Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM

45,931 posts, read 61,397,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If and when (maybe) the general is called to the stand, he doesn't have to say anything, fifth amendment. As oliver north did with iran-contra.
Actually North testified under a grant of immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,409,626 times
Default Petraeus update: The OTHER other woman has been ID'd

The woman who originally received threatening emails from Paula Broadwell, and reported her concerns to the FBI, has been identified by an anonymous military source, according to the AP.

She is Jill Kelly, 37, a State Dept Liasan Officer to the JDOC. Kelly's relationship to Petraeus is not specified, but a source says the two are "often seen together"

News from The Associated Press

Looks like General Petraeus has been busy!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,523,303 times
Why do these guys get married? Derek Jeter seems to be the only guy to understand how the game is played when you're in a position of power and influence. Seriously, who's shocked that a guy that spends most of his life in some hell hole isn't getting some stray. And young relatively hot stray at that. You got line Secret Service Agents partying with throngs of working girls. Do we think these are one offs? Come on folks, Patraeus likely had more stray than Tiger Woods. Stop expecting more out of people because of the rank they achieved. Did the exploits of Bill Clinton and many others not teach us anything?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,749,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Why do these guys get married? Derek Jeter seems to be the only guy to understand how the game is played when you're in a position of power and influence. Seriously, who's shocked that a guy that spends most of his life in some hell hole isn't getting some stray. And young relatively hot stray at that. You got line Secret Service Agents partying with throngs of working girls. Do we think these are one offs? Come on folks, Patraeus likely had more stray than Tiger Woods. Stop expecting more out of people because of the rank they achieved. Did the exploits of Bill Clinton and many others not teach us anything?

Exactly. With rare exception, I think all the powerful men are doing it. It's part of the personality type.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,063,053 times
Default Petraeus: Does anyone else find this interesting?

"The timing of Petraeus' resignation, which came days before he was scheduled to testify to the House and Senate intelligence committees regarding the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, "was what it was," an official told ABC News, adding that the time had come to tie up any loose ends in the investigation and confront Petraeus." — ABC News (today)

"Tie up any loose ends" in the investigation? It never really got started, did it?

Is the timing of the exposé of the "affair" interesting?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,738,703 times
Do you have a name for the quote? I don't watch ABC.

It sure sounds like Petraeus is going to be blamed for BG, doesn't it! And you're right. The investigation starts next week.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,966,382 times
A letter to The Ethicist colimn, New York Times Magazine from July 2012:
A Message From Beyond - NYTimes.com&

Quote:
MY WIFE’S LOVER
My wife is having an affair with a government executive. His role is to manage a project whose progress is seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership. (This might seem hyperbolic, but it is not an exaggeration.) I have met with him on several occasions, and he has been gracious. (I doubt if he is aware of my knowledge.) I have watched the affair intensify over the last year, and I have also benefited from his generosity. He is engaged in work that I am passionate about and is absolutely the right person for the job. I strongly feel that exposing the affair will create a major distraction that would adversely impact the success of an important effort. My issue: Should I acknowledge this affair and finally force closure? Should I suffer in silence for the next year or two for a project I feel must succeed? Should I be “true to my heart” and walk away from the entire miserable situation and put the episode behind me? NAME WITHHELD

Old 11-11-2012, 04:27 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,749,597 times
If you dig deeper into all the links out there, the investigation has been going on for some time and it apparently came to the attention of Eric Cantor back in October. The Republicans have known about this scandal for quite some time and, for some reason, did not bring it to light and use it as we would hope. Enough Republicans hate Obama and wanted to see him ousted that I CANNOT believe that they were able to be suppressed in any way. Time will tell.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,566,522 times
Did you also know that CANTOR has Known since OCTOBER?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM

414 posts, read 346,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
If you dig deeper into all the links out there, the investigation has been going on for some time and it apparently came to the attention of Eric Cantor back in October. The Republicans have known about this scandal for quite some time and, for some reason, did not bring it to light and use it as we would hope. Enough Republicans hate Obama and wanted to see him ousted that I CANNOT believe that they were able to be suppressed in any way. Time will tell.
And when the FBI informant found out and notified Eric Cantor who notified FBI director Meuller, it was Meuller's job to take that information straight to the president. Or the president might have already known earlier. That is what we need to find out in the hearings. Pat Buchanan brought up a good question last night. He asked 'Why didn't the CIA find out about this affair when they did their initial full field investigation (vetting) into Petraeus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies