Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quick enough. Just a thought, Harry Reid does not have enough vote to override a filibuster . The Dems need more than a simple majority. I am not happy about the gridlock ether. It IS his job to count votes, that's why he is the leader.It was not that long ago that Healthcare passed, it wasn't easy if you recall. What got passed was not to my liking, and I was not alone. What we need is a way to get rid of Insurance Companies, big Pharma too, the Right endorsed, it was very costly and did more harm than good.
Watch the debates, they are only a few min. Away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,608,271 times
Originally Posted by actonbell
Quote:
Does America not have a Congress and a House to put a stop to a President's whims?

Where were they when all these things that Americans don't see as appropriate go on? All out on sick day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It's called lobbyist, K street, and the elected nuts trying to protect their jobs . It does go on in both parties., always has.. However in the old days, they WERE more like Clinton., and the lobbyist were not nearly as powerful.
So from this one can conclude that when something is to be done the lobbyist go to the President (traveling up the chain) and says, we need an executive order that will say change citizens privacy laws so they are less, the housing bubble to pop, the ball outs to begin, etc...and the President does it?

Is that how it is that we blame the President for all that ails the American dream?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 10-23-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: added my quote

Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People expect problems to be solved like a 30 minute tv program.

There are known unknowns like our former SOS told us.

What did anybody think was going to happen when we invaded Iraq? This war in the ME is not going away for 3 or 4 generations. Think northern Ireland. The USA military is going to continue to say we need more of everything.

If the government had let the car companies go into bankruptcy, what would the pension liability have been? What would the unemployment insurance cost have been?

IMO, we need to have some long range planning in Congress. They don't gave a damn what happens past their next election cycle.

Our system of government presumes that people are well intentioned. We are living with the result of everybody being out for themselves and to hell with the rest of the country. No POTUS can fix that.
If the government had let the car companies go then another car company would have had the chance to become the big dog. They would have hired those who were in need of jobs. That is what capitalism is, yes?

As it stands, the big guys will always stay big and the little guy doesn't stand a chance in this country.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We can change this by voting for a 3rd party instead of the corrupt D and R parties!
The republican party was the independent party. So yes, that third voice needs to have a chance to be heard. Do you know why they don't have a voice?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Right, I mean correct, who would have thought that dubya's administration would ignore the terrorist warning signals, cut taxes for the upper 5%, and got the USA into 2 wars, which we can't pay for.
To quote both Bush and Obama, "it was bad intell".

Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Not to be picky but, I believe you meant to say, Does America not have a Senate and a House(which makes up Congress)
Yes. And it's okay that you're picky.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The republican party was the independent party. So yes, that third voice needs to have a chance to be heard. Do you know why they don't have a voice?

The establishment doesn't want it.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I hate to burst your love fest bubble but, if you check the record you will find Clinton didn't accomplish much until the repubs took control of the house and they FORCED him to pass welfare reform and do a better job with the budget. Which wasn't balanced as he likes to claim.

I know it doesn't mean much to dems but,:

As has been proven many times Clinton did NOT balance the budget.

Bill Clinton was suspended from practicing law in Arkansas and paid a $250,000 fine as a result of the Monica Lewinski incident.
He also paid a $850,000 settlement over the Paula Jones incident.
He was also disbarred from practicing law in front of the Supreme Court.
So Bill Clinton, a disbarred lawyer, a President who was almost impeached for lying under oath, is asking the American people to believe him when he says the best thing for the
country is four more years of Obama.
Just wanted to make sure I had that right.

With a record like this, what does that say about dems?
Okay so now we are back to Congress and it is they who are the responsible party.

I'm just trying to get at, where in the hell did the King come from who occupies the Oval Office?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
Quote:
If the government had let the car companies go then another car company would have had the chance to become the big dog. They would have hired those who were in need of jobs. That is what capitalism is, yes?
Perhaps in China, or India. That would be capitalism at work too. BUT, the first step would have been laying off people, and in this case, millions more (effect wouldn't be limited to just the auto workers, but parts suppliers, logistics etc as well). And what kind of person do you think it would take to understand the implication of adding (at least) another million or more to unemployed Americans, at a time when the economy had just shed nearly nine million?

Quote:
1- $$$
2- Lock-step, loyal, approach. People will pick up whatever is thrown at them eventually. You might recall me calling Ron Paul a useful idiot. He was used, abused, and tossed to the side lines. His followers, many on this very board, except the very few loyal ones, were guaranteed to follow the republican leadership, and did. The evidence is all around us.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Many knew this is exactly where Obama would take America.........what President ever said he was going to "Fundamentally Change America"........the real surprise was people that voted for him agreed to "Fundamentally Change America".

What does that say about our country??????
Exactly. When I head the Fundamentally Change, I knew Obama didn't believe in the American people. He didn't believe in their integrity. And apparently since he is now President looking at a possible second term, that Americans don't believe in themselves either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies