Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Disgusting. You should be removed from this country.
Why, because you don't agree with his "speech"?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Look - flying the flag at half mast, burning it, throwing it in the garbage, etc. are all expressions of free speech and these expressions are protected by the US Constitution.

Having said that, I personally believe that such actions are childish and lame.

Do you think anyone - I mean ANYONE - cares if you fly the flag upside down? Do you think that is going to change anyone's opinion?

Now I am going to exercise my constitutional right of freedom of speech ... I don't think you are evil and you are not traitors for disrespecting the flag, I think you're just morons plain and simple. A bunch of idiots.

PS I have the Stars & Stripes on my porch and it is right side up.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
It strangely appears that Obama's most loyal supporters (you know, the "free speech" crowd) are amongst those who most vocally decry the hanging of a flag in an upside-down position.

Maybe these perpetrators of (suddenly inappropriate) flag-hanging should follow in the tradition of anti-Bush protestors and simply burn them instead?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
It strangely appears that Obama's most loyal supporters (you know, the "free speech" crowd) are amongst those who most vocally decry the hanging of a flag in an upside-down position.

Maybe these perpetrators of (suddenly inappropriate) flag-hanging should follow in the tradition of anti-Bush protestors and simply burn them instead?
No problem with that. Burning is the proper way to dispose of a flag.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No problem with that. Burning is the proper way to dispose of a flag.
Ouch--really got me there.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
It is amazing to see so many liberals so in love with the flag after watching them trash it, burn it, and desecrate it in every conceivable way for the past 50 years every time they disagreed with government policy. Can you say Hypocrisy?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It is amazing to see so many liberals so in love with the flag after watching them trash it, burn it, and desecrate it in every conceivable way for the past 50 years every time they disagreed with government policy. Can you say Hypocrisy?
Someone trashing a flag is extremely rare, hardly a favorite "liberal" pastime. Most liberal people I know believe deeply in free speech which means anyone can do whatever they want with a flag including these people doing it over the election, but to use destroying a flag to protest an honestly won election simply because the candidate you wanted lost is incredibly childish, and downright whiney, but it is your right to behave in such a childish manner.

Part of being an American is believing in our democratic system of elections, not believing in it ONLY when your side wins, apparently these flag protesters believe only they should get to choose who is allowed to hold elected office, screw democracy, screw the very foundation of our system of government.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Look - flying the flag at half mast, burning it, throwing it in the garbage, etc. are all expressions of free speech and these expressions are protected by the US Constitution.

Having said that, I personally believe that such actions are childish and lame.

Do you think anyone - I mean ANYONE - cares if you fly the flag upside down? Do you think that is going to change anyone's opinion?

Now I am going to exercise my constitutional right of freedom of speech ... I don't think you are evil and you are not traitors for disrespecting the flag, I think you're just morons plain and simple. A bunch of idiots.

PS I have the Stars & Stripes on my porch and it is right side up.
The fact that all of my neighbors are flying theirs at half staff comforts me

Unfortunately I dont know them all and I dont have a flagpole...

I hope they dont think Im a bootlicking 0bama zombie because they all have lots of guns, I hear em shooting all the time

Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Get all this reaction from them for an upside-down flag, wonder if someone said they were going to burn all the Bibles......... they'd all of a sudden find reason to defend it.

They will only wrap theirselves in the flag if it can serve their purpose...........

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Someone trashing a flag is extremely rare, hardly a favorite "liberal" pastime. Most liberal people I know believe deeply in free speech which means anyone can do whatever they want with a flag including these people doing it over the election, but to use destroying a flag to protest an honestly won election simply because the candidate you wanted lost is incredibly childish, and downright whiney, but it is your right to behave in such a childish manner.

Part of being an American is believing in our democratic system of elections, not believing in it ONLY when your side wins, apparently these flag protesters believe only they should get to choose who is allowed to hold elected office, screw democracy, screw the very foundation of our system of government.
I do not think it is as much about the election, as it is an overall feeling that the country as a whole is under siege.
The economy has been ransacked, the Treasury has been looted, the Constitution is under constant attack, the borders overrun, corporate power has replaced the will of the people, and the overall health of the nation is declining.

It is not that people are against America, it is that they feel everything America stands for is being taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies