Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a future for democracy?
Yes - democracy will bridge all of our differences eventually. 13 24.07%
Yes - we may be severely dysfunctional, but democracy will survive. 19 35.19%
No - democracy will end in the practical dissolution of our union. 9 16.67%
No - democracy will lead to tyranny or civil war. 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,617,216 times

Advertisements

Can democracy effectively govern a nation as starkly divided as the United States?

It seems to me we're at the point of a crisis. Absent the conversion of one side or the other, the present arrangement isn't sustainable. The divisions are just too deep.

That's my opinion. What's yours?

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 11-08-2012 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:14 AM

684 posts, read 826,771 times
The US isn't a democracy. It is democratic, but it is not a democracy. It's a republic.

I would suggest that both sides need to listen to one another. Too many people are earning too much from deep division. President Obama is not a Kenyan Communist bound to destroy America and Governor Romney is not a plutocrat misogynist determined to deploy troops to your womb.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,317,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Can democracy effectively govern a nation as starkly divided as the United States?

It seems to me we're at the point of a crisis. Absent the conversion of one side or the other, the present arrangement isn't sustainable. The divisions are just too deep.

The only crisis is that the realization is sinking in that conservatives are on the wrong side of history.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,255,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The only crisis is that the realization is sinking in that conservatives are on the wrong side of history.
I disagree somewhat, conservatives have not yet evolved out of their dark ages yet, IMO. The far right is living in the past, not the present or future. Some do not know the meaning of tolerance or acceptance yet. To evolve out of this stigma, it could take another generation or maybe even two generations. About another 100 years.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,591,167 times
Quote:

We live in a democratic country. The people have spoken. Just that this way means less prosperity, less freedom and less economic opportunity. But if that's what the American people want, so be it.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,431,866 times
This is part of what's wrong with our country.

We aren't, nor have we ever been a democracy.

Google republic

Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,591,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is part of what's wrong with our country.

We aren't, nor have we ever been a democracy.

Google republic
We never were supposed to be a democracy. We are a presidential democratic republic.

That's what our founding fathers wanted this country to be.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,570,092 times
I agree, the U.S. was set up as a republic. Our founding fathers apparently thought that most voters were idiots, so they created the electoral college to save the country if the populace elected the wrong person. It's an interesting setup.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 AM

30,122 posts, read 18,733,694 times
Quote:

I agree-

This was a vote of the "have nots" voting "generous gifts" to themselves from the treasury to the detriment of the nation. This had been predicted in the past.

The US will break up into several nations within 25 years. Hopefully one of these nations will allow voting rights only to property holders and military personnel. No one who is on the government dole or pays no taxes should be allowed to vote.

This will be all for the better- all the freeloaders can be in a few nations and those who want to work in another. Hard working free people will not stand by and be fleeced forever- it is against human nature.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Unverified quote..Alexander Tytler

Looks to me like this election put us in the "from apathy to dependence" since this election was about free-stuff not free-dom.

Alexander Fraser Tytler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:
  • From bondage to spiritual faith;
  • From spiritual faith to great courage;
  • From courage to liberty;
  • From liberty to abundance;
  • From abundance to selfishness;
  • From selfishness to complacency;
  • From complacency to apathy;
  • From apathy to dependence;
  • From dependence back into bondage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies