Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
No the churches profits should be taxed. That is normally the way the tax code works. Revenue - expense equal profits. If a Church does not make a profit, no tax. Churches are businesses plane and simple. There profits should be taxed.
Agreed. If a church can afford to dump all kinds of cash into crappy films etc they should have money for taxes.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Sure but while your at it include the left wing non-profit groups such as SPLC etc. I am all for taxing churches that use thier platform for political purposes. Like those that provide sanctuary to illegals.
Non profit groups that commit voter fraud by regestering mickey mouse etc.
But you'll conveniently give the right-wing non-profits a pass, eh?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But you'll conveniently give the right-wing non-profits a pass, eh?
Where did I say that? Why must everything always be black and white?
Churches etc? Meaning the right. Very few if any churches are left leaning.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Where did I say that? Why must everything always be black and white?
Churches etc? Meaning the right. Very few if any churches are left leaning.
Mention of right-wing non-profits was conspicuous by its absence.

Very few are left leaning? Aren't those that demand a tithe promoting the dreaded 'wealth-redistribution'?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
No the churches profits should be taxed. That is normally the way the tax code works. Revenue - expense equal profits. If a Church does not make a profit, no tax. Churches are businesses plane and simple. There profits should be taxed.
I guess you don't understand that collection plate money each Sunday or whenever has been taxed from the taxpayer since he can't deduct it. That sounds to me like double taxation. You?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you don't understand that collection plate money each Sunday or whenever has been taxed from the taxpayer since he can't deduct it. That sounds to me like double taxation. You?
And what does a church making use of municipal services they don't contribute to sound like?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,504,111 times
I think they have BOTH been 'bought off' (the church and its donors). I guess money 'talks' - or sometimes silences.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,853,257 times
Donations to any organization that engages in electoral politics are taxable. If I give a donation to the Sierra Club, and the Sierra Club endorses the re-election of Diane Feinstein, I have to pay taxes on the money (my income) that I gave to the Sierra Club. But if I give money to a church, and the church says voting for Romney is the Christian thing to do, the money I gave to the church is not taxable. How exactly is that fair?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Donations to any organization that engages in electoral politics are taxable. If I give a donation to the Sierra Club, and the Sierra Club endorses the re-election of Diane Feinstein, I have to pay taxes on the money (my income) that I gave to the Sierra Club. But if I give money to a church, and the church says voting for Romney is the Christian thing to do, the money I gave to the church is not taxable. How exactly is that fair?
Don't 'fair', politics, and religion together constitute something of a triple-headed oxymoron?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
So, people's money, that has already been taxed, should be taxed again because they speak their mind? A minister's income is taxed and that is all that should be taxed. Do you not realize that churches and their money do a huge amount of charity for this country? You may not agree with religion, but I would hope you would see how much good they do for communities using that money that you want taxed. Taxed for what? So that obama can throw that money on things like Solyndra or GM that shipped jobs over seas. Leave their charity work alone.
Exactly, churches do more for their community than any government. Churches pay for cleft palate surgeries, help the unemployed find jobs, give food to the needy, provide financial counseling to people who can't make ends meet, give free health care to those who can't afford it, give Christmas presents to kids who won't have a Christmas. Why do you hate the poor so much OP??

If churches were taxed, the government would just blow the money on stupid things like free Ipads for the lazy who refuse to work or new Android phones for welfare recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies