Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times

Advertisements

Lifetime, the "men are evil" channel. Haven't seen my favorite Spike channel show in a while. Hope they bring it back. It's the ultimate man show ever made. You want answers, watch "Manswers!"

Your testosterone level will spike with the show's opening.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
After all - their tagline used to be "television for women" - and they still do aim for a female target audience.

Why is there no "television for men"?

Also, why do many of Lifetime's movies seem to portray women as crime victims?

Isn't that a negative portrayal of women - and wouldn't it be better to broadcast programs that present women as strong, capable, and independent?
Lifetime - Home of Bad Scripts and Worse Acting.

Lifetime - Movies For People Who Miss Soaps.

Lifetime - Seriously, There Was Nothing Else On Right Now?

Gah. Tripe.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well - my teen-ager refers to it as the 'man-hating' channel. So, that's definitely the perception. I rarely watch it.
I call it the cheesy channel.

Seriously though, anyone can spin Lifetime in any direction. Women are constantly getting murdered, beaten, or cheated on the films they air, if anything it's misogynistic. See how I spun that

Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,595,629 times
Imo, both channels for real life drama of lower to middle class white people.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You want answers, watch "Manswers!"
I want the TRUTH!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
No televison for men? Have you ever watched Spike? Or something called ESPN? Geeze you people make me wonder sometimes, do you really sit at home and wonder: Is life time sexist, I mean really.
What does ESPN have to do with men, specifically?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM

465 posts, read 507,668 times
Quote:
After all - their tagline used to be "television for women" - and they still do aim for a female target audience.

Isn't that a negative portrayal of women - and wouldn't it be better to broadcast programs that present women as strong, capable, and independent?
Spike (TV channel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you'll see that it was targeted for men and as long as it's a private company no, if either were gov't owned then yes but you can start cooking networks, soap networks, sports networks even say it's for men...which some of the Spike tv commercials originally did but it's not a big deal as long as it's private organizations it's not illegal...for example even if people like it or don't like it the boy scouts can decide to not let gays in...

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports

Home | Outdoor Channel | America's Leader in Outdoor TV

Military Channel : Wars, Weapons, Games, Top Ten Lists

SPIKE TV Official Website: Check out highlights and full episodes from your favorite SPIKE shows!

The above are all networks that in varying degrees target primarily men as their target audience. There are more but that's a good start.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I agree that those networks have a target audience that is male - but unlike Lifetime - they never directly stated that as part of their advertising.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
What does ESPN have to do with men, specifically?
Men specifically watch and follow sports at a much higher rate than women. Male sports are disproportionately covered and featured on ESPN. (This only makes sense since men are their primary target audience and men overwhelmingly prefer male sports to female sports.) Also much of their advertising is directed at men, specifically men in the 18-40 year old demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies