy etc. You need to speak to Orthodox or Middle East Jews. I have a good friend who is an Iranian Jew and he says America is sick morally.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, we're not since the Bible is irrelevant when discussing Supreme Court decisions. Religion has no authority in this matter.

For the record though, I don't consider 4 vague, culturally based passages discussing certain types of behavior out of over 37,000 to constitute "strongly". Jesus Christ himself said not a single word about it. Divorce and adultery are discussed much more strongly, and both are perfectly legal and heavily practiced by the very Christians that cherry pick the Bible to condemn gays. Thus their opinions are 100% meaningless.
The Gospel tells us not to mingle with sexually immoral people. We are not suppose to even eat with you people but since you are without God we are to leave you to God.

Also no one is without sin we all do it. If the adulterer confesses his sins to God he is forgiven. The difference is that the practicing homosexual is sinning against God openly and without repenting.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,336,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Can you prove that he does? The onus of proof is on YOU, my friend.
If I say I have a unicorn in my garage, it's up to me to present evidence of my claim. It's not incumbent on you to prove I don't. That's how logic and reason works.

(Oh, look who I'm talking to. Someone who believes in a big book of fairy tales. Never mind.)

The problem is Unicorns actually exist. I just rode thru the neighborhood and saw one with red hair, blue hair and one even had green hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.