Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM

26,374 posts, read 49,502,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
You got that right about Santorum making millions of women cringe. If we want to cut down on unwanted pregnancy then I would think all adults would agree birth control is a good thing. If you don't get pregnant in the first place that's the ideal outcome for anyone who does not want to have a child. This is personal responsibility as far as I'm concerned.
Exactly so. I'm agog that evangelicals don't even want people, especially the more vulnerable young people, to have knowledge of and access to BC products. Santorum was an idiot for going there with his comments, but those poor suckers have to say what the base wants to hear. The base never learn though, they give their votes and money do the GOP but the GOP always stiffs them, year after year.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,944,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm glad you said "virtually".
one has to always consider their position to be false..science does this, religion does not though..science does not make claims without evidence to support claims.. religion is the pulling of sh#t out of your bum and demanding the world to prove you wrong by 100 percent.. which will never happen so by virtually.. I mean 99.99999% so hallelujah! praise the lord baby jesus.. woo!

there's always room for ignorance.. even if it's .000001%

Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,351,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly so. I'm agog that evangelicals don't even want people, especially the more vulnerable young people, to have knowledge of and access to BC products. Santorum was an idiot for going there with his comments, but those poor suckers have to say what the base wants to hear. The base never learn though, they give their votes and money do the GOP but the GOP always stiffs them, year after year.
Evangelicals aren't against birth control. Catholics are and Santorum is a devout catholic. I think birth control is great because it prevents abortions.

Nonetheless, I am still amazed how big of an issue this was determining the election when we have an economy teetering on the edge of total collapse. Over the next four years America will pay dearly for such shortsightedness.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Evangelicals aren't against birth control. Catholics are and Santorum is a devout catholic. I think birth control is great because it prevents abortions.

Nonetheless, I am still amazed how big of an issue this was determining the election when we have an economy teetering on the edge of total collapse. Over the next four years America will pay dearly for such shortsightedness.
I've read news reports in past years of evangelical groups trying to stop sex ed in high schools and specifically stop giving info on BC to students; the evangelical spin is that teaching "kids" about BC will make them want to go have sex, and we all know how awful sex is.

Whether or not we're "teetering on the edge" is debatable, but what is not debatable is that the GOP is AWOL on this topic while they're out pandering to every single-issue voting bloc the GOP can round up and herd into an electoral majority.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,259,347 times
Quote:
The author is an angry man, still struggling to find his place in a world that he doesn't really understand, and never liked. His anger isn't at God, it's at himself and his parents, and anyone who believes in God.

He's making up his own "reality", an image of evangelicals, that justifies his anger. He's a man with an deep inner struggle, trying to find the answers for it, and someone to blame, in the world around him.

Not all Republicans are evangelical, nor are all evangelicals Republicans. That anyone would try use him as a credible commentator on the subject is not thinking clearly himself and is most likely doing it for ulterior motives.
So you be satisfied in believing that you have successfully analyzed a man that actually lived the Evangleical belief system and made the conscious decision to leave it behind. What gives you the credentials? He has since come to understand that many people are born homosexuals, that climate change exists, etc, so I don't see how anyone can preceive this person as angry, but rather open-minded and embracing what the world around him tells him makes more sense. You are closed minded, so don't project your limited sphere of thinking on others.

This thread is not to argue religion, but rather to expose how the religious are being exploited for money and power by the special interests. Dogmatic religious people do tend to be far more gullible than most. These special interest power and money hungry entities are having a negative affect on how the government and religion are melding in a way never intended.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM

23,662 posts, read 17,653,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
just because a majority of people believe in god.. doesn't make them right... truth be told they merely hope or should I say "have faith" that they're right...its the price they pay for peace of mind i suppose.. there's a fine line between peace of mind and ignorance though.. and as the old saying goes.. ignorance is bliss.. facts or evidence are sometimes hard to swallow
You don't understand the meaning of faith do you?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM

23,662 posts, read 17,653,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

That's wrong. Catholics are against ARTIFICIAL birth control.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,259,347 times
Quote:
This is your favorite? And you're admitting it in public?

Just because a majority of people believe in Obama...doesn't make them right...

You know how that goes...
That buffoon might be insignificant in the larger scheme of things, but someone that has the connections and the power to influence people thru lies and deception and use religion as the marketing tool is dangerous...

Quote:
The Ralph Reed ‘Come to Jesus’ Scam!

After falling from grace for his insidious connection to the Jack Abramoff scandal in 2005, Ralph Reed is back in full force. Not convicted but being disgraced as part of the Evangelical circuit, Ralph Reed is again running “Jesus” scams for politicians, this while a reformed Abramoff is out of prison and offering good advice to would-be political malefactors.

Since the early 1980s, a troika of grifters distinguished themselves as scoundrels who effectively polluted politics. They included Ralph Reed, Jack Abramoff and Grover Norquist. Ralph Reed is said to be the most odious – and the most effectual. According to Jack Abramoff in a 2002 email to his convicted co-conspirator, Mike Scanlon, Reed is a “bad version” of them (more corrupt than they are), but quite helpful in delivering the religious right-wing to George W. Bush in the 2000 and 2004 elections.

Who is Ralph Reed and why should we care? We should care because his efforts make a difference in our lives regarding those elected to high political positions, making our laws and ruling our lives. Religious fundamentalists like him are part of the relentless, even ruthless, effort to bring out conservative, evangelical voters, suppress progressive voting by making such voting more difficult and by souring voters who don’t seem to realize what is at stake in elections. The emotion of religion draws voters to the polls, while a Congress with a 9% approval rating summarily keeps other voters away.
http://taboojive.com/the-ralph-reed-come-to-jesus-scam/

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,944,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You don't understand the meaning of faith do you?
i do.. i just choose not to subscribe to it.. for me personally it is illogical and unreasonable..
I was raised as a person of strong faith.. but i got tired of being lied to and making excuses for those lies to preserve my faith...
it's like having faith in the easter bunny.. you can keep believing in it.. nothing can stop that.. and i'm sure there's some adults that still have faith it exists.. but it doesn't make it so.. and there is a certain level of lying to yourself someone would have to do to keep believing the easter bunny exists.. there's no way really around it.. I just got tired of doing it and sought out evidence based explanations for things...

essentially faith is hoping that something is true.. it's not knowing.. you can tell yourself it's knowing.. but that's the lie you tell yourself..some can do it and live with it... some of us can't and refuse..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That's wrong. Catholics are against ARTIFICIAL birth control.
True. But it shouldn't be that way, and in 1966 the vatican almost embraced contraception.

Here are excerpts of how that went down, and how a few of the vatican old guard killed progress:

Excerpt: Then, in 1966, Paul VI's birth control commission presented its preliminary report to the pope. It held big news: The body had overwhelmingly voted to recommend lifting the prohibition on contraceptives. (The former Archbishop of Brussels, Cardinal Leo Suenens, went so far as to say the church needed to confront reality and avoid another "Galileo case.")

It took just 3 old farts in the vatican to scare the pope enough that he did not "confront reality" and instead stick with the voodoo that denied "approval" to use contraception. Latest stats are that 98% of catholics do use contraception and have no intention of stopping.

Catholic hospitals hand out all sorts of pills and medical products, but can't hand out BC pills and condoms. IMO that's utter lunacy and that's the utter lunacy that the GOP mouthed this season and lost their ass, like total moron Akin and his "legitimate rape" rape crap, and when it comes to today's GOP, it would sure be nice if I could just "shut that whole thing down."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies