Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,029,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Lol... who's full of what? These people support getting taxes raised on themselves. They know how higher rates will affect them more than you do. They know if it will crater their businesses or personal spending. Their support defeats your bullchit rhetoric that's been hand fed to you by those Uber-greedy that would probably still fight for lower taxes even if they paid 5%.

Despite thinking that you're making some intellectual point by saying nothing's stopping them from donating more, the point of their support is that it shows that it won't have the negative affect that Republicans and the super-greedy claim raising taxes will.
perhaps you need to take a tax accounting 101 course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM

31,302 posts, read 20,854,287 times
Quote:
Lol... who's full of what? These people support getting taxes raised on themselves. .

No, they don't. Just responding to a meaningless survey doesn't mean they want to pay higher taxes.

I know a lot of rich people and none of them want to pay higher taxes.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:01 PM

31,302 posts, read 20,854,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. the wealthy didnt get that way by spending money they didnt have to spend. these people are not stupid. they might on the surface support raising taxes on themselves as a pubic relations gimmick, but behind the scenes they are always looking at ways to pay as little in taxes as they possibly can. they might push for a higher tax rate, but they will also push for another deduction or allowance or loophole they can exploit to bring their tax burden down again. and if they cant do that, they will pass the higher tax onto others if they can. for instance, if taxes are raised on those businesses making more than what ever arbitrary income level the government sets, if the business cant lower their tax burden through deductions, allowances or loopholes, they will raise their prices to cover the difference.
Exactly.

As tax rates get higher, people spend more and more time trying to avoid taxes.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM

9,700 posts, read 5,143,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's a matter of words versus actions. If they really support it, they should pay more while arguing for the rates. They could lead by example and demonstrate how much they paid. Instead, Buffet is in court to avoid paying more. Why not just accept what the IRS said you owe if you really want to pay more anyway? He could even send the money he spent on legal fees to the IRS.
Let's see if I can put this simply for you: What's the Right's argument against raising taxes on the rich? That it'll hurt the economy, right? So when the rich say "Raise my taxes" are they supporting a collapse of the economy or saying I have more than enough to spend on what I want?

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, they don't. Just responding to a meaningless survey doesn't mean they want to pay higher taxes.

I know a lot of rich people and none of them want to pay higher taxes.
No one wants to pay higher taxes. The question is about should, which implies a hefty dose of understanding if they have enough disposable income to continue doing what they want.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,029,755 times
Quote:
Lol... You guys are so transparent w/ your nonsense. If the majority of the rich say they are okay w/ getting taxed more, what does that tell you about the warnings of economic collapse that the Right & Koch Bros. having been hand feeding you.

Do you realize how much like sheep you're exposing yourselves to be? Use your own bias for second to think... how many of those millionaires are REPUBLICANS? Even the people who you're saying you're fighting on behalf of are telling you to get your chit together... lol
i dont buy into the economic collapse thing that some are suggesting, but i DO know rich people and how they operate, because i used to be around them at places where i worked. and i talked to them about all kinds of things, including how they dealt with taxes. i am also trained in accounting, including some tax accounting training, so i know of which i speak. and yes, the rich will say they are ok with being taxed more, why, BECAUSE THE RICH DONT REALLY PAY TAXES WHEN THEY CAN AVOID THEM. they will figure a way to lower their tax burden regardless of what the tax rate is. and they will do it through deductions, loopholes, allowances, and passing the extra onto others.

it sounds good on the surface to raise taxes on the rich, but you have to dig deeper than just step one. step two for the rich is tell the accountant to find a way to limit their tax burden as much as possible.

this is the problem with liberals, they think about step one, but then forget about step two, three, four, five, etc.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont buy into the economic collapse thing that some are suggesting, but i DO know rich people and how they operate, because i used to be around them at places where i worked. and i talked to them about all kinds of things, including how they dealt with taxes. i am also trained in accounting, including some tax accounting training, so i know of which i speak. and yes, the rich will say they are ok with being taxed more, why, BECAUSE THE RICH DONT REALLY PAY TAXES WHEN THEY CAN AVOID THEM. they will figure a way to lower their tax burden regardless of what the tax rate is. and they will do it through deductions, loopholes, allowances, and passing the extra onto others.

it sounds good on the surface to raise taxes on the rich, but you have to dig deeper than just step one. step two for the rich is tell the accountant to find a way to limit their tax burden as much as possible.

this is the problem with liberals, they think about step one, but then forget about step two, three, four, five, etc.
Let's say everything you said is fact... you're still not understanding how taxes work. Even w/ all the deductions, the rich are still paying X. The status quo is a marginal rate of .35X. The rich are saying we're fine paying .38X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombola View Post
They will just pass their costs on to the non millionaires.
Hahaha...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,633,645 times
Quote:
Let's see if I can put this simply for you: What's the Right's argument against raising taxes on the rich? That it'll hurt the economy, right? So when the rich say "Raise my taxes" are they supporting a collapse of the economy or saying I have more than enough to spend on what I want?

They are saying that they need to pay more to help fund the government, yet they are in court to avoid it. Given that, am I really supposed to believe that they really want to pay more? They can say anything they want, but when they have a team of lawyers to avoid exactly what they say they want, I call BS.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,836,810 times
They probably have all their money hedged against actually paying those higher taxes.
And yet how many have written checks to the US Treasury ? Why are they for this yet need to wait for tax law changes ?
More hype then reality if you ask me.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM

4,302 posts, read 4,432,658 times
It tells you that they have loopholes that will protect them because they live off of interest from sources that aren't taxed (trusts). They aren't stupid. Any money they allow to be taxed is chum for the sharks while they swim the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies